DBG: Easy fix to stop boxing violations

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Fell, Jun 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That Guy Journeyman

Not really, I have my main desktop to the front of me, my laptop to my left, my secondary desktop to my right. 3 separate computers, 3 separate monitors, the only thing they share is the router. I really only 2 box on EQ (so far), to date I have only 3 boxed in other games.
  2. That Guy Journeyman

...I do play on a server that allows trueboxing. I am a trueboxer. 1 account. 1 computer. You just don't like people playing multiple characters, no matter "how" they do it. If that was true, you would have zero issue with players like myself who play 2-3 characters on 2-3 computers. That's trueboxing, and argureably, who those servers you mention were designed/made for.
  3. Elabone Augur

this thread was a waste of my time
    Nolrog likes this.
  4. Gnothappening Augur

I must have misread then. When you said you could load up two launchers it came across as 2 launchers on one computer and 1 launcher on the other. That isn't something that should be able to happen on a truebox server.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

On Truebox servers you can load as many characters as you like to the character select screen, so long as none are in world.
    Once you have 1 of them in world logging in any sucessive characters on that same PC will cause them to be booted off the server.
  6. Nykara2 Elder

Just because I have a family doesn't mean I shouldn't play with other people in an MMO. Thankfully I am in a guild of people who are friendly and chill. At 43 after having a child etc I can't exactly go for 6+ hrs without needing to pee, or see to it that my child is fed or my dogs toileted. Most people are infact in the same or similar positions. I often see gtg wife agro, afk a min bathroom or afk child needs a drink etc. It's called life. The other is what's not 'normal'.

I play with hubby and we have 1 box between us + room for others to join us, and often they do with zero issues of the odd afks etc. Its a 20 year old game, many early players now have families, life and age to tend to.

6 boxers constantly locking down camps from others, the ones using automated programs to do so are problematic for everyone.
  7. Bardy McFly Augur

[IMG]

Sorry, had to be honest.

Stop using those big words. The only reputation you're hurting here is your own.
  8. Tweakfour17 Augur

My comment was not to imply you shouldn't/couldn't be social but to point out a reason (and advantage) some people play more than 1. Sounds like you've already started that anyways with you + hubby + box you have 3 toons at once and thats more than enough to get stuff done even if you know your play time is going to be interrupted frequently. Someone who is a single box with expected frequent interruptions might just push off playing that day due to not wanting to be constantly afk in groups and/or not be able to even get into a group before having to step away.
  9. Healiez Augur

This works great when you are playing with like minded or similar players. I take no issue with it but I would not want someone like that in my group if I am being honest.

I get stuff happens, and the occasional AFK needs to happen, but it should be infrequent. If every 30 minutes someone is like "afk kid" "afk dog" "afk wife agro" I would start getting annoyed. Now if they are gone like 20-30 seconds sure, but if they are gone 5+ minutes every time, especially with no warning, that gets annoying and is disrespectful to other group members ESPECIALLY in a PUG. This fact is compounded if they are playing your puller, healer, or chanter. If you make this clear from the start, and they are ok with it, great. However expecting the group to be ok with it, and it turning out they arent, is not ok.

Now if you get a group invite and tell them hey, in 45 minutes I will need 10 minutes to put my kid to bed, that is one thing. However multiple interruptions for longish (5+ minutes at a time) to deal with RL stuff, is not ok in a pug, at least imo.

But hey, its a game, play the way that makes you happy, just dont expect other people (who pay to play the game) to be ok with the way you play.

Granted I dont have kids, or a live in S/O so I get uninterrupted playtime whenever I want. Maybe my opinion would change if I was in that position, but I doubt it.
  10. Elite_raider Augur

11. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Pro- pay for as many accounts as you like and support the game-

Anti - breaking the rules on automation. (Botting)

Pro - follow the server ruleset, which is Truebox, which means boxing is fine as long as it's by dedicated device, which is a threshold to allow a family, with multiple PCs to play together from one location, or LAN parties, etc. These instances are typically one person per device, give or take a reachable keyboard on a spouse's desk.

