Daybreak games forever ruined their reputation, missed opportunity.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rayvorn, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Rayvorn Elder

I won't touch classic...I honestly wouldnt touch wow unless they got rid of Mythic Dungeons and Titanforge armor..even then dunno. Now..if a WOTLK server was released...I'd play that:p
  2. Cadira Augur

Speak for yourself, broseph.

Everquest is a LIFESTYLE!
    Skuz and Vumad like this.
  3. Bamboompow Augur

Its kind of funny the conundrum about pre-paying/pre-ordering games is something frowned on...if it isn't EQ we are talking about.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Good point.

I think one thing they have always done well was pre-order exclusive items. You pretty much know as time goes on it's something you're going to want.
  5. Rayvorn Elder

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...multiple_employees_in_company_realignment.php

Sadly, the cracks are starting to show. Business model needs to be changed but I am sure others will continue to disagree.

But I actually have a little hope because I feel like DBG have open themselves up to make a one more shot to save themselves. IMO...and it's what I would do (if the numbers and demands were not crazy by Brad), I would reach out to Brad and Pantheon and see about becoming the distributor for Pantheon. The layoffs allow DBG's to bring his team on, speed up the development (please DO NOT launch it early this time) and bring in a game that a large portion of DBG's player base want to play. This IMO would double the amount of subscribers that would play Pantheon at launch, especially if it became a part of the All access pass. This would also give them a legit NEW game to launch, not continue to try to keep the same games in maintenance mode.

Either way, this is the second year in a row that mass layoffs have happen. Once again with holidays just around the corner. Hope the staff find new jobs in a hurry.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Are we talking about the pre order bonus items or the deluxe and collector edition bonus items? I can't remember when the last time it was that I wanted the preorder item.

If they were smart preorder items would be really nice and after the expansion goes live go on for sale for 25 DBG dollars.

Makes people think they are saving big preordering increasing pre orders and then no one can complain who didn't pre order because they can buy it in the marketplace. Ok.. someone will always complain but still...... good idea.

Assuming DBG likes pre orders.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Well you got me there. I haven't bought an expansion in a long time. I was kind of trying to diffuse the thread a bit, and I can't really point to a specific thing (the rhino mount is kinda cool, not sure if that was ever available in the marketplace but I have a claim mount).

But mostly I meant clicky ports and exclusives that don't end up in the marketplace.

It just may be that an expansion house that doesn't require upkeep really is the best thing they could add? :D
  8. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I think we figured it out, McQuaid is back on the coke and thinks he can use these fake accounts to shill for his never finishing game in the hope daybreak will give him more cash!

H1Z1 and planetside are dead and have been. Anyone working on those games will either eventually be fired, quit, or moved to another game. Daybreak is nothing more than Everquest, EQ2, and then maintenance mode on everything else at this point.
  9. Rayvorn Elder

Like I said, people would disagree, but if you think that this isn't whats next for DCUO, EQ, and EQ2 you are just a glass half full kinda person untill you are on the street without a roof on your head, confused on how it happen. Yes these franchises will take longer but if the company was any good in the first place it could of salvaged atleast ONE of the games. H1Z1, Planetside, EQ next, landmark...Any of them. But they let them all fail. EQ, EQ2, and DCUO (which is next) are like the Lakers, Knicks, and Bulls...they just have more room before they go bankrupt.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yeah none of that stuff are pre order bonuses. Lately the pre order bonus has been housing items.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

But those are not the housing items people are asking for - we want special houses - not house items.

I found this a year or two ago on the forums, don't remember who to give credit to for putting it all together but is nice to know what I missed by not pre ordering:

" Quote : Pre-Order starts with TSS and ends with TDS. PoR there is a Warhouse Mount as a bonus for purchasing a physical copy of the game. TSS is the first EQ expansion that doesn't have an option to purchase a physical copy. Pre-Purchase begins with TBM but whoever makes the expansion page isn't concerned with accuracy and players generally parrot the incorrect term.

TSS Pre-Order: Scepter of Draconic Calling, CR port
    TBS Pre-Order: Aviak Spirit Totem, placeable and faction modifier
    SoF Pre-Order: Gnomish Steamfists, jump click
    SoD Pre-Order: Qeynos Shield of Foundation, placeable and faction modifier
    -SoD also offers previous items, my RaF account has physical box rewards from this

UF Pre-Order is a week of access prior to official release if you complete 3 in game quests
    HoT Pre-Order and/or Collector's Edition: Wailing Mercenary Contract, banshee merc
    VoA Pre-Order 1: Resplendent Sword Ornamentation
    VoA Pre-Order 2: Painting: Original EverQuest Box Art

RoF Pre-Order 1: Harbinger's Staff, City of Bronze port
    RoF Pre-Order 2: Fear Corrupted Phase Spider Metamorph Totem, pet illusion
    RoF ?Pre-Order?: Collector's Dimensional Case, 40 slot, shinies only
    -claim window says RoF Pre-Order, website only lists two Pre-Order items

CotF Pre-Order: Vestments of the Forsaken, merc BP (Hive is Collector's)
    TDS Pre-Order is 2 weeks of access prior to official release if you are All Access
    TBM Pre-Purchase: Shroud of the Bokon, illusion

