DB intervention in economy

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by FixShamanPlease, Oct 7, 2015.

1. FixShamanPlease Elder

Do a member of DB, directly or indirectly, have the right to generate pp and buy a huge % of the Kronos available to remove them from the game?
  2. Dice Lorekeeper

Apart from increasing the plat price of Krono , what do you think this would achieve?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Nolrog Augur

So DBG would sell Krono for real life money, then go into the game, "generate PP" and buy them back to remove them from the game.

/facepalm

Remember, tinfoil hats are 24.6% more effective when the shiny side is out.
  4. rune00 Augur

Yes there are people working at DB that has this power.
    Now, I cant tell if you are asking if they exercise that right or if you want them to.
    Either way they would never do it cause it would just raise the plat price of kronos, nor should they.

There are white papers on manipulating virtual economies , you could google and read up on it if you are interested in it. Bottom line though, never ever never ever mess with a virtual economy.
  5. Vlorg Augur

they can do it.

However, if you are worried about someone messing up the krono economy... you should worry about RMT sites alot more than DBG...
    complexication likes this.
  6. Numiko Augur

I'm pretty sure any daybreak employee caught doing something like that would be fired on the spot.
    They do have some ethics there.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  7. Rhodz Augur

Not sure of the validity of either assumption made above but think about the rewards for doing exactly that.
    In effect each krono would be a gift to DBG of $18 in return for something worth exactly nothing outside of the few minutes such would require, so no free month per krono. A rising krono price would spur even more purchases of same and if handled even somewhat sanely almost impossible to spot.

Are they doing it? No idea but one more reason not to go near a krono.
  8. svann Augur

Seems to me that if it raises the plat price of kronos that is more incentive for people to buy kronos from dbg to sell for massive plat. Which means more $ales for dbg obviously.
  9. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

While possible I don't think they are doing it. I assume most of the players out there are like me and are not going to waste time playing the Baz game to get enough plat to buy Kronos at the price they are at right now. Rising Krono prices should make more people drop out of the market, not attract more buyers.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I would worry more about individual or groups of players manipulating the kronos prices on individual servers then anything done by a Daybreak employee. And I am sure Daybreak closely monitors the krono activities since any games with them would affect their profit margins.

And I think Daybreak would generate more kronos sales the LESS kronos were worth in plat. The less plat they are worth the more that would have to be bought. The more kronos are worth the less would have to be bought. I think a bigger influence on krono prices are what plat is selling for and vice versa and the third party programs that let you automate gameplay. Automated gameplay play lets you acquire large amounts of plat for very little work. This means people are willing to pay far more for kronos and will outbid or cause a rise in the prices because of this since these guys don't pay to play EQ they buy krono with plat.
  11. lancelove Augur

A krono costs $18 of real life money. If you can't afford that then farm platinum to cough up fake money for one at about 1m pp. Im not sure why there seems to be a problem understanding why a krono costs around that much platinum. If you think that's way too much platinum then go get a job and pay your real life cash for your membership.
  12. Andronicus Elder

Yes, actually they are going to start this practice regularly. It is slated to start just after Shamans get Call of the Hero, Headshot, all Wizard ports and Feign Death.
    Numiko and kraggnar like this.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

WAIT WAIT WAIT. AND when Paladins get to use warrior gear, warrior disciplines, wizard nukes, SK FD and all wizard/druid porting spells. I would have added in headshot to but seriously that would have just been overkill.
  14. Tyrolias Journeyman

the OP's question is not if they do it, why or how.

the question is do they/would they have the right to do it.
  15. Wizdons Augur

I would think DB would rather set up traders with pricey summoned items to create a damand for plat thus increasing peoples desire to buy more krono.

and if they did do any of this how would any one know? are there some sort of laws governing fictional economies?
  16. Pizzicato New Member

And Bards get pre nerf fading memories and fling abilities...
  17. Derd Augur

Boo... I thought this thread would start throwing up more conspiracies. I'm disappointed in all of you.

Employees of Blizzard have been posting on Eq boards whenever there is any changes to Eq and complaining bitterly about how bad the Eq developers treat us.
  18. Tyrolias Journeyman

85+% of the population believes everything is precisely as it appears on the surface.

Thus why the world around us is fubar.
  19. Nolrog Augur

It's not even remotely valid. It's unethical and almost certainly illegal.
  20. Aurmoon Augur

Ethics and legality are two entirely separate things. I agree that it is highly unethical but I imagine it is not illegal. If they set up an in-game vendor to buy your Krono in exchange for platinum, would that be illegal? It's a fuzzy line but my somewhat informed opinion would be that it isn't illegal.

That said, if Daybreak has been doing this, I applaud them for their creativity. I would also expect there to be some massive play sinks in the game, which there are not. So the conspiracy fails the sniff test.