Cya Everquest

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Elemental, Apr 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

That actually sounds like a pretty fun life. Great times for sure.
    Are you mad because you don't like to BBQ? Or don't watch NFL? Or is it because you just don't have any friends?
    MacDubh likes this.
  2. Bardy McFly Augur

Looks like I will be cancelling my 7 accounts and issuing chargebacks on my expansion pack purchases. This game is no longer for me if this is the direction they suddenly want to go. From the sound of it, I'm far from the only one either making the same decision or literally forced into it via bans. Bad move, DPG, bad move.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Why do the majority of rule-abiding players have to change their behavior for automators?

The rules do not permit software that affords monopolization.

1. "Just trust me, bro." I'm really at my computer playing 1 character and fully automating the other 5. Proceeds to send tell (to all boxes) and receives a response in an hour, "Sorry, man. Missed your tell due to battle spam. Yeah, I'm camping this mob."

2. It is physically impossible for the human body to accomplish tasks that software can do for them. There is an incredible advantage offered by the automation software which also happens to host mods which allows warping and tracking.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Chargeback will lead to account bans but looks like you are moving on. Goodluck.
  5. Bardy McFly Augur

I'm already fully aware because I stayed on top of what was allowed in the past so as to stay within the allowed guardrails.

All 7 already canceled. Contacting my bank Monday to do chargebacks because they were collectors editions of the xpac and there's no way I'm wasting that kind of money on something I won't even use (I only came back in the past month).
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Goodbye.
  7. Sarrona Journeyman

Can you execute all your mercs abilities and your main to the same level.... no? OMG, what an incredible advantage...

Your point is mute
    MacDubh likes this.
  8. Sarrona Journeyman

Anyone else notice that Benito is like single handedly responding and trolling EVERYONE. He has like half the posts in this thread. Perhaps he is automating his responses?
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

*Moot

The advantage element is automation. (I'm aware the pro-cheat are trying to split hairs by saying they control at least one character. Uhuh). The software enables users the ability to not be present to control their characters.

Edit: The software in question also has mods that offer warping and tracking. So it is bad all around.
    Killer Queen likes this.
  10. MacDubh TABLES!!!

The other issue you have now is every account that has been associated with use if they have been suspended or not are getting put in to the RNG for the next suspension/ban wave. So players who do want to change their ways and give up the software are getting suspended/banned regardless.

It is a pretty cruel game to play if you ask me. Don't want to risk losing your main raiding toon so you go clean, then a month or two down the road get suspended/banned anyway. What is the point.

The lack of transparency on this issue is unreasonable, and I know people will post the same cheat guidelines that have been referenced over and over here but that doesn't change the fact that these programs were deemed either acceptable or a gray area for the last ~20 years.
    Kattria Minx and Bardy McFly like this.
  11. Cicelee Augur

Why should I care if you are gone? You would not group with someone before, and you would not group with someone after.

And TBH if all who box decide to leave, then what do you have left? A bunch of people willing and wanting to group. You consolidate servers, and you have five servers with 2-3k single player accounts. Tons of grouping activities then.

So yes, you and everyone else who wants to play single player EQ all the time, if you leave that could and would increase grouping opportunities.
  12. MacDubh TABLES!!!

You would have less revenue which means less support, less to pay for content creation. This doesn't take in to account the game economy. Not to defend the position, but the market for tradeskill items in particular would be non-existant. Good luck leveling research when a sunshard ore costs 2k each and there is 5 of them for sale.

The seeds of this issue run very deep, again because this is a multi decade situation gone unchecked.
    Kattria Minx and Bardy McFly like this.
  13. Cicelee Augur

I wish I had the ability to read or listen to that conversation with the bank. That would be some top shelf humor there.

"Hello bank. I purchased something in December and used it for one month. But now I am not happy and I don't want to use it anymore so I want you to give me the money back for that purchase!!!"

Laughter ensues.
    Benito likes this.
  14. Cicelee Augur

I think you greatly estimate how many boxers/botters would up and leave. And I think I greatly estimate how many single account owners are in the game.

Only DBG knows how many box, and how many single accounts there are. The rest is guesses by either side to fit their narrative.
    ]
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Did you know tens of thousands of rule-abiding players have left Call of Duty Warzone due to rampant cheating? Even Dr. Disrespect essentially quit Warzone because the cheating reached insane levels.

Yeah, Smedley, Georgeson, and Holly deserve some blame. But Darkpaw is now enforcing the rules more effectively. So you can now praise the current leadership for their strong stance against cheating.

But do you know who also deserves blame? The players, leaders, and influencers who encouraged, shared, and recruited other players to install the software that was already known to have very sketchy capabilities. Tough luck; they knew the risks.
  16. MacDubh TABLES!!!

This is true, I can make a guess by knowing there is over 27k members on a message board, assume 10% of them are still active and on average they run 6 accounts each. That is 16,200 accounts, then consider there is at least 2 such boards double it to just over 32k accounts which is half of the 60k total active users which was posted on one of these boards.

Yes there is lots of unknowns. I don't know how many accounts anyone runs, how many forum users are still active etc. but is within reason to assume we are near 50% of the subscribers.

The one thing I am confident in is the amount of people who would sooner quit than revert to single account play is a very small portion of the population.
  17. MacDubh TABLES!!!

You aren't comparing apples to apples. War zone is a competitive game, if you play a competitive game and someone has a competitive advantage it makes the game not fun. FPS games, fighting games, etc. are not Everquest. If this was PVP I would 100% agree with you.

Also I would disagree on strong stance. If it was strong they would just go ahead and ban everyone. They have the list, they know who uses and still choose to randomly suspend. If it was a hardline stance and they wanted to give a warning for people to stop they could explicitly say "You have been suspended for M Q use, this software violates our anti-cheat policy". Then leave you alone if you stop using.

Right now they just say "cheating" and will suspend you again even if you stop as the account is flagged.
    Vumad and Bardy McFly like this.
  18. Bardy McFly Augur

I didn't purchase it in December. I already said I literally just came back. I haven't been active in 6 months. My ability to play comes and goes.

The post regarding change of stance by DPG regarding 3rd party software was posted after I resubbed, so I absolutely have grounds to the refund. I may give DPG the benefit of the doubt and reach out to them first and give them the chance to do the right thing, otherwise my bank will have no qualms with the chargeback since DPG did a 180 merely days after my resub and xpac purchases.
    Kattria Minx and Killer Queen like this.
  19. Bardy McFly Augur

The amount of activity on that "other forum" stands for itself for the size of the community that prefers that playstyle. DPG is alienating a LOT of players by taking a 180 stance on the matter.
    Kattria Minx, Sarrona and MacDubh like this.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If EverQuest didn't have social and market (wealth) components, then my argument about negative externalities would be moot. (I'd be left with the camp/mob monopolization argument).

Cheating (with advantages not afforded to all players) - unjust wealth acquisition - affects rule-abiding players in this MMO game.

You may be right: they should ban at this point. Suspensions could be "too nice." Darkpaw is likely watching the feedback here and could agree with your assessment (need for bans).
    Raccoo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.