Dear Robin Flodin; Community Feedback

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Atomos, May 2, 2021.

1. Stymie Pendragon

I logged in just to quote this. Burrrrn!
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I think my number one request would be a Darkpaw Community Issue Tracker. Just like the old Daybreak Community Issue Tracker, where it has both bugs and feature requests. It was easy to search through them, add issues, and up vote ones.

Oh, and this time make sure you have backups. I had entered dozens of bugs/feature requests and they are all gone. It was a lot of effort on my part and it was all wasted.
    NameAlreadyInUse, Skuz and Nennius like this.
  3. Mesil Lorekeeper

Account to Account Transfer please if you want to make money off this game...
    Yogi the Bear likes this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

"more money"

Pretty sure they already make money off the game.
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Dear Santa
  6. Atomos Augur

I looked into it, I downloaded Brewall's maps years ago at the suggestion of one of the new player guides. Which isn't 3rd party software, the maps are just .txt files with coordinate information that anyone can edit. I'm not sure if I overwrote my Default maps, I'd like to check out the Default maps again sometime to see how big of a difference there is.

Also regarding the Bazaar history suggestion. It may not be as important for veterans, but for new players, there are 22 years worth of items that someone may have no idea of the value of. Some level 1 items still sell on the Bazaar, but since many of the items in the Bazaar have such a bizarre (yep) price range where some items are anywhere from 100p to 10000p (chump change to veterans, but a lot of money for a new player), it's impossible to know the real range of value of items. With a price history, if something hasn't sold for a very long time, it's safe to say that putting that item on the Bazaar is useless.

Regarding the debuff limit, using elementary school math to determine which debuffs have the most impact is not really what I'd call strategy. It's always been a pet peeve of mine when in an MMO you finally get into the raiding scene and suddenly a lot of your abilities are no longer usable. This was a problem in early World of Warcraft as well and all it does is cause people to be classist. You have to find a guild who doesn't mind what class you are playing but it still makes you feel like you're being a hinderance, which isn't a good feeling. Though, quite honestly, if the raid member cap is as high as it seems, then I have to say that is definitely part of the problem.

I would also like to suggest removing the cap on the amount of players that can be in a chat channel, regardless of whether it is intentional or not. Get some basic non-passworded channels, World, Trade, LFG, and Help, then let the Guides mute people who misuse the channels. The game currently puts me in 10 different chat channels by default and they are mostly dead other than the occasional WTB/WTS Krono. There really is no reason for the Continent channels. As much as I'd love to see people asking for questions/help in the Class channels, they are unfortunately just as dead. The NewPlayers channel gets a few questions everyday and no one ever responds to them.

Lastly, The Hero's Journey difficulty needs to be adjusted for the end parts of the zone quests. The final bosses are always an ENORMOUS leap in difficulty.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think some of them were designed as "mini-raids" for non-max levels, and are not intended to be groupable at all. For example: the harpy queen in blackfeather roost.

For awhile, EQ had the problem that you could only "conclude" certain questlines with a real raidforce. Having a group-version of the raid-event as a questline-conclusion for non-raiders, is a relatively new idea in EQ.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I get an argument on whether you should have to plan your dots or not but there is no argument that doing so is strategy. Whether a guild wants to follow a strategy of maximizing buffs or not is one thing. Saying doing so isn't strategic is another. I think what some are saying is they do not want selecting which dots to cast to be a part of their raid strategy.

"Strategy is important because the resources available to achieve goals are usually limited. Strategy generally involves, setting goals and priorities, determining actions to achieve the goals, and mobilizing resources to execute the actions.[2] A strategy describes how the ends (goals) will be achieved by the means (resources).[3]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategy
  9. Szilent Augur

Corwyhn, you're quoting Wikipedia now to justify telling other players they don't get to have fun participating in an activity you're not even part of. There's several major layers of remove between raid leading for dot casters and a paladin managing a casual guild. I'm not saying you're not uber enough to have an opinion, but consider your position. Evaluate whether what you're advocating for meshes with the kinds of opinions you want to have.
  10. Warpeace Augur

