Dark Maps

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Razzy, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Razzy Journeyman

Hi,

I just want to share this to anyone who would want maps on black background. This saved my eyes and hope it will save yours too. ;)

You can download them from:

EQInterface downloads : Dark Maps

I'd like to thank Goodurden and Brewall for their hard work...
    Ragbert, Wyndar, Shindius and 2 others like this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

My UI contains a piece from Hal's MiniMap which puts a button to toggle between light and dark map background. Unfortunately, it stopped working after the last game update.

While your Dark Maps is great, the ability to toggle between light and dark is really what I've been looking for. I did look at what I'm using but to update it is a bit of work I haven't figured out. Any thoughts about whether you are planning to add a toggle?

Thank you.
    Laurana likes this.
  3. Razzy Journeyman

The way this works is I had to convert all map files (*.txt) files to display white lines/texts instead of black so it'll only look good on black (or really dark) background. If you downloaded the latest new Good's map, it will not work with the black background until you convert the map files (or download the new converted map if I uploaded them). I'm sure I can include a toggle to switch but you'd also have to select the drop down (in upper left of Map window) to switch between the map packs. I'll see what I can do :)
    Kialya and Shindius like this.
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Thanks Razzy.

It is true that toggling maps not designed for both backgrounds is not perfect. However, since toggling is pretty much instant, the ability to toggle back and forth does give a viewpoint that helps figure out what is going on.

Several of the other map interfaces offer toggling but they are too old to work with the current game.
    Shindius, Stymie and Razzy like this.
  5. Razzy Journeyman

Finally had a little time to sit down and check out the background switch button. I found this UI called Simple Switch Background Map that would switch between default and grey. It works well by switching to grey then drop down to Dark Goods then if i want to go back I'd have to click to default background then drop down to Goods (original untouched files) - that should work good for you. I will modify the default map window and add just the button to switch between default color and black background and will attach the file here sometimes this week. Shouldn't take me long.

I haven't found a need to switch back and forth as I haven't had any issue but I am still working on converting certain dark colors to make it more lighter.
    Shindius, Elyssanda and Fanra like this.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

That's exactly the one I was looking at to try to modify myself, however, I don't really have the knowledge to do it.

Thank you, Razzy.
    minimind likes this.
  7. Shindius Journeyman

As another player getting older and developing vision problems I just wanted to say thank you very much for the dark maps and the various options. They make a huge difference for me.
    Razzy and Fanra like this.
  8. Elyssanda Bardbrain

thanks! I prefer dark backgrounds too.
    Razzy likes this.
  9. Wyndar Journeyman

These maps look great. Thanks a bunch
    Razzy likes this.
  10. Razzy Journeyman

Just an update - dark maps are up to date now as of 01/11/2022

I'm still working on modified maps window that can be switched from light and dark. It is more complicated than I thought.
  11. HekkHekkHekk Augur

Thanks Razzy. My maps have always needed to be Blacked.
  12. Ssdar Augur

I know this is a bit of a late response, but reading through it inspired me to release AYA UI's map window as a standalone option/compilation UI addon here. I believe Hal's Minimap is also updated for the current game now. These are both map windows with a toggleable background.

Nice work on the Dark Maps Razzy! It's a cool idea.
  13. Angahran Augur

Just a question on this.
    I looked at one of these and it's using a graphic file for the background, so the color is fixed.
    My question is, if a window has multiple tabs can you set the 'tint color' in game different on each tab or does it change the entire window ?

Another idea but I'm 99% sure this is not possible, would be if you could have a button that sets a specific tint ?
  14. Razzy Journeyman

I will check them out! Thank you very much.
  15. Razzy Journeyman

Yeah, the cart.tga included with the zip file makes the background on default map window black. I converted all map files from Good's and Brewalls to change from black lines/text to white lines/text and most darker colors to lighter so it'll stand out. I imagine if you use those map files on custom map window with dark tint, it'll work. It's just that the map files are converted with black background in mind. I can send you or anyone the script that I used to convert the map files (it's a bash script that use sed command to search/replace the color code.) You'll need to use WSL (or Linux) to use them.

I tried to add buttons to default map window to change tint but it is so much more complicated than I thought and I'm usually good on UI mods (I made my own UI). It's still a work in progress.
    Shindius likes this.
  16. Razzy Journeyman

Just checked out AYA's map ui file. My converted map packs actually looks great on the grey background compared to original map packs. I'll have to dig around your xml file and see what i could find. Thank you again.
  17. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

It was a file called " Cart.tga "
    You mod that file.. keep the exact size.. put in your ui folder.
    I will have to check if that still works. The map would read that file as the background. So add the 'custom ' background file in your custom UI folder.

stop making me get into UI's again !! SmileyFAAce:D
    BAH..

EDIT.. yeah, it still works.
    You can find a Cart.tga file found here https://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6855
    This author even says it:
    "2. cart.tga is a ui file that makes the black background of map window. If you already have a custom UI, then all you need to do is copy cart.tga to the EverQuest\uifiles\YourCustomUI folder."

Guess I didn't read all the replies above :p I just knew what file did it from years ago and chimed in.
    /pizza
    Razzy likes this.
  18. Razzy Journeyman

Veteran_BetaTester is correct. All you really need is that cart.tga file in right place and the background on the default map window will be black. You also need to use the map packs I converted, the map packs you download directly from goods/brewall or elshwhere will not work as it will display a lot of black lines/text that will be invisible against black background. Everything you need to make it work is part of that zip file I uploaded to eqinterface.com. The readme.txt have the instruction on how to install those files.

Hope that clears any confusion.

I doubt you'd want to go back to light background after using it for a while. I have zero issues but if you have any illegible issue please let me know
  19. Razzy Journeyman

This is the map window i just took a screenshot, It should look like this. Again - everything you need to get started is in that zip file.
    [IMG]
    Shindius likes this.
  20. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I remembering making a cart.tga for a friend, it was a pastel green Grey. Wasn't too bad.
    With the need of changing maps, your getting into the area of maintenence of a UI. That is a pain.