Which is kinda the thing.

Credit card in dad or mom's name usually pays for all the accounts at once. "Boxing", be it one human or several, has zero impact on anyone, other than to keep the game alive by >shock< supporting it..

Because of shared family payment situations, no company can truly decide or determine if 2 keyboards on 2 machines are run by 1 or 2 hands. Due to this inescapable fact, boxing will always be, and MUST be a thing.

In all systems of economy, you will find a "white" market, i,e, above board and normal trade. Simple purchase / barter systems in place. Then a "Grey" market, which will be goods or services traded in a legitimate, but out of system manner, like buying a Mercedes Benz in Germany for your US based business and privately carrying it ashore and not paying taxes or tariffs. (A loophole that was closed in the US, but used to make the point). In regions where Indian reservations exist, people often buy liquor or cigarettes to duck the tax stamp. Grey market sales.

Lastly, you guessed it, a Black market. The illicit or unsanctioned trade of goods or services.

These three states of economy exist in ALL economic systems and will never NOT be a thing.

Blaming boxing for Real Money transactions is.... naiive. It's JUST as easy to Power Level an account and sell it, or trade it for a set of brakes.

Our family of three owns a total of 10 EQ accounts. We group, we also box individually, sometimes 2, sometimes 3 accounts. Sometimes there's 3 people on 3 characters, sometimes it's 1 person on 3.

Zero automation beyond /assists and pauses and casts and autofires.
  12. wade_watts Augur

Same. I have 6 PC's that I box 6 characters on when I want/need to do something solo. It's quite simple with numpads and the right hotbar setup. It's unbelievable how toxic these anti-boxer folks are. My experience with people boxing has been great, but folks like OP that are anti-boxing are rude, try to train, make snide comments, etc.

Perhaps Norrath would be a significantly better place if the anti-boxer folks would go somewhere else.

As an example.. I used my box group to clear a path down to slab for a group trying to get their corpses back. When I got fairly close, the monk started training mobs on me and calling me names ended with "mr boxer". These folks are toxic and should show themselves the door.
    Joules_Bianchi and Metanis like this.
  13. Gnothappening Augur

I hear you. People in my pick the other day were begging for rezzes so I offered. As soon as I was done rezzing this guy from one group and was low on mana on my cleric, the group started pulling the mobs in my camp since I couldn't heal.
  14. Gnothappening Augur

I need these in my life. Do you have a link or the model number?
    Lilliee and Bardy McFly like this.
  15. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I love when people appoint themselves arbiters of the rules, then flagrantly disregard the actual rules to "enforce" their perceived ruleset.

Suspect botting? Report, petition, save a video and DM a dev on forums are all what the actual developers say to do. A rule set.

Naming and shaming, running to the forums to whine, or attempt to shame or mock developers into being your personal army, training players or otherwise griefing them because you "believe" they're breaking a rule.

all the while screaming from the rafters - RuLeS Is RuLeS! oBeY MeEeE! I'lL tRaIn YoU!

Report, in the manner that management has stated, get on with your day.

You can call the cops, you can't BE the cops FOR the cops.

Pretty simple really.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  16. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

*When you get AFK checked by a GM and have to hope they understand binary, because it's the only legible thing you can respond in*

Secondary option, interpretive dance.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  17. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Gnothappening likes this.
  18. nagash101 Augur

They also have a LARGE army of KAREN's that will petition the hell out of you and generally terrorize you for hours on end if you are boxing more then one toon.
  19. Bardy McFly Augur

Haha that's great! I only Truebox on Agnarr nowadays and I don't play in any way that would be suspiscious or disruptive. If a tell from my main computer doesn't cut it, I'll remember the interpretive dance option!
  20. Bardy McFly Augur

Gnothappening likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.