DBG: Easy fix to stop boxing violations

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Fell, Jun 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiri_ Augur

Botting - which is not the same thing as boxing - at scale is driven by real-money transactions (RMTs). And the people really driving the RMT car aren't posting on the official forums. Ten years ago they were exploiting unpaid labor. Now they're running server farms.
  2. That Guy Journeyman

At this time I would like to point out that the OP's account was created on May 26th, 2021. Almost 3 weeks ago. And I will let everyone draw their own conclusions from that and this topics history.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

:rolleyes:
  4. Bardy McFly Augur

Because the client executable needs to know coordinates and mob names/locs to be able to display them visually to the end use in the 3d rendered world. This data lives in client memory. The game's memory can be read and acted on by 3rd party software observing it. There is no way to prevent this. Windows does not have that level of sandboxing for one thing. And no amount of protections that are attempted can prevent it. Every obfuscation method attempted on any platform has been bypassed eventually, and this is on far more secure environments than Windows.

Cybersecurity is one of my roles for my company. Rule #1: You can never trust the client software. If someone wants to automate the game, there is NOTHING that can be done to prevent that by removing commands from the game. Automation does not rely on internal commands for anything beyond the most basic tasks. As long as there is a "movement" opcode, "target" opcode, "attack on" opcode, all of which are absolutely required for the game to function, then automation can take it all from there.

And no I am not one of the ones contributing to or taking advantage of automation. It's just coming from common sense and knowledge as a computer programmer and software developer for the past 30 years.

Removing the commands from the game that you want to remove will not prevent automation from occurring. Full stop, end of debate.
    Niskin likes this.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

So your contention is that most boxers are cheaters?
  6. Accendo Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.