Couple of Wizard Questions

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Aztaar, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Aztaar Journeyman

First off, is there a list of what raid mobs our ethereal's actually hit for full on? Do they work on voa t1 and up raids? Only ROF? Them not working in ntov sucks more than I can explain. I can't beat mages, necros, bsts, rogs. That is just awesome considering all we are is dps.

Secondly, did they fix our agro issues on ethereal's with the last patch.
  2. Beimeith Lord of the Game

There is no official list that I know of. The raid tag for spells is separate than the /con tag. Just because it /cons as needing a raid does not mean spells will land for full. This was the exact reason I was against this in the first place. It was a terrible idea to make our dps dependent on the devs to flag everything as a raid. Trash mobs often are not flagged as raid, and they often account for a large amount of the total damage dealt on an event, meaning we are crippled on that as well.

The aggro bug was fixed in the patch, yet.
  3. Beimeith Lord of the Game

yet = yes
  4. Aztaar Journeyman

Went and helped on a Valley raid and they were hitting for group.
  5. Xnao Augur

Yes, as necros can tell you, whether or not a mob is flagged raid is like playing russian roullete. However, they DID tell us they would leave raid trash non flagged though, so we could continue using swift dots on them.

So I would not expect or try to lobby for a change.
  6. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Of course I am going to lobby for a change to our spells.

Making our Ethereals conditional was a test. The results have come in that it was a bad idea because many raids are purposely not flagged that way to allow you to use your swift-dots. The way it is setup right now, someone -always- gets screwed. If it is flagged as raid, Necros get screwed, if not, Wizards.

This expansion the mana cost went up about 3x more than it did in VoA as an offset of the increased damage. We are not -getting- that increased damage as often and reliably as we should, yet we pay full mana cost anyway. It is not working as intended really.

Therefore I will be asking for our spells to be changed back the way they should have been.
  7. Trajet D'Or Augur

Ethereal Conflagration Rk. II (L75) - 1910mana; 7600dam; 3.98ratio
    Ethereal Incineration Rk. II (L80) - 2220mana +16.2%; 9500dam +25%; 4.28ratio +7.5%
    Ethereal Combustion Rk. II (L85) - 2606mana +17.4%; 11875dam +25%; 4.56ratio +6.5%
    Ethereal Inferno Rk. II (L90) - 3140mana +20.5%; 15022dam +26.5%; 4.78ratio +4.8%
    Ethereal Blaze Rk. II (L95) - 3440mana +9.6%; 20017dam +33.3%; 5.82ratio +21.8%
    Ethereal Incandescence Rk. II (L100) - 4159mana +20.9%; 27034dam +35.1%; 6.5ratio +11.7%
    Ethereal Incandescence Rk. II on Raid Mob - 4159mana +20.9%; 33792dam +68.8%; 8.13ratio +39.7%

For those interested in facts.
  8. Pirlo Augur

Then I will be lobbying to keep them the same. Wizard DPS is good now. You trying to get things changed will only end up getting us nerfed.

If you want to go back to VoA era DPS, then that's up to you. But don't go around asking to get the conditional damage altered.
    I know the wizard community will be against you on this one B, we like the extra damage.

Don't go melliflower on us!
    Lilnecro, Loratex and Xnao like this.
  9. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Pirlo, if you prefer having conditional damage that only works half the time because they don't properly flag the mobs as raid, that's your choice. *I* would much rather have the damage hit every time. Removing the conditional part does not mean removing the damage, I never suggested that ever.

There should never have been a conditional component. The base damage was too low and needed a boost. He tried this as an experiment, and it failed because half the raids don't have the flag.

Why would you possibly want them to continue to use this when it does not even work properly on half the raids? This is almost as bad as the enchanter thread where they want more Heroic Charisma when its been publicly stated it does nothing.
  10. Beimeith Lord of the Game

The goal was to prevent non-raiding Wizards from doing too much damage. In the first case this is a wrong premise, but whatever, even if they believe this, the easiest solution is to put the extra damage on the rank 3 spells. Problem solved.

"But Beimeith," you say, "what about those grouping Wizards that get a few spells from raids, won't they do too much damage?"
    No, they'll do more damage to group mobs, just like a group melee that gets a raid melee weapon. There is no difference.
  11. Trajet D'Or Augur

The goal was to increase Wizard raid burst damage without affecting areas where the Devs were satisfied with Wizard damage output. That goal was met.

If the Devs want to increase Wizard damage on more mobs, they will flag more mobs. If they want to increase or decrease the conditional amount of damage they will. The mechanic is very easy to adjust, if a patch doesn't adjust it the only reasonable conclusion is working as intended.

