debate question

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by bazinga, Apr 2, 2017.

1. bazinga Elder

I recently had a conversation with another player about old items...in this case it was Mask of Tinkering. I mantain that that an item like this, which is no longer available (looted), is still a great item to have. There are few of them out in the world, and even if someone would sell it, the price would be more than many would want to spend. The person i was talking with believes that it is a useless item, the illusion can be obtained by another item (Eyepiece of the Fancy Tinker) and nobody even wants the old items any more.....thoughts?
  2. Mulleteer Elder

There are also collectors. If someone enjoys having rare things it will have value. A friend of mine who use to play had all of the old sleeper tomb items. He never planned to sell them. Myself personally I don't get the draw towards illusion items. Maybe that is because I am a dark elf. We all know that they do look the best :)
  3. bunnie New Member

I love the old no longer dropped items, its kinda like bragging rights, but only to those who actually played eq when those items were more well known...most people that came along in the last 5 years wont understand those items and why they are so close to those that have them.
  4. Tucoh Augur

Any item can have personal significance, but I don't know if there's much out there that you can show and impress people, it has to be pretty rare.

Even though we just crossed the 18th anniversary, so many people have been playing this game since the early days, and if they've cared they've accrued items that aren't droppable anymore. Even if you only knew of 5 active people on a server who had the Mask of the Tinkerer, there's so dozens of this class of items that it still isn't that impressive.

I remember someone flashing a Thex Dagger to me in trade back in 2002 or something. I didn't care then and I still wouldn't really care.

I'm not sure what the ranking of unavailable items would be, but I bet the only items worth putting on that list would be items that have unique abilities that you can't get anymore. Circlet of Shadow is great because it has immense utility. Manastone kind of fits.

Additionally, I also think that NoDrop, unattainable items are more impressive. If I can drop a couple krono and get a Droppable rare item, owning one isn't that big of a deal because it's not proof you were playing the game at a high level 17 years ago.

I'd be impressed if someone had a Breezeboot's Frigid Gnasher. It's super old, you could only get it for a short period of time, it's an easter egg, was nerfed because it was breaking things and has a pretty unique effect (only clickable knockback). But maybe that's just because I remember being pissed when they took it out right when I was planning on getting it.
  5. svann Augur

The number of buyers are few so no competition so no price pressure to the upside.
    Your friend is right. But then again you may get lucky and find someone with megabucks that will pay whatever whatever.
  6. Reht The Dude abides...

Yeah, BFG is about the only old, unique item that impresses me. Add Sceptre of Al'Kabor too.
  7. Nniki Augur

Sorrowsong Boots are pretty much non-existent, and they're tradable. Any that are still remaining are probably rotting away on inactive accounts or sitting on the FV server. (Anyone have a pair on a regular server that they want to get rid of? =P)

Any of those types of items are still valued by collectors. There's lots of people out there keeping their old Plane of Mischief cards and rewards. I personally thought it was cool when they brought back the old NPCs in Plane of Mischief for Bristlebane Day 2015... but, I understand the frustration expressed by those who spent a lot of time collecting the remnant cards from the old days. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/mischiefplane-1-0-mobs-up-in-pom.219245/

I have items in my bank from old GM events even though there's no point other than nostalgia and an occasional fun link. I keep my Mask of Tinkering despite having the Eyepiece of the Fancy Tinker just because it's rare and I was around when that was the only gnome illusion clicky item available, so it's special to me. It was fun to collect all the illusion items I could. Illusion masks were all the rage for bards and rogues back then, and it was sort of driven by the community, which is lacking in today's game. You can find an old list on EQDiva.com via the Wayback Machine. Mask of Tinkering was probably on the top of most bard's and rogue's illusion item wish lists, and there were plenty of complaints by those who had one when that eyepiece was added to the game. Unfortunately, I think with the game being flooded with illusions from the marketplace and LoN, it kind of ruined a bit of that fun and niche part of the game.

But yeah, anyone late coming into the game probably wouldn't care about such items and would be wondering why such useless items are priced so high. They're only going to be worthwhile to a small set of people, mostly nostalgic collectors.