Daybreak - Want new players right now? Ease up F2P restrictions and run some new player promos/packs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Alek, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

I posted a huge writeup on Facebook, listing activities for kids that are stuck at home, and I specifically listed Everquest. I also listed virtual museum tours, and following different musicians that are putting out free daily shows on Facebook and Instagram. And I also listed online D&D, through Discord or a virtual tabletop. Anybody can download the SRD, so everybody has access to the basic game mechanics. But yeah, I fully endorse promoting the game at a time like this.

At the least, we as players can share buddy links if a game has them, or direct links to download.
  2. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

30 days gold to f2p accounts is good, if preceded by some advertisements or email spam.

Make all F2P accounts that log in during the anniversary period become permanently silver, for the higher AA limit mostly.
    Willowsage and Barraind like this.
  3. code-zero Augur

Sub for a month and get the auto grant AA. Geez why not ask for a free 110 with full Conflagrant why dontcha?
  4. Metanis Bad Company

"New" players are totally overwhelmed by EQ and the hundreds of things they have to learn really quickly in order to play right. DPG should give the us veterans a krono for every noob we hand-hold through the Tutorial and maybe 10 or 12 of the Crescent Reach quests. I'm not talking traditional power-leveling, I'm talking about getting their UI and hotbars and social buttons to be functional and how to find information about every aspect of game play. I'm not volunteering myself as I'm shuddering just thinking about it. :)
    Herodotus and Whulfgar like this.
  5. Sithsonn Elder

If I was a new player, I would definitely play on a TLP server. Easier to just start out as a lvl one player, not sure if its f2p or not though
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I've gone to SOE/Daybreak and signed up multiple times to receive EQ email (I said no to other games and corporate junk) and I haven't gotten an email from them for a long time. It is very rarely that I get anything from them.

And, yes, I check my spam folder every day.

So, maybe like Daybreak could:
    • Post a copy of whatever they send out as an email as a forum post
    • Ask everyone to "opt in" to email about EQ and provide a link to do so
    • Ask everyone who did "opt in" if they actually got an email whenever they send it out
    • Follow up on those who signed up but didn't get the email and figure out why
    Just a suggestion.
  7. Reht The Dude abides...

They do, my accounts have been inactive for a few years and i got three emails on 3/16 as well.
    Benito likes this.
  8. code-zero Augur

What Darkpaw needs is new PAYING customers. Raising network traffic by a couple of orders of magnitude is pointless if you aren't seeing addition income
    Metanis, Benito and Skuz like this.
  9. Iove Elder

^^
    True.

If them want more players join EQ them just need to open new TLP server (s) now, not wait till summer, thousand of potential players sitting at home and will join new servers for sure. And this is not only students or someone without money, this is 35+ years ppl with good income and them will spend good money for game now. Why them need thousands of F2P players? Where logic here? :)

10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Some email services will auto block certain senders or auto trash those emails. If, for instance, you didn't check your Spam Folder several years ago when EQ emails were not marked "Not Spam" or "Not Junk:, the service will automatically block or trash the emails.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I agree with this. A better promotion would be to sell 1 year subs for $79.
  12. jiri_ Augur

There's significant value in just having bodies in the game. Having more people to play with is important. And some portion of non-paying people will convert to paid.
    Fanra likes this.
  13. Bealum New Member

Bonus exp? didn't they change exp with ToV so now instead of getting .100 per kill we will now see .150? I would have rather seen rare spawn increase during Anniversary.
  14. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

Give every account a limited heroic character (no currency/tradeables or a meager amount so they can buy 8 cheap bags) to let people say hey, lets explore together the parts of the content you cant see if you play zzz99 or any of the other tens/hundreds of free to play fan made versions out there. They can play with the shiny, polished, new, underwhelming pile-of-why that is the overseer system. You can set barter and trader to all silver and above accounts for an amount of time, remove AA restrictions for that time, and boom, you have people who will play for a few weeks and can probably convert some of them for what would equate to no long-term negatives and roughly 0 cost.

You arent converting new people to paying without incentives they can understand BEFORE they pay.

When I introduce people to the game, or pull older players back in, I do it on test, because we can copy everyone what is basically a heroic character (takes an hour or so to level),run them through stuff and let them go "oooooooh, thats cool" to content they wont otherwise see, without having too many restrictions on their gameplay prior to being able to do any halfway relevant content.
  15. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

If Microsoft (outlook.com) and Google (gmail.com) and Yahoo (yahoo.com) are auto blocking emails from Daybreak/Darkpaw, then Daybreak needs to contact them and fix it. This is why I suggested that Daybreak see who isn't receiving them.

Working the other way, I've gone to my spam folder and marked other email (not talking about stuff from Daybreak, which doesn't even show up there) as "not spam" and they still keep being marked as spam, so I don't think the email provider companies really use our input that much.
    Benito likes this.
  16. code-zero Augur

In all honesty this is sounding a lot more like a pitch designed by people wanting to crew up a lot of bot groups than anything intended to actually increase paying customers. Free Heroics, free all access for a month, cap removed on AA's....

Fact is that except for tanks most classes can run f2p with non-prestige gear and the RK II spell unlocker from the store...as an experienced player who knows how to leverage his box power I'd be more than happy to see what you're proposing but I seriously doubt it'd be good for the game in any way
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Skuz like this.
  17. rtfj121180 Journeyman

Why though would someone who has never played eq or any MMORPG for that matter want to jump into a game at such a high level whatever level heroic starts at?
    code-zero likes this.
  18. Keenween Elder

i dont know where the problem is, EQ ist f2p and heck, if you want more, pay for it!!! . You cant get out of the door (corona), you dont need money and can spend the money for other stuff (like EQ)

Is all free (AA, general chat , create a guild etc.) we get to many freaks, scammer, boter goldfarmer etc, and thats what i (all access member) DONT WANT (if you want play WoW you must pay for it too)
    Celephane and code-zero like this.
  19. Alek New Member

Standing Stone games already did something like this:
    https://www.mmorpg.com/lord-of-the-...ddos-content-free-for-a-short-time-2000117594

Lots of positive word of mouth and I am seeing traffic for both games spike (yes, even DDO).
    I am betting that gave them a few thousand extra paying customers.

WoW is sending out a "Come Back" e-mail. I got 30 days of free play time.

Shame Daybreak isn't offering a similar solution.
  20. code-zero Augur

Everquest is free to play, not just 30 days....

Checked out the link and if Darkpaw did something similar it would allow access to TBL and ToV content for 30 days. Not too sure that'd help