crit chance

Discussion in 'Casters' started by strongbus, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I stand corrected about it being original. I started playing in GoD so my knowledge of the early days is second hand.

That does make sense though since the person I talked to about crit damage said it hadn't been changed since Luclin. It absolutely wasn't 50%, that I confirmed myself when I was testing it. Crits did no bonus damage whatsoever unless you had the AAs.
  2. Darchon_Xegony Augur

You may be right but I was pretty sure the guild that was timelocked to Velious on AK was reporting over 2k Dragon Bane Nukes from criticals. I'm sure I've got some criticals in my logs from my wizard, I'll check when I get home to compare against the spell I was casting.
  3. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I mean, timelocked how? The guild promised not to level up or buy AAs or something? Because there is always that guy in those kinds of guilds that doesn't play by the rules...
  4. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Yea didn't level up or buy AAs, dunno most of them were pretty strict about it! They were deguilded for stepping foot in Nexus and PoK even!
  5. kizant Augur

Yeah that's what I try to do. Or if you aren't getting auspice at the start I try to hit FD/AD a minute before the start if possible.
  6. Fohpo Augur

That's what I figured, been sifting through some of your other posts and wanted to make sure I have it right. The app is amazing by the way, I've referred to that thing so many times.
    kizant likes this.
  7. Mookus Augur

Thanks for recapping how wizard crit chance AAs happened.

But again, I feel the need to say that wizard Fury of magic AA should be changed to 57%. It is wrong that a double standard was established over the course of a dozen(+/-) separate expansions for our crit AAs. Spell casting fury mastery.... what a joke.
  8. fohpo2 New Member

From the aDPS meta perspective, do wizards really need a significant increase to their passive crit chance?
  9. fransisco Augur

Does it really matter?
    Wizards handily outdo mages when nuking anyways.

Its like necros being mad rangers have a bigger base dot when they still do the most damage via dots.
  10. fohpo2 New Member

I don't know if making comparisons in a vacuum is the right approach...
  11. fransisco Augur

Its not in a vacuum. Wizards are the best nukers hands down.
    There is no reason the need to have the highest crit rate as well (outside of pride).
    The necro/ranger example was just highlighting an identical situation.
  12. fohpo2 New Member

Mages have the single strongest nuke under ideal circumstances. The ranger/necro example isn't identical either, because for necros to achieve the "best dot damage," they have to stack how many? Even then I'm not sure they're the best dot damage. While I agree, there would probably be a lot of unforeseen consequences with increasing wizard innate/passive crit rate through AAs, I was just pointing out that depending on how you view the topic - your reasoning is kinda being done in a vacuum or without a full explanation.
  13. Mookus Augur

Mages DPS dol
    Wizard nukes are the only component of our DPS though and need to be that much better than other class nukes to compete with classes also using melee pets and dots.
    Also, my guild wizards parses regularly are beat by other classes. We’re up there but wizarss almost st NEVEr top my guild’s raid parses. Best nukers hands down? I say that wizard DPS should almost ALWAYS beat any class’s DPS parse who can tank for a group or that can molo named. Or heal of course, but that no longer goes without saying as we’ve seen recently.

Also, pretty much fury of magic is about it for wizard AAs. While other classes paid years ago to get 57%, since the. They’ve been buying pet boost aas and I’m still buying crapppier fury.

Just make it 57 end the double standard.
  14. fransisco Augur

You are comparing apples to bananas there.

Your entire argument has nothing to do with why wizards should have a higher crit rate than other casters.
    Giving them a higher or equal rate would mean other nerfs to balance it out.
  15. Mookus Augur

Wizards should crit worse than all other casters...

Ok I’m convinced.
  16. Darchon_Xegony Augur

[Mon Jan 14 19:27:08 2013] You have gained a level! Welcome to level 24!
    [Mon Jan 14 19:29:40 2013] You begin casting Fingers of Fire.
    [Mon Jan 14 19:29:42 2013] a gypsy musician was hit by non-melee for 42 points of damage.
    [Mon Jan 14 19:29:42 2013] You deliver a critical blast! (42)

Fingers of Fire

SlotDescription
    1Decrease Hitpoints by 22 (L8) to 28 (L14)

Mana47
    Casting Time1.85
    Fizzle Time2.50
    Recast Time6.00
    AE Radius25
    DurationInstant
    Target TypePB AE
    Spell TypeDetrimental
    ResistFire (0)
    ClassesWIZ/8

So it was correctly doing 1.5x damage off innate criticals on Al'Kabor. Meaning it must've broken some time in the 2003-2018 time frame :p.
  17. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Hrm, do you have any other examples?
  18. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Yea I'm sure I do, I just stopped at the first pack of examples I came to for those logs.

Anything in specific you're looking for? This was my 5th or 6th alt on that server so he was mostly PBAE leveled 150s and I think shakerpaged 50s-65ish. I'm not sure how many single target Nuke logs I will have.
  19. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Nothing specific, I just like multiple data points to compare.
  20. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Sure. So I know that it wasn't a flat 50%. It had a range, unsure if that range was partial Resist or just that Innate criticals increase 0-50% randomly like a focus roll.

I just pulled the maximum example to show that it did indeed do up to 50%.