Current XP Rates

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Balorf, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Numiko Augur

you can go from 1 to 80 in just a few seconds on live! . just buy a heroic character! :p
  2. Galt New Member

With the current rates of xp gain I'll just level up once, maybe twice, not buy sets of gear for all class types, and not participate in the low level game any more. With the piss poor rate of solo xp there is also the factor of nights when I can't find a group and just turn the game off to do something more productive like drink beer or go to walmart and observe fat people on motorized carts buying up frozen waffles and chips.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  3. Vrael Lorekeeper

So you play EQ for the leveling aspect of the game? Its fun for you to sit and stare at a wall in the same zone for days/weeks, using a small selection of abilities? Any game that has a giant barrier to entry to get to end game must have a pretty end game. The highlight of fast leveling is that you can level other characters, which keeps things interesting, and more easily farm gear for those characters which gives people something to do.

Slow levels just keep people frustrated, which leads to quitting. No one is going to quit because they leveled to fast, as it has no negative impact whatsoever. They will still take time to farm gear, to raid, and to level other characters. Or they may take a break until the next expansion comes out, but they will still play. The person who falls too far behind, or gets frustrated? They will quit, they wont be back.

Leveling doesnt become interesting until AA are introduced and you are actually doing things like LDOn/other instances that require movement and awareness.

I feel as though the people who actually enjoy'd everything pre PoP are vegetables.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  4. Kiris Journeyman

Yeah, at one glance this is not an "optimal" group. At least if someone were putting a pug group together.

But gear makes a huge difference. To be honest, I don't trust that you grasp the mechanics of exp gain if you believe you had a sub-optimal group and that your gains could be typical. The group you had is one you may consider one of the top tier set ups, especially regarding the camp.
  5. Finchy Augur

Wrong...i quit EQ2, SWTOR, ESO, LoTRO, etc. etc. because lvling was too easy and gear was too easy to get...I still play EQ because even after 16 years i haven't done everything yet...
  6. Rhiyannon Augur

my account comes up tomorrow, i'm seriously rethinking. soloing sucks as i hate pugs, the xp i strongly dislike.
  7. Vrael Lorekeeper

You quit a game because you got to level cap too fast? Theres a difference between getting to end game content, and beating end game content/gearing too quickly. Or are you suggesting that getting to cap faster somehow makes raids, that in most games requires you to be level cap to be in them, more easy to complete? Didnt think so...lets not confuse ease of leveling to ease of gearing/killing raid bosses and end game content.

Also, what does leveling faster have to do with "havnt done everything yet"? Are you saying you cant experience aspects of EQ by leveling too quickly or on alts?

Read the first paragraph in my original post, i think it applies to you.
  8. practicalnurse Lorekeeper

The proof is in the numbers today. I know it's Monday and all but wow, huge drop in the population.
  9. Finchy Augur

it's not JUST about reaching the level cap, everything a game is, is tied together. if you hit lvl cap too fast you have a ton of time for everything else, and if those things aren't in depth enough you blow through them just as fast, and you find yourself running out of things to do. You make alts, lvl them, gear them, etc. etc. eventually you get bored of doing the same damn thing over and over again...even if you have different attacks, or skills, or abilities, or spells....it's all the same after so long.

EQ isn't that way. There are dozens of same lvl content zones to lvl up through, you don't always take the same path, aren't always at the same camp, aren't always grouped with the same people, same classes. you level slower than any other game, but it never really feels all that slow because there are so many different ways to do things in this game it rarely feels like a "grind", it's actually enjoyable regardless of the xp rate.
  10. Vrael Lorekeeper

The point of my post is to compare the likely response of leveling to fast vs leveling too slowly. As you stated in your response, people who reach level cap too quickly are going to find things to do. Then when those things run out, and if they dont want to level an alt, they may take a break. But they will be back, because they like the game enough to spend that amount of time leveling and investing time into the game.

What you dont acknowledge is what happens to the other player who feels like hes fallen too far behind. The player that is constantly frustrated or wants to experience other classes/things but feels like he cant get off the treadmill or he will be to far behind to do anything relevant.

You talk about playing EQ for 16 years and still having things that are interesting/fun to do that you havnt done before, but how do you do those things while still leveling with the goal of playing and experiencing end game with the people that you have befriended during the leveling process? After all, servers release every 3 months and as you stated, after 16 years of playing there are still things you havnt experienced.
  11. Healiez Augur

Should have said, it is considered to be sub optimal... when in reality it probably beats out the typical "amazing group"
  12. liveitup1216 Augur

Yes. Most of my friends quit playing a game when they run out of things to do. They rarely/never quit because there's too much to do.

Sure lots of people cry here and claim to quit, but most either come back or just go to any other McMMO where you're spoonfed content with a little bib on and then they quit that after a month because they've consumed all of the content.

Yes, leveling is content. Sorry, but it's called good game design.
  13. Goodnews Augur

The xp rate feels hideous. Many who started on Phinigel were able to take advantage of the pre-nerf quest xp, bonus period, and I'm sure the xp pots flow like wine. Ofcourse the xp rates will feel fine to them.
    That gives them more time to farm content to sell for krono. Surprise, surprise...
  14. Rhodz Augur

Would love to play but then I think about all those hours spent needlessly at camps Ive seen a dozen times before and just dont.

People have the ability to level slower all on their own, leveling faster is a bit more of a practical impossibility. See its not enough that they can level slower they have to get everyone else to do it also.
    Still haven't seen anything approaching an explanation from DBG given this was utterly unexpected.

Going back to live where we can play free since we dont really need mercs or if we do we just pull out the T2 damage mercs and play.
  15. Mashef_8013 Elder

there is no correlation between exp and doing "everything". Fact is the server is losing population already. I couldnt get in Kunark, general or auction channels during double exp. Now it's prime time and its not full....

When attrition > incoming supply = a slow and eventual demise. This is is simple to understand even for HS students.
  16. SqueeshSqueesh Augur

More people will log during bonus exp? Shocking!
  17. Mashef_8013 Elder

Right, and more people actually play, which makes it a healthier server. So they should adjust experience to what it was at 170% as the standard...bonus on top of that would be a bonus.
  18. SqueeshSqueesh Augur

The server is still healthy. It was healthy before the exp bonus, it's still healthy after.
  19. Mashef_8013 Elder

It's already fading bro already fading. Your cliche world of neckbeard's can't sustain you forever.
  20. Vaclav Augur

Over 9 picks of Old Seb being kept alive right now... too many people for /who in Commonlands...

Dead server.

Dead, I declare it.

Get the coroner. It's already starting to stink.