Daybreak games forever ruined their reputation, missed opportunity.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rayvorn, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

As much as I like and appreciate the folks who are keeping EQ alive, I do think there has been a lack of imagination from the folks who manage DBG. Spells are rehashed each expansion. AA's are extended, but little that is really new appears. I have met several of the folks at DBG and even more that have departed and I do believe that they care, but where is the risk taking? Where are the exciting ideas that make folks like me that have played the game since not long after launch in March of 1999 say...WOW? BTW, I threw the date in because soooo many posts get it wrong.

Companies without a willingness to take risks and a willingness to learn from failures usually fail. Perhaps I am being too optimistic, but I think the folks at DBG have some really good ideas buried in their brains. Let them out! Let them live!
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

so be it.

All below is most certainly TLDR, really don't feel the need to read my personal situation below, but you asked.

Yep, been playing Fortnite seasons 4-10(current). They've been getting my money for some time now. For me, it's about the skins. Because, as I believe you know, I got into Player Studio and 3d modeling. And I'm into it, not only to make money here and there, which is not the point, but because it's fun for me.

I quit subbing EQ years ago. I stalled out at 90 necro with my 1.5, soloing my orb (for 2.0) was a no-go. So I started trying to two box it with a heroic mage. still nope. I decided I needed a bard and that I was going to need to work up a box crew to practice with.

While I was at it I went for a long time dream of mine, kill Naggy. Built my F2P 4 box on Brekt, because I wanted to try cold no cash or other character on the server, and a ghost town server (I like).

Got Naggy, Vox, and Phinny. Some of the proudest most fun of my EQ career.

Along the way changes have happened that I don't like, but I can suck it up.

But at this point, going back to my main, bags packed full, guild bank packed full, changes I don't even know the effect of, dwindling plat supply, and a heroic bard sidekick I still don't know the songs, haven't started macros for him yet, on and on.

It's really daunting. Sure I AM still here, and I'd like to get back into playing, my way.

But, and here's the point if you're still reading. I'm on a razor's edge, I could drop it for good in a heartbeat right now. And their strategy of getting back old players rather than trying for new ones (which makes sense I guess) seems like it could go either way. I'm really in a holding pattern until the next expansion drops.

And if you're really still reading I will say, 20th anniversary brought a sales increase to the marketplace. They brought back some people to the table, maybe EQ's health IS on the mend and it will survive another 20 years.
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Or put another way.

To laugh at chicken little for saying "the sky is falling", and leave it at that.

Is to ignore that an apple fell on chicken little's head and caused some discomfort. Maybe the 'apple falling' problem is something worth addressing?

And yet another way.

The customer isn't always right, but they always have a point.
  4. Cicelee Augur

Always wonder what someone who creates a thread like this, what their purpose and end game goal is. Vent frustration because EQ3 is not happening? Hope to get recent game changes like slow belt, riposte and fade reverted back? Truly believe that someone at DBG is going to read this thread and think "Wow this player gets it, we need to hire him/her as CEO ASAP to guide our company!"?

I have a feeling DBG knows what is going on. They have their business model that they believe in. Whether we agree or not is irrelevant to them- they have their model, they are doing it their way, they have their financial expectations, and if those are being met or exceeded then they are comfortable.

Again, just wonder what the end game of a thread like this (and others) plays out in the mind of the OP...
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  5. AcemoneyFV Augur

Why are you still here if you don't like it? People have said this game has been dying for 15 years, still going.

If you don't like it, move on. You making a post just lets me know you'll still be playing while crying the entire time. Take that negative BS somewhere else.
  6. Rayvorn Elder

My purpose for this thread is not that I want DBG to just say "we will do it your way", it's because we would like to know WHAT is actually going on in the background. Make us apart of the process, not just something they string a long. I am fine without an Everquest 3, but if they are intending on a new game or working on expanding Everquest in a "new" way, give us hope. Right now it's silence....post about something they wanna see....silence...rinse repeat. Give us weekly updates not quarterly vague updates.
  7. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

You should invest a little and go to a shareholders meeting.
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I agree. This thread could have been left with no replies.

Or even this. After 'First In Chicken Little Rights' have been claimed, why the need to pile on?

I was addressing a question to me, and responding to the negative BS chicken little dogpile? right?
  9. Rayvorn Elder

Daybreak didn't make Everquest. The game is fun and why I stick around. But I rather not have to find a "New game" that is completely different from EQ. Daybreak has been in charge for long enough to know what we are looking for in a future MMO, how about making something or give us a hint something is happening. People would be more willing to stick around and support the "revolution" then finally quit and never return. Silence is never the option if your intention is to keep the player base around. I care about the game and it's future. I care during Verant, SOE, and DBG. From other post it appears others do as well, you are tired of hearing the same old story and post from the forums because NOTHING is changing except ..the sky is actually starting to fall. Fippy is Dead. Ragefire and Lockjaw are down to 1-2 guilds pushing content (like Fippy was before...it just stopped). Agnarr is now finished and just on cruise control. Corn is extremely slow for xp and losing more people then it's gaining because the catch up is hard. Mangler is a server that won't reach the end, the writting is on the wall. Selos was a good idea. It will speed through but the downside of this server is that people will see all the content pretty fast, so afterwords are they going to want to restart on another TLP server after just doing it all? Live Servers havent changed much other then endgame guilds merging together where there is mostly 1 maybe 2 guilds per server (or no guilds) *raiding*.

Now we have the new heroic server which I love the idea but if it's Truebox it's a show stopper for me (assuming 3 months expansion release time). Phinigal is the "healthiest" server outside of Selo's but this heroic server will mostly likely directly compete with them...so might have a weird effect on their population. My point is that after this new server....what's left? A pvp server? Would only cater to a playbase that wasn't very large to begin with and a free loot server which would bring some people back but wouldnt change the content, just how you can get gear.