If you want to get into Wizard damage on trash mobs you would be looking at Gosik's Fire and Hoarfrost Cascade. Spells designed with the intention of providing the best sustained damage.
    Pirlo likes this.
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

The goal was not met because it doesn't work on half the raids. The raids were NOT designed with this mechanic in mind as it was added to our spells LONG after the raids were initially designed.

If things exist in a vacuum then they are easy to adjust, but they don't. We are now diametrically opposed to necromancers. The NToV raids lacking the flag were done so specifically for Necromancers. Trash mobs not being raid flagged was done specifically to help necromancers. We should not have to fight them for flags so we do the proper damage. It would be like making raids were only Clerics can heal for full, but druids and shamans heal for 40% or vice versa. It is a terrible idea to have two classes pitted against each other in this way.

That is entirely situational to the event, the raid makeup, and the raid strategy. Often times you want adds dead asap, which is what Ethereals are _supposed_ to do.
  13. Pirlo Augur

Bei, you are a numbers guy, a very good numbers guy. Why do you keep saying "half" ?

In ntov, yeah the dragons are flagged group. So what? Its one zone.

Shard Landing = bonus
    Danela = bonus
    Kael = bonus
    EV = bonus
    CH = bonus
    Grellith = bonus
    BG = bonus
    Xorbb = bonus

If you want to argue that trash mobs are not flagged, that's pretty weak. I know I speak for most wizards when I say "We don't care about raid trash, but we want to blow ish up when it comes to the main boss"

Everything is fine right now, Aristo did good.
  14. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Pirlo, more guilds are farming NToV than are even farming T1, much less T2 or T3 when it comes out. It is a big deal for them. There is also no guarantee that future raids will be properly flagged either.
  15. Trajet D'Or Augur

There are these things called patches, if NToV Dragons continue to take normal damage from Swift DoTs and Ethereals this is working as intended for whatever reason. While they can indeed forget things, they have the ability to correct things.

They even have the ability to patch things so Ethereals and Swift DoTs look at different flags.

I'm sure Necros want Pyre of Marnek Rk.3 to do 4500 base damage to all mobs and I'm sure Mages want Spear of Blistersteel Rk.3 to do 34k base damage to all mobs. This is simply a case of players wanting to do more damage. A request to have Ethereal Incandescence Rk.3 do 35k base damage to all mobs is no different.

Why even settle for 35k? Ask for it do 50k base damage to all mobs so you can reach a compromise of "only" 35k. Mana cost is too high too, ask for them to lower it to 1k and maybe settle on 2500mana cost compromise. Ask for instant cast and as a compromise accept 0.5sec cast time.

I'm sure Aristo eagerly looks forward to you lobbying for these changes.

Thanks for the conditional damage Aristo, it's working great, if you're unhappy with the damage output of Wizards feel free to change the non-raid and/or raid damage value of the Ethereal nukes to better reflect the damage output you intend from Wizards and/or add or remove the raid flag as appropriate.
  16. Beimeith Lord of the Game

You forgot to add Eye of zomm that can swim to your list of dumb things to ask for, Fuvi.
    Reht likes this.
  17. Pirlo Augur

Normal ethereal damage and swift dots in ntov are working as intended, per Elidroth
  18. Aztaar Journeyman

Our dps sucks! I went from being top 3 all the time to barely making top 10 in parses in ntov. Mages, Necros, Bsts, and Rog's all own us. Our best mage is beating the crap out of me, no mage should beat a wizard in a 2 min fight. I made a wizard so I could be the best at short range fights. That is no longer the case. I am with Bel 100%. Plz get us fixed.
  19. Piemastaj Augur

2min fight is not burst. You should be losing by that point or at the very least cooled off while other classes have DMG ramped up to overtake you. So a BL or Rog or nec should beat you but not a Mage? Why not when our discs last 2+ min?

I'm all for wizzies continuing to get fixed, but making illogical claims like that is going to get you no support.

As to raid only DMG, it sounds perfect but its implementation works poorly. Trash is huge for some events, same mana cost for a weaker spell is dumb. Even more so when wizzies should shine against trash given the nature of the class.
    Pirlo likes this.
  20. Naugrin Augur

I dislike the guessing game.......if you want to make it conditional, link it to the con...if it cons as a raid mob/has a 5 min ooc timer, ethereals should do the bonus dmg. Valley is a good example.......can there be a better example of a raid boss? Yet it's not flagged as such. Pitting necros and wizzies against each other just ticks both off.
  21. Robnie Augur

Make ethereals do 35k base damage to all mobs

Make claws non raid tag mob only

Win?

I can see your iff with the ethereals, raid tag mobs are hard to tell. But I can't see how you're complaining about anything with those new claw spells.