Decapitation

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Gragas, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Rtugok Developer

Does it have a head? Decapitate. (Insert joke about how non-humanoids have heads and can't be Headshotted)

For real though: When wielding a 2-handed weapon, this ability allows you to strike low level enemies with incredible destructive power. At rank 1, this will affect npcs level 84 and below with each rank increasing the maximum level by 2.

It does not mention anything about needing to be humanoid.
  2. Falos Augur

Boy I sure wish assassinate and headshot and assassinate could crit like decapitate does..

Also, out of all three 'kill' abilities the only one that makes ANY sense on not working on humanoids would be assassinate... I'm guessing someone got it backwards and made decapitate work like assassinate should have IMO IMO.

[32338] Decapitation
    Target: Single (If Type 844)
    Range: 200
    Resist: Physical
    Casting: 0s, Recast: 1.5s
    1: Decrease Current HP by 179200
    Text: Your head is nearly severed

Adding burn discs + the fact that this ability can crit to the equation = it absolutely obliterates headshot and assassinate in terms of power and functionality.... and i'm not saying this out of jealousy (I'm a mage main), heck i'll probably be leveling a zerker just because of how OP this ability is.

Oh also: the casting messages: Apparently Decapitate requires an enemy to have a head, yet it works on mobs that headshot does not work on... rofl?
    Cast by you: Your decapitating blow nearly severs your enemy's head!
    Cast on you:
    Your head is nearly severed
  3. Songsa Augur

So you're saying that suddenly berserkers have an ability better (because it works on every mobs below a certain level vs only humanoids for rogues/rangers) than historical assassins. Next is what? give an improved fd or track to "insert class here"?
    I have a hard time understanding the logic in this game now...
  4. Shang Augur

NOW I'LL NEVER GET MY EPIC
  5. Behelit Augur

umm none of zerkers burn discs or abilities will mod the dmg from Decap since its still direct damage and not a melee atk. yes it can crit, but seeing as how we have little in the way of direct dmg crit aa's or mods i dont see what you're talking about.
  6. Rtugok Developer

Did historical assassins typically stalk and assassinate bears?
    Mykaylla, Dafury and Dzarn like this.
  7. Hatsee Augur

Yes.

I know many assassins so I know my information is accurate and true.
    Mykaylla and Rtugok like this.
  8. Vain New Member

Did historical berzerkers typical run around and decapitate bears?
  9. Elwin New Member

Interesting post by Piestro says, "While it would be ideal for every ability to make perfect logical sense, there are larger considerations. Decapitate (by my understanding) is much more limited in some ways than headshot (in terms of needing to be in melee range for instance). Perhaps the developers felt the need for it to effect a wider range of targets for that reason."

So like others, my question is why does assassinate only work on humanoids then? So we have the melee restriction zerkers have and the humanoid restriction rangers have. Add on the fact assassinate is the only one of the 3 that also requires a specific skill (only has a chance to work on backstabs).

As for the "Did historical assassins typically stalk and assassinate bears?"... I would assume historical assassins typically stalked and assassinated whatever thier target was. Human, bear, or other. :)
  10. Robnie Augur

Maybe the devs felt bad about it being broke for so long so they gave them a bone?
  11. Songsa Augur

When i say historical assassins in my mind i refer to eq history. The assassinate skill belongs to rogue since kunark, it is a class defining ability Like backstab in most rogues mind. So seeing it given in a upgraded and more powerful version to another class makes me à bit interrogative.
  12. roth Augur

Assassinate was something that did not appear for rogues until AA's. AA's did not appear until Luclin.
    Headshot was an AA that appeared for Rangers in Planes of Power. It came along either one expansion after Rogues got Assassinate, or at the same time.

And ROFLMAO at the idea that Decapitate is more powerful. As a proc, there is nothing that a berserker can do to increase its potency, while discs/AA's work for Assassinate and Headshot.
  13. Elwin New Member

Umm, your wrong. Some history for you ;). Assassinate did appear in Kunark. I played back then and remember a post on the safehouse about it so I looked it up to make sure. The post was made on 4-25-00 and last edited on 11-29-00. It is titled, "Kendrick's Comments on Kunarkian Rogues". The first line the skill is talked about is about half way through the post and says..."Assassinate At level 60, you get a chance, via backstab OR thrown weapons, to do 32000 hit points of damage to a humanoid target 48th level or lower. This does not destroy the target; it simply does that much damage.". Velious was released December 2000 and Luclin didnt come out untill December 2001. Therefore assassinate has been out since Kunark. As for if decapitate is more powerful, as a rogue, id trade assassinate for decapitate any day. Works off any melee hit instead of only backstabs. Works on any type mob vs humanoid only. The fact that it crits and crits often makes up for discs not effecting it IMO.

Oh and before I forget the "rogues wanting the best of all" comment. Please explain exactly what in your opinion rogues have the best. Im a bit bias as a rogue so maybe im missing it. Best healing? No. Best group utility? No. Best soloability? Umm no. Best DPS? ... The only thing that comes to mind is best invisibility but even that has been watered down with more and more mobs seeing through SoS. Not attacking you, im genuinely curious what you mean. Like I said, as a rogue, maybe im just too bias to see it.

Dont get me wrong im glad its finally fixed and im happy for zerkers. Im just looking for the reasoning why decap was made like it is vs assassinate and even headshot. Im not against it, just trying to make sense of the reasoning behind it all.
  14. roth Augur

Oh, ok, so the AA rogues get only increases the level of mob that can be affected. Gotcha. I stand corrected.
  15. Daedly Augur

@Elwin
    Maybe I am wrong, but wasn't it Luclin that raised the level cap to 60? If so the very line you quoted indicates it was introduced with Luclin.
  16. Elwin New Member

According to wiki, ign, random articles on kunark, etc. the cap was raised from level 50 to level 60 with the Kunark expansion. "The Kunark expansion also increased the maximum level a character could attain from 50 to 60, and introduced a substantial number of new and powerful monsters for characters above level 50 to fight." -Everquest: Ruins of Kunark, wiki. Can do a search yourself if you want to confirm it.
  17. roth Augur

Both Kunark and Velious raised the level cap to 60. Kunark did it first, then Velious did it for those who had the basic game but had not gotten Kunark yet.

Luclin did not raise the level cap at all, but instead introduced AA's.
  18. fransisco Augur

Actually Roth, there are no abilities/disciplines to increase your rate of headshot.
  19. Daedly Augur

Ahhh ok. I didnt start playing till the month after Luclin came out, so wasn't sure.
  20. Aggememnon Elder

I'm glad for berserkers that they got decapitate, and that its finally working. As an aside though, I would ask though why monks have nothing comparable to decapitate, assassinate or headshot? These abilities are great for solo xping, and we could certainly use a hand on farming light blues (hello fear shards). Or is it our turn next expansion?
  21. fransisco Augur

It's no one's turn in the next expansion. Elidroth has stated that none of the instant kill abilities (decapitation, headshot, assassinate) will ever be getting an upgrade again. Thus they won't be able to kill higher lvl mobs. So a lvl 100 could only decapitate the same mobs a 95 can now (for much less xp). Add another expansion after that, and the skills are 100% useless at max lvl.