Damage Reporting Improvements

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sancus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Sancus Augur

I'll preface this post by saying I have no idea how much effort this would take. If it diverted any significant resources, I'd be fine without it, but this is near the top of my personal wishlist.

So the idea kind of has three stages, if you will:

Self Parsing: So the first stage would be to make all of the damage a person does report to them. There may be other things I'm not aware of, but I think pet DPS is the main one. As a Mage, I don't really want to stand near the mob, but I have to in order to parse pet melee DPS. If I don't, no one in the raid can report an accurate parse for me because pet procs only report to me. I would really love to be able to parse my full DPS regardless of where I'm standing, which would require pet DPS to report to the pet's owner (preferably in addition to reporting at the mob). My hope is this is not too much extra work to implement.

Damage Reporting at the Mob: My guess is this is the more controversial part, as having more damage reporting at the mob could cause lag. My suggestion would be that this be implemented along with additional filters, so it can be turned off if unwanted. However, right now things like pet procs will only report to the pet's owner, and DoTs report at the caster. It's impossible to get a complete parse for a mob with these limitations. I'm hoping that adding that with additional filters wouldn't be too time consuming, and it would make parsing a hell of a lot easier.

Ability to Parse Regardless of Range: This is a much more complicated part, and it may be more trouble than it's worth. There are a few ways this could be implemented. What I think is the easiest way would be to expand the range on damage significantly in instances along with additional filters, but I could see that causing some issues. Making all of the damage done to all of the mobs on your aggro list report to you, or something of the sort, may also work, but I'm guessing that may be more work to implement. Other solutions might involve dynamically adjusting the range on filters based on settings, and I'm sure there are others I haven't thought of. Whatever the solution, the idea is to allow everyone to parse DPS reliably without standing right next to the mob. This is likely a lot of work and I'd be content with the first stage tbh, but as I don't know how much work this would involve, I thought I'd throw it out there.

I think there's a number of people who enjoy parsing, and I the way it currently works in EQ is fairly archaic. My hope would be to make it a little bit easier and more convenient for those of us who do enjoy DPS and parsing as a part of the EQ experience.
    Tacoheals, Sheex, Mintalie and 2 others like this.
  2. Questoften32 Augur

That could cause problems and bitterness if taken to its logical conclusion. Silly but true.
  3. Mintalie Augur

Getting an accurate parse has been an endless source of frustration for me. I believe universally players would appreciate anything that can be done to improve self-parsing. I don't think anyone has a problem using Gamparse and/or other third-party programs, just please improve the way that they can collect the data. :)
    Sancus likes this.
  4. Tolkeen Lorekeeper

When ever I parse mintygnome I always come out ahead, and I cannot figure it out. However... not just DPS parsing, but heal parses as well should be included here. I've always wanted some way to prove that a cleric or shaman sucks beyond just the sense that I die more around them. Gamparse does heal parses as best it can, but believe it or not some folks don't actually use the program /facepalm, I know!

Gnomes are evil.
    Fullwin, Mintalie and Sancus like this.
  5. Sancus Augur

This is an interesting point. TBH originally I was just going for the ability to parse my pet damage, but I figured there was a lot of additional problems with how damage reports in game.

There might be some bitterness, but IMO having the ability to parse accurately is better than what we have now where people continue to parse, but the parses are inaccurate for some. I guess it would remove the excuse some people use of parses being wrong, and it would increase the number of events where accurate parses can be created. Personally I consider that transparency a good thing. There will always be people who cause bitterness over parses; this just helps make sure they're getting bitter over accurate numbers :p
    Tacoheals and Mintalie like this.
  6. Mintalie Augur

Werd. The only people I ever hear complaining about parsing are the ones who don't bring their A-game. :p
    Sheex, Iila and Sancus like this.
  7. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Sad to say, but many don't like transparency. Just look at those tight lipped necromancers, afkin' on the trash, smoking the boss and not talking about fight club~!