Day off and 6hr maintenance

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Xyroc, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Xyroc New Member

Not complaining but I was all excited to grind a few levels this morning since I would be home and then maintenance! I need to schedule around this from now on lol.

One question though why is maintenance so long!
  2. moogs Augur

3rd Wednesday of the month. Put it on your calendar and make different plans for your day.
    Zapsos and Xyroc like this.
  3. Zapsos Augur

First they need to back everything up, so that if anything breaks they can restore back, then they need to modify all files affected by the patch. then reboot the server and make sure everything is working properly before opening it back up to the public.

When dealing with 20 year's worth of code and files it takes a while.
    Herf likes this.
  4. Dragonslayer Daboss New Member

sleep during patch then play problem soulved
  5. Gromph Elder

Sounds to me like they need to invest in a better BAR system. Back ups should not impact down time as they should be made prior to such events as down time.
    Herf likes this.
  6. Tannish New Member

Haha I'm in the same boat man, just started playing EQ for the first time ever a few days / a week ago and got today off as it's my birthday. Didn't think to check for server downtime.
  7. jeskola pheerie

It's been the same Wednesday forever...you have no one to blame but yourself.
    NoWay likes this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Or it could just be that they have 22 different play servers (no idea on how many physical and virtual servers) that all have to be updated and tested prior to letting players back on and when your software is 20+ years old it isn't always designed in the best way to get it done fast.
  9. HoodenShuklak Augur

Yea.... never take this day off work!
  10. NoWay Augur

Cry more please.
  11. Crazyranger New Member

Turned into 10 hours maintenance now, 730pm EST now, additional 2 hours from last 2 hour update.
  12. Nolrog Augur

I heard a rumor that Aristo specifically contacted your boss requesting today off for you, fully knowing that it was a patch day. . . .