Critical Miss?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Jareke, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Jareke Journeyman

Running through Oggok today on Lockjaw server on my berserker... decided to hit Destroyer's Volley on one of the the armadillos.

I saw this in my combat window...

[IMG]

I'd be curious how a miss could be flagged as a critical?
    snailish likes this.
  2. Trevalon Augur

I guess this is appropriate

Nniki, Funk and niente like this.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

The armadillo has a defense mechanism where it rolls up in a ball and only the outside armor is exposed. So, while you still hit the armadillo (hit) you didn't do any damage because of its defense mechanism (miss).

Hope this helps.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Well the armadillos in Oggok are level 1-2, so your first hit of 164 certainly killed it. Volley does 4 simultaneous attacks. My assumption based on your screenshot would be that the crit roll (critical vs. non-critical) for each of the 4 hits is determined before the actual damage roll for any of the 4 hits. It rolled for 4/4 crits, but the first shot killed it, thus rendering the other 3 shots useless and displaying them as misses since there is no living target to hit. Of course you could prove my completely untested hypothesis wrong if you get missed crits on mobs that aren't being insta killed by that volley.
  5. Raina Elder

Wipe it clean boys
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  6. a_librarian Augur

This guy is smart
  7. TLPman Augur

but i still like this answer better :D
  8. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Means you rolled a 1 out of 20, your weapon possibly breaks and/or the opponent gets a free counterattack.
    Risiko and Machentoo like this.
  9. niente Developer

This is because the combat system rolls for critical damage before later deciding the NPC is already dead and setting the damage to zero, then sending that to you maybe 3 times. Volley is really a spell and each spell effect in the list has to be checked (so 4 hits). It doesn't stop in the middle if the NPC is dead.

The (Critical) part should be gone after the February patch and we can try to see about not reporting the missed hits on dead armadillos, too.
    snailish likes this.