And the current iteration:
    EoK Pre-Purchase: Ganak Monument, housing item
    RoS Pre-Purchase: Veeshan's Ever-Burning Sigil, housing item
    TBL Pre-Purchase: Mearatas Rock Garden, housing item

Beta access will most likely always be the primary pre-purchase carrot unless they have tiered pre-purchase. There is essentially no value in encouraging Dec 9th vs Dec 11th purchases. They could offer something like order TBL on Black Friday or earlier and receive a Geonid Illusion so they receive some financial benefit but most likely it will be Sunrise Hills "Pre-Order" items until EQ is sunset."
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  12. Whulfgar Augur

Pre order was not needed last year. Last year it was open to everyone iirc..
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Its the last one on the list - and I did not pre order and don't have it. So I can't be Zen or peaceful

"Plus, if you purchase the expansion during the pre-order period, you will also get another special item:
    Pre-Order Bonus: Mearatas Rock Garden – An artistic display of rock and swirled sand that will bring a peaceful feeling to your home"
    Whulfgar likes this.
  14. kizant Augur

It's silly to compare these games. H1Z1 and Planetside are the worst of the worst while EQ1 is still the very best in its category.
  15. enclee Augur

Very best in what category? MMORPG 20 years and older?
  16. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I've said this many times. Pre-ordering video games is a blight unto gaming. What is the motivation for game developers to make a truly great game when they sell a few million copies before the release? What else do you spend $60 or more on sight unseen? Nothing. So why do it with a video game? Are we worried about publishers running out of virtual inventory to be able to download? Gamers really should unite against it. We'd have better quality games as a result.

With EverQuest, they sort of have us by the stones. In order to raid from the months of October to November we need to raid in BETA or your attendance will go down to nothing by the time the expac releases. This is of course smart on Daybreak's part. I'm in a guild that actually tests with Dev's. So, I won't have to pre-order from the jump. Not all players have this luxury, I certainly appreciate it and it's sort of fun to get murdered by Devs losing no XP on BETA. We're able to do our part to help the game be more solid at launch. I of course, being a 20 year vet would pre-buy anyway. EverQuest is one of my few exceptions to my pre-purchase standards. I want to do my part to make sure the game continues. I'm sure most veteran players have similar mindsets.

My other exception I'm really regretting is Gearbox and the Borderlands series. I have over 600 hours played in BL1, 800 in BL2, not quite 200 in the Pre-Sequel. I'm a fan of the series. So much so I bought the season pass with pre-purchase. They've never let me down until now. BL3 was fun in many ways but frustrating in so many others and all they are doing is nerfing post launch. For some reason, Gearbox wants to avoid metas which are just a part of gaming. People will run the best most abusive builds. There's so many of them in BL2 that never received a nerf. Zero's B0re skill? The ability for the Gunzerker to abuse Moneyshot skill and a Grognozzle? He was nigh not killable and nothing did a comparative amount of damage - like not even close. They could kill "raid" bosses in seconds by themselves - the way Lilith could kill Crawmerax by herself in BL1. So, the difference now is, people can see these broken builds on Twitch, live every minute of every day. Now they feel the need for balance in a game that revolves around broken builds. It's not a good direction.

There was no way to re-create Handsome Jack. The antagonists are just annoying. The charm, brilliance and humor with Jack wasn't going to be duplicated. It's not even a debate he's the best video game villain, ever. However, the main story line was kind of stupid and disappointing. I can't say anything about the antagonists, spoilers. However, I will say: swing and a miss! Not a story most fans would be happy with. Loved characters were hardly seen in the main story. DLC's are great and all but way better writing and story would have resulted in existing character use. We killed Roland in the last game, so we're just going to throw a dart and decide these characters will meet their end in this story. They needed a strong "female figure" to be created for this story line. How about the characters you already had? Instead a character was thrown at us that fan will have no emotional attachment with because it's so unlike able and the writing around said character was that atrocious.

Add on to that the combat. Every "Badass" Children of the Vault enemy has to have a rocket launcher. A weapon players don't even use because they're awful but in an enemies' hands completely blinds you with the fire/cryo/caustic/electric/irradiated/splash damage visual on your screen. You also can't even strafe to get out of the way. The projectiles are faster for enemies and more accurate. Enemies don't need to reload a Rocket Launcher, so there's that! You just get in the face with a rocket or they make perfect contact with the nearest structure and the splash damage blinds you or outright one shots you. I'm not even going to get into Annoited mobs being in the mess. That's a whole other ball of wax and I'm avoiding spoilers by being vague. I am so disappointed. I should have known better when they forced PC gamers to buy on Epic 6 months before Steam. I should have waited for the Steam release and read the reviews.

There you have it. The reasons Gamers should avoid pre-purchasing games except for we EQers. We're a different breed. You could be buying the next Aliens: Colonial Marines. It's a laugh riot fail in the gaming industry and the best example why never pre-buy. Look it up. It's hilarious the fail.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  17. kizant Augur

EQ1 is the best fantasy based MMORPG in the world as of 2019.
  18. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This is a true statement.

Thanks DBG and the EQ team for your undying passion and relentless efforts to keep this game in top shape.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  19. enclee Augur

We’ll disagree on that. I’m a 3x lifetime subscriber, but EQ isn’t close to the top.
  20. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

And what game is "better"? Not more subscribers, out and out "better" as a traditional D&D based fantasy MMORPG?