Could we please get a definitive yes/no if [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is bannable?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by asmodethenaughty, Apr 22, 2015.

1. asmodethenaughty Lorekeeper

There I said it.

There seems to be alot of confusion on the forums recently regarding this issue ever since DBG took over. Prior to this, it was a hush-hush dont talk about it, we are not sure but no one appears to have been banned etc.

Now we are seeing posts on the EQ 2 forums where some people have been banned. I appreciate there may be more to this than meets the eye and it may just not be IS boxer.

So for the record can Roshen, Holly or someone please gives us a nod or a neigh.

Many Thanks!
  2. Ziggy Augur

I have asked for this as well to no avail ....

Be ready for the incoming links to a comment from a former community manager that doesn't mention [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] and is 3 years old ..
  3. asmodethenaughty Lorekeeper

Yeah I know that will most likely happen. Just thought I would give it another go :)
  4. code-zero Augur

In a recent podcast Holly flat said that she liked boxing and considered it to be part of the game. extrapolate from there
  5. Ziggy Augur

She also said she did it old school which no one really has any problem with -- more extrapolation is required.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  6. code-zero Augur

Well maybe they feel that Piestro answered it quite well and it's not in their job description to have to write an essay everytime someone repeats a question on the forums. And just maybe if they do decide it's illegal they'll make that announcement up front during a patch message so no one will miss it since the vast majority of players don't check the forums regularly anyway
    Warpeace likes this.
  7. asmodethenaughty Lorekeeper

One would assume if there is a policy change then it would be presented when the client gets to the server menu, because clearly there has been a policy change at somepoint.
  8. Warpeace Augur

Last word was its ok to use that program because you still have to be at the keyboard to operate your characters.
  9. Mysl Augur

Using [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] by itself should be OK. Nowadays, we can use programmable gaming keyboard to do pretty much the same. I wonder if the people in EQ2 who said they are banned forget to mention that they were using [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] with other program, which allow them to be not at the keyboard at the time of play. :)
  10. Xanadas Augur

"Boxing" = Fine
    "Botting" = "Not so great" (Holly's words).

I interpret botting to be stuff like AFK macro XP farming, automated tradeskilling, etc. Anything where you're not there controlling or managing the characters directly.

Aside from that obvious distinction, I think you should feel safe as long as you're not engaged in activities that negatively affect the game-play of other people. For example AFK XP farming negatively