Dear Design Team

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Acrimony, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Acrimony New Member

Hi Asset Designers,

First off, thank you for your work.

I just wanted to ask if we could request a different asset where lighting is reduced. The "newer" models you use for mounts, armors, etc. have unnecessary amounts of glow / light reflection. The "new" bunny mounts blind you like you're staring into the sun. Not everything needs solar flare. Chain armor, cloth robes, and other similar armor pieces have unnecessary amounts of lighting elements to them. Will you please consider a different design approach? It's not fun to wear or use the stuff you make when it acts like a search light in the middle of your screen. I like what you guys are doing and I love the game - the lighting just needs to be toned down on these assets, please.

Thanks,

Acrimony
    Koshk, minimind, Rijacki and 7 others like this.
  2. Protocol Dragon Defender

Seriously, look how bright this is. This "periwinkle" mount costs $20.

[IMG]
    Yinla, Grok and MasterMagnus like this.
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Is it still Covic doing texturing?

The rabbit shown is mostly cloth, even the studs on the straps are pink, not metal looking. You should have a full black Spec map (no shiny).

Is it using the compressed normal map standard?

I get the feeling a few years ago they lost track of a tool they used to view models with in-game shading.

Then there are the flat colored, no texture 'gumdrops' in the marketplace right now.

I call it the voodoo of EQ texturing. Raising it from the dead takes a good necromancer.
  4. Tyranthraxus Grognard

5. Notinterested Augur

It only looks like that in the preview though. For whatever reason the preview window has some sort of bloom lighting effect on steroids.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I recall that part of the in-game "Brightness" problems was related to helms equipped with Faerune/Ultravision, or at least it has been in the past, but no idea if that also impacts the item pre-viewer.

I always wondered if Faerune could be *smart-switched* to only be active once light levels got low, much like Advanced Lighting.

Which reminded me that Advanced Lighting could use a low-light level *smart switch*.

And if a smart-switch is not possible, then at least a toggle function or /command short-cut to allow players to switch them on/off.

Some NVidia GFX cards had an issue with even more brightness being applied in EQ due to their "antialiasing gamma correction" setting, which could be turned off from the Nvidia control panel.
  7. mark Augur

adjust the gamma in game that should help some
  8. Ruhi Augur

uncheck 2.0 pixel shaders in the eq graphics settings and that bright white glare will go away in most cases - or at the very least dim down quite a bit. had to do this for the ice ldons myself.
  9. ttobey Developer

I'm checking with design on this one.
    Yinla likes this.
  10. Tyranthraxus Grognard

That mount is just as bright in the guild hall as it is in that preview box, and I run around 18% gama.
    Barton likes this.
  11. Jedis Arch Mage

MasterMagnus likes this.
  12. Covic Developer

Hey everyone, ya this issue comes up with old and new assets that have textures close to white. I have been working on a solution. It happens when 2.0 pixel shader is on and enable bloom lighting.
  13. Jedis Arch Mage

Hi Covic,

I do not have bloom lighting enabled, per my screenshots in this thread here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/recent-mounts-familiars-and-use-of-overly-reflective-textures.289589/. It still happens to me. Other than 2.0 Shaders, only Post Effects are enabled.

[IMG]
    minimind likes this.
  14. Covic Developer

Yes its 2.0 shader causes the extreme white textures.
    Yinla, CatsPaws and minimind like this.
  15. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Here's another example:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    MasterMagnus and minimind like this.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yeah, I used to switch off 2.0 Shaders in some very white/bright areas.

Gnome Memorial Mountain Raid event rooms were awful with 2.0 shaders on, as were much of the ToV zones.
  17. Jedis Arch Mage

Pride lions that I reported on Discord last year:

Preview window:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  18. Jedis Arch Mage

HoT lion. Can also see the issue on the golden hero armor from the market:
    [IMG]
  19. Gemstoner Elder

I'm not gonna turn my 2.0 shaders off, that lich looks too scary with correct lighting!
  20. Windance Augur

I think the fundamental problem is the number of different display settings that have an effect on the lighting models.

ToV / CoV was way to bright. Pixel shaders made everything blinding.
    ToL - Bloodfields was so dark you couldn't see the background unless I cranked up the gamma.