Creating a EQUI_TargetBuffWindow or new EQType

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Drakah, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Drakah UI Designer

This message is for the UI Dev's really since I do not know who to contract directly anymore.

With the addition of all the buffs on the mobs available, the goal here is I need to figure out how to have the Target Window's Buffs separate, just like the regular Buff Window and Song Window.

Can you introduce a new EQUI file for EQUI_TargetBuffWindow.xml ?
    Then I could just hide the buffs in the Target Window and be done.

Right now, I am currently in the middle of making the Target Window to only show the Target Buffs so it would have the same effect. However, this creates a few new problems that I cannot solve.

1) The Target Hitpoint Percent number (EQType 29) is always showing when you have nothing targeted. It should act like the TargetofTarget Hitpoint Percent number (EQType 120), but it isn't.. that one does go away like it should when nothing is targeted.

2) There is no Con Color EQType to set a graphic to colorize when you have something targeted. The "A_TargetBoxStaticAnimXX" only works in the Target Window only and cannot be used outside of it. Just like there is no Attack Animation EQType for "A_AttackIndicatorAnimXX" in the Player Window. Unless there is and we don't know the EQType name?

So, either a new EQUI_TargetBuffWindow.xml would be great.
    Or, fix EQType 29 to disappear when nothing is targeted (See EQType 120 for setting) and add in an EQType for the Con Color Static Anim.
  2. Drakah UI Designer

Is there someone I should PM?
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

My guess is that the devs are more focused on the upcoming UI-revamp for next year, and don't want to do more than the bare minimum maintenance for the current UI.
    Stymie likes this.
  4. Drakah UI Designer

Ya I believe it, but even so would be nice to get a response even if they are not willing to toss in some time.
  5. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

What about upcomming UI-revamp?
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

All we know is they plan a "new UI-Engine" for next year, according to their roadmap: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/everquest-roadmap-2022.280447/

"Engine" suggest that the change might be drastic from a technological point, maybe even a complete overhaul and replacement of core-tech. I wouldn't assume any existing UI-mods will be compatible with the new UI-engine. We don't even know if it will be based on xml-files, although I would guess it will be moddable in some form.

My guess is that they will focus on making it "play nice" with a wider range of screen-resolutions than the old UI. A lot of people complains about the current lack of scaling options for high-DPI displays.
    Stymie likes this.
  7. Voktar Journeyman

I had the same problem with the target percent always showing. I managed to create a separate target buffs windows with Con color in VoktarUI but it's not perfect.

The UI engine needs a rewamp badly.
  8. Shillingworth Augur

1) This has been a problem for a long time. If you look at the SOE Corner forum on eqinterface, you can find a conversation between Drakah and one of the reps explaining how it worked when we were all originally baffled by the mystery 0 with no target. EDIT: sorry man, didn't notice it was actually you posting.

2.a) There is a con color to colorize your target window. A_TargetBoxStaticAnim[Top, Bottom, Left, Right, Fill]. You even get an UIError entry if you don't include them even though the UI will still load. I had to set those as a 1x1 element positioned at -1,-1 to eliminate that error in mine due to only using A_TargetBoxStaticAnimFill.

2.b) There is an attack animation in the player window. A_AttackIndicatorAnim[Top, Bottom, Left, Right, Fill]. Works the same as the con color in target window in regards to errors if you don't have them and what you can do to hide the ones you don't use.

You may even break the target buff window out using some trickery with Screen elements but there are limits to it. A Screen element when rendered will set the Viewport of the graphics device. The Viewport can be thought of as a clipping rectangle, anything rendered outside of it will be discarded at a per-pixel level. Been awhile since I wrote DirectX code of any kind but IIR the Viewport also sets the reference for where point 0,0 is on the screen. If you were to use a transparent, click-through Screen element across the entire screen, the child Screen elements would be movable around the entire screen. Obviously this can create mouse-click issues, click-through only seems to apply to the primary mouse button.

Personally I would like to see an option to disable the viewport clipping rather than a whole new window type. It would open up so many more possibilities than just this one thing. An option since it's not always desirable but when you need it would be a godsend. Probing and testing how they utilize the Viewport was quite the undertaking in the past when I was attempting to produce an actual EQUI editor.
  9. Drakah UI Designer

The Con Color and Attack Indicator elements will only work in their own window, not in another. What I need is the ability to place them in ANY window, which is not possible. Sticky'd screen-piece wouldn't work since it would be bizarre on different resolutions and would be un-movable.

I made the target window to show just the buffs with a con color line under it, but it is not what I had envisioned. The target npc name is now in the player window but the con color next to the name won't work since it doesn't work in player windows.

I am letting it go for now & not releasing this option since it is not what would work well aesthetically. I will wait for there "Re-vamp". However, I did mention to them when they do decide to do the re-vamp, to ENSURE they have "Scale-ability/Zoom" to enlarge/decrease size in all UI elements and font sizes within the game itself, so all resolutions and vision-impaired folks can see the game elements.
    Stymie likes this.