The ideas are running out. Yes DBG could release some special ruleset server that could be amazing (like Planes of Power expansion release but you can only use SoLuclin armor to beat the expansion *do this all the way up* the expansion tree) or something else that would take a lot of work on DBG to make happen, but I haven't seen anything from them that would lead me to believe they would be willing to put in the work to make something that time consuming for our benefit. Not saying that can't, I'm sure they can but with how often we get updates, communications, i just don't see a huge uptick in development to continue to make Everquest a game that will keep a healthy community around for the longterm. What I see happening is once these servers run out of ideas, then the community will migrate at the cost of their own dime to join together by coordinating thru the forums. I.E. Live servers merging together on their own and TLP servers basically becoming a Lockjaw/Mangler/Agnarr only combo, the rest of the servers will just stop progressing or be empty (this is based off my time on Fippy...that deadspace between Fippy and the First TLP).

You call it doom and gloom, but I'm retired now in real life (39)...and I actually want to play EQ for the next 10 years..in some form...realistic...doubtful but I can hope:)
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  10. Cadira Augur

Inb4 delete/lock
    Mazame likes this.
  11. Rayvorn Elder

Here is a perfect example of what I am talking about. Night of the Dead 2019 was just announced (an hour ago) (top of forums).

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-nights-of-the-dead-event-oct-2018

This is the night of the dead event for 2018. The only thing they changed was the date and time. Couldn't even update a new picture. No detail on items, no new items (at least not announced..which if there was new items I am sure they would be proud of it and post a picture). Just same o same o. This shouldn't be acceptable for anyone being paid for their work..doesn't matter if it's Everquest, WoW, Walgreens, heck the local high school. (If whoever is in charge of these updates isn't get paid for their time then forget what I said).

This is why I hope DBG sells the Everquest IP or changes management because whoever in charge approves of this type of lazy zero effort work is not doing the company any type of service. Nothing good comes from a job where you go to work and the first thought on your mind is "I can't wait till I get off work".
    Duder and MasterMagnus like this.
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Or not.

The more we let Rayvorn talk the more we see he has a point and more than one.

But surely yes this will be locked.

And we can go on without someone trying to burst our bubble <sad emoji>
  13. Mintalie Augur

No one needs you and your logic and reason on FQ!
  14. svann Augur

Rhetoric!
    and rabblerabble
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  15. AcemoneyFV Augur

Or maybe understand they have a very SMALL workforce. They can't make new events all year, new items for each holiday and focus on a new expansion every year with such a small team. WoW has a massive workforce compared to DBG. You can't compare the two.

Expansions seem to be the main focus every year now. Well they are small, we on LIVE servers appreciate new content. I'm okay with them disregarding some new pumpkin or skull shield to make sure the new expansion is released in good standing. Those items don't sell as good as YOU think. Dev's have stated multiple times that these items don't, even after we requested them, they sold poorly.

Why put time into items that have a very small return value? How many times have you even seen these Halloween ornaments? I don't think I've ever even seen someone equip them. Sure, some people might buy them because they collect everything but that's still a very small % of people. It's not worth the time to invest in items like that.

DBG is here to make a profit, that's all.
  16. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

17. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I sentence you to eternal watch at that Wall of Text Sire! If you stray from the Wall of Text you shall be consumed by a hundred undead dragons and really scary things that didn't really die at the Battle of Winterfell :D
  18. Rayvorn Elder

I would 100% agree with you if there wasnt full MMO's out there being produced by a SINGLE person or teams smaller then DBG's. 1 motivated employee is worth the weight of 10 employees looking for a paycheck. I also don't care how small your workforce is, post a new picture and use different words to describe this years event. Takes 10 minutes tops, especially for someone who is suppose to be a pro at using computers. Please don't get me wrong, I know the staff at EQ is probably overworked and underpaid but my issue isn't with the standard employee. My issue is with whoever is in charge. That is the single point of failure. He/She is the person who is allowing this "we are to small, it can't be done" mentality.

Here is an example of how someone in charge could change something as easy as posting a unique photo for Night of the Dead.

"Hail Norrath! DBG will be hosting another Night of the Dead event this year and we would like YOU to submit your favorite drawings, in-game photos, and small memories of this event from your past and create a posting that will be on the front of our website for the Month of October! Grand prize winner will get a credit to their subscriptions for a month (or some in-game prize).

There now you don't even HAVE to do anything. Let us do it for you, gets the community involved. Cost you 1 krono or an item already created in game.

You can have a football team with super stars (like the NFL browns), but if Baker Mayfield is your QB...you get beat 30 to 3 (Sorry to Browns fans who watched the Monday Night Football game this week).
  19. Rayvorn Elder

Also just because something has a SMALL return value doesn't mean EVERYTHING has a small return value. Just look at all these TLP bags they dropped. Doesn't take much time to create one of those but every launch of a TLP those things are gold for DBG. You don't just give up because something didn't work. Find something that does.

A quote from a book I read, " I want to retire by the age of 55 but there is no way to do that by working at my job 40 hours a week, I don't have enough after to put in savings." ..Response: " Then work 50 hours a week"

Im not saying anyone should work insane hours but there is a difference in saying it can't be done and just not be willing to do what it takes to get it done. DBG is in need of a culture/mindset change based off the communication we have been entitled too. (Totally my opinion).
  20. Rayvorn Elder

Sorry! Passion gets the best of me sometimes. I would gladly take the punishment of undead dragons ...as long as they drop that lovely faction armor!
    BadPallyGuildLeader likes this.