DBG Make an Expansion of Original EQ

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Nuther, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Nuther Augur

Put in a new player race, Orcs/Half Orcs: Warrior, Shaman, Rogue, SK, Wizard. Add new level 40 to 50 dungeons. Release it on the 20th Anniversary.
  2. AgentofChange Augur

3. Nuther Augur

Why? Original is too small. WoW popularized MMOs ten fold over EQ. Population on Agnarr is huge. A new expansion would draw tens of thousands.
  4. AgentofChange Augur

So just everyone playing live then?
  5. Nuther Augur

Gotta go with whats hot, not with whats not.
  6. AgentofChange Augur

Hmm, over your loyal playerbase that has literally kept your game alive for the past 18 years, or cater to the flavor of the month crowd. That's a tough one, but I think I'll give my loyal playerbase more expansions and let the flavor of the month crowd pay for them ;).
    code-zero likes this.
  7. Dysfunction New Member

They will release a new expansion for original EQ in 8 more weeks. It's called Kunark. It comes with a new race and some new dungeons / zones for 40-50.
    Bobbybick and AgentofChange like this.
  8. Febb Augur

Not going to happen. They are already making a new expansion. Plus your idea only caters to one side of the business as new expansions cater to all progression servers that aren't locked to certain expansions.
  9. Gemini Syringes Augur

What's funny is they could just add a single new zone with a few new dungeons and with /pick, it'd be more than enough to sate the classic crowd. It's not as if they'd have to make an entirely new expansion. But new races take a lot of time and they don't have the resources for that.
  10. Risiko Augur

Yes.
  11. Risiko Augur

They could actually just take the content of existing expansions STARTING at Gates of Discord, and do the following:
    1. Cap the player level at 65
    2. Lower the monster levels down to accommodate level 65
    3. Remove spells/abilities/AAs for that expansion that would be upgrades to above level 65 content
    Release it as TLP expansions.
    1. Gates of Discord TLP - released 2018
    2. Omens of War TLP - released 2019
    3. Depths of Darkhollow - no monster shrouds!
    4. Seeds of Destruction TLP - no Mercenaries!
    5. ... no monster missions ever ...
    6. etc...
    No new artwork needed. No new zone work needed. Minimal work on the development side, and still able to charge $20+ per expansion to those that want to play on a TLP server and never go in to the post level 65 scene.
    Just saying. It won't happen, but I can dream right?
    snailish likes this.
  12. Auedar Elder

Alternatively, you could make the argument that people who play on TLP servers WANT it to be like original EQ, and they complain, even about all of the quality of life changes. You really are not bringing people back/adding more people to the server for adding additional content for classic EQ, considering servers are only going to be in classic for 3-6 months (most likely 3 since more players prefer that in the future).

I would have NO problem whatsoever if they opened up certain zones in classic that they didn't have previously (like the hole) I would have no problems with the warrens/stonebrunt being in place in classic versus coming out when everyone will be leveling on the moon, since the experience gain, item drops, and quests really wouldn't impact overall gear balance.

Keep in mind, they did add the hole for leveling 40-50 in classic so people were not stuck with permafrost/solb/lguk/OOT, so it would be significantly more within the realm of possibility instead of making NEW expansions, to add existing zones that were just added in later expansions but largely ignored.
  13. AgentofChange Augur

This is easily in the top 5 worst ideas I've ever heard on these forums.
    Machentoo, Genoane and Reht like this.
  14. Zanarnar Augur

Umm I now feel dumber for having read that. If you want to see the rest of the game released over time, then play on Phinny or Rage/Lock. Agnarr is a dead end, limited content server, intentionally.

Classic is classic; don't like it, wait a few weeks and you'll have Kunark which is (gasp) an expansion of the original everquest. I know right...

If you think making all those changes is trivial and not time consuming do this.. download EQEMU, grab the OOW database/quests from PEQ and then go through and balance OOW for lv65s. I'll be waiting to see how long it took you. (not that you will bother as its (gasp) very time consuming)

I'd much rather they spend their limited dev time on new content for the live folks and ironing out bugs/issues for us TLP folks.
    Reht likes this.
  15. Risiko Augur

Considering your posting history is one insult after another towards posters, that means very little. You hate everything and everybody. I'm glad I made your top 5 list.
  16. Risiko Augur

Challenge accepted!
  17. Silentchaos Augur

Why do ppl think these types of things are easy to do from a development standpoint? They're not. They can't just move a couple numbers around and bam all the monsters are tuned for lvl 65 now, they have to create an entirely new set of monsters. And they'd also have to create new items, new spells etc.
    Reht likes this.
  18. Aurastrider Augur

I think you will have better luck asking for a hardcore heritage style event on the TLP servers like they have on live or rerolling classic zones with a slightly altered name, maybe upscale the size of the zone and make it significantly higher level than its original counterpart. I guess that part could be an expansion "classics revamped" or something along those lines. This way its not really "new" content for people that want to keep it original but it also makes a lot of those zones that people flew past a fun experience at later levels.
  19. Anhari Augur

Besides Orcs can NEVER be a wizard. They do NOT do well with moving parts and complicated words! They would wind up knuking themselves more than a mob. And don't get me going on ports. Orcs can't tell direction without a map, or a wife!

Orc Wiz LFG...LFG...LFG, oh fk it! I am switching to my druid.
  20. Tinytinker Augur

I can't support your idea. It would put too many demands on the devs' time and I think it's inconsiderate you don't care how this project would affect life servers. If you want to be an orc, go play Skyrim?