Dark Maps

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Razzy, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I just downloaded the latest Hal's Minimap and there is no toggle button. Just a dark background. It's only one file in the zip, EQUI_MapViewWnd.xml. No toggle.
    Shindius likes this.
  2. Razzy Journeyman

Yes sir, I do realize that. It is actually easy to do it. I just run a script file that I place in maps folder and it converts them all in under 10 seconds. Copy them over to maps folder to make sure they work. Zip them up and upload it to eqinterface.com. This is of course if I'm still playing. If I ever decide to quit playing, i will upload the script file and hopefully someone would take over. It only take me 5 mins overall.

It is the only way to have a true dark theme. Unless DBG makes a dark theme and translate any 0,0,0 to 255.255.255.
  3. Razzy Journeyman

I will check that out soon.
  4. Razzy Journeyman

Looks like there are two Hal's. You'd want to try out EQInterface downloads : Updated Hal's MiniMap

That is almost exactly what you're looking for. I'm still clueless on how to add a button to switch between light and dark theme :/

On side note: I just uploaded my own map window that is extremely minimalist and this isn't for everyone -> https://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6867
  5. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Is this a file operation where you copy files from a 'dark' folder into a default folder? Or copy files from a 'light' folder? Or as Fanra mentions, a single file to copy 'light' or 'dark'?

IF SO, I have a solution for you to make social/macro buttons using the in-game /system command.

*edit*
    I see in the Hal's pack there are background_light.dds and background_dark.dds

- If this is something you overwrite a default (background.dds) with, I can help you with buttons to do that.

- If this is something you have a 'light interface' that references one file, and a 'dark interface' that references another file, you could use one file name (maybe background_flip.dds) and create buttons to overwrite that file with either the dark or light background. And then of course edit both interfaces to use the same 'flip-able' background, or one interface that does both.
    Razzy likes this.
  6. Razzy Journeyman

I will PM you tonight or tomorrow/Friday. :) TY!
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I had been waiting for 64bit to drop and test that this still works.

This is somewhat advanced, but if you want to change the map background 'on the fly' here is my solution...

-You will need to create or select and copy the map backgrounds you'd like to use (cart.tga) in ui folders.

-Copy these files to the base Everquest\uifiles\ directory as cart_light.tga and cart_dark.tga. Actually you can have others if you choose just by adding a _name to any cart.tga you like (you could make a completely transparent map back, I call it cart_blank.tga).

-Enable the /system command as instructed in-game (when you type /system)

-Create a text file in your Everquest\uifiles\ folder

-Copy and paste the below code into the text file

-Rename the file setmapback.bat

-Create an in-game macro like so:
    /pause 24,/system .\uifiles\setmapback.bat dark
    /loadskin default

This will first backup every cart.tga in every uifiles\ subfolder to cart_ORIGINAL.tga.
    Then copy the file cart_dark.tga to each of your uifiles subfolders as cart.tga.
    Then load up your default ui (this can freeze screen for a moment as it loads don't worry).

If you were using Sparxx ui, and had a file named cart_sparxxdark.tga in your uifiles folder you could have your macro like so:
    /pause 24,/system .\uifiles\setmapback.bat sparxxdark
    /loadskin Sparxx

setmapback.bat
    Code:
    @echo off
    for /d %%p in (.\uifiles\*) do (
      if not exist .\%%p\cart_ORIGINAL.tga (
        if exist .\%%p\cart.tga (echo F|xcopy .\%%p\cart.tga .\%%p\cart_ORIGINAL.tga /f)
        )
      if exist .\uifiles\cart_%1.tga (xcopy .\uifiles\cart_%1.tga .\%%p\cart.tga /f /y)
      )
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    echo SET map background %1
    echo.
    timeout /t 6