Data Caps

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Lassiter, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Lassiter Journeyman

Comcast is introducing a 300GB data cap for their internet customers. It hasn't come to my area yet. I understand their plan. What I don't know anything about is data usage.

How will playing EQ affect that? Will it cause me to reach the cap quickly? I'd like to understand that before it reaches me.

Thanks.
  2. Riou EQResource

EQ will have basically no effect on your cap, if you played EQ 24/7 and it maxed out what it wants/needs to use on your connection (doesn't really happen, when you're idle it basically uses next to nothing like 1/100th of max value), you will use like 10 gigs over the course of a 30 day month. add in another like 20-50mb in patches + now 2 months a year with campaign like 2-300 mb patch each.

You will be more worried about things like youtube, twitch, hulu, netflix, streaming music, etc. Things like that add up massively more over time then EQ.
    Fenudir likes this.
  3. Lassiter Journeyman

Thanks Riou
  4. Khat_Nip Meow

Lassiter,
    I have Comcast as well, also with the 300GB `cap` (though I swear at one point it was 350).
    Anyway, one of my comps is always on and I'm pretty much perpetually logged into EQ.
    I do a fair amount of browsing, viewing videos, transferring files, and watch a show or movie every night and every month for years I've always pretty much maintained ~165GB monthly usage.
    So 55% of what I'm alotted.
    Windows 10 reports over over the last 30 days EQ has utilized 4.4GB so that in itself is only like 1.4% of the cap.
    In short, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're going out of your way with constant heavy usage. Also remember that Comcast (IIRC) allows you to go over the cap 3 times over the course of a year before that penalty of $10/50GB overage or whatever it is kicks in. So that wouldn't happen until your 4th month of exceeding it.
  5. Lassiter Journeyman

Thanks Khat_Nip, that's nice to know. I'm retired, live alone, don't have a car or TV so my computer is my main source of entertainment. I would pay extra if necessary, but it's reassuring to see that I might not have to.
  6. Riou EQResource

That will help you out then, it sucks a lot with a family and everyone doing stuff :). With games being up to 50gb each nowadays + netflix/twitch/youtube using like 1-2 gigs per hour if you want the high quality settings per person, bandwidth caps are pretty brutal with a family lol.