Sure fill the debuff box full of Bard and SK DoT's and see how long and fun an event is:cool:.
  11. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

The current buff/debuff cap is based on a software limitation, this has been stated by them. They could still have a cap for strategic reasons, but solving this issue would allow them to adjust that cap instead of having to limit spell lines to work within the software limitation. It needs to be fixed whether they keep the concept of a cap or not.
    Jumbur likes this.
  12. Yogi the Bear I have flea's

MoTM is bad, I remember doing end game in current era with 35-45 people without out gearing it. Might want to give Rogues, Paladins, Necros, and other classes a look over in balance. Rogues really could use some help.
  13. Coagagin Guild house cat

A most accurate description of this thread.

Good news is DBG is now owned by a gamer with gamer intentions and not simply an investor which has worn thin over the years. Ask for more development and marketing resources not specific wishlists for "Santa Robin" or Monte "Robin" Haul isn't going to gather much in the way of attention.

Still sounds promising. Lets see if Jen and company can bend an ear a bit and get those resources. I know they hired three to replace others who have left but an additional resource or two would go along way to help this community.
  14. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

This is a silly rebuttal. In your raids, do the players get to do what they want as long as they are having fun or do they have to follow the direction of the raid leaders to achieve a common goal? Managing dots is no different then any other aspect of raiding.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Nennius like this.
  15. Szilent Augur

It is different. "Don't use silly stuff" is a whole different animal than "it's actually impossible for dotters to use the core powers of their class"

debuffs can be considered separately since those aren't per-character.

Necros take from nine to a dozen slots each. No silly stuff, high dps dots.
    Shaman take four to six slots each. Again, no silly stuff.
    Druids three each for dps dots only
    Enchanters two
    Beastlords two
    Rangers one
    Bards six each, this besides the four dead-spot debuffs that they share

- that's 96/95 raid slots, already over full, for 3 players of each class just to play the juicy core of their class.

before considering:

Coalitions are one slot per class, there's up to 12 of those needing a slot.

Mnk Curse & Ber Braxi & Nec Dusk need temp slots (they don't "occupy" slots in a real sense, but the abilities fail if there isn't a slot for them)

and debuffs functionally reduce the total slots available from 95 to ...:
    Tash
    Malo
    Slow
    Cripple
    Scent
    Ro
    Frost
    Ray
    Season
    Somn
    Contortion
    Gouge
    Claw
    Knee
    Gut
    Pin
    Dirge
    Ennui
    Reptile
    war/rog spire
    Dance
    Intimidate procs from rog, ber, brd, mnk
    OPFrenzy / CalledShots / IceSynergy
    four trash bard debuffs to enable their dots
    probably a warrior tank is using Roar
    maybe a SK is running their dps disc Spite

...by my count, to ~65?

all without touching dumb stuff. No 3rd dot for beasts, or Bite proc. No Cascade of Decay or Languid Bite or last dis dot for Shm. No Cacos or Bladeds from brds, no Chill or Moonbeam for druids (even though those are, intrinsically, very fine spells), no 3rd dot from enc, no dots at all from Shd (whose dots aren't bad spell casts, they just don't quite have the oomph of those listed), no Slash or Jugular from Rog

And with no flexibility in raid roster. God forbid your guild is blessed with a fourth good necro or shm or dru or enc or bst.

"Don't Play" is not the same animal as "follow directions toward a common goal"
    Tatanka, Tour, SunDrake and 3 others like this.
  16. Szilent Augur

Would you follow the "raid instruction" "Tarvas main switch to mnk/ber because your character doesn't function in a raid environment"? Is that legit?
  17. KrakenReality Augur

Terrific post, Szilent.
  18. Warpeace Augur

Or add more Necro DoT's and ditch the Bard ones for more gain?
  19. Szilent Augur

oop, I forgot Harm Touches. those take slots, too.
  20. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I didn't say "don't use silly stuff." I said do what is best for the raid and managing dots (and debuffs) is no different than any other trade off raiders have to make to win.

I have on occasion played other classes when asked to by the raid leader. So yes. A raid isn't about me, it's about what is best for the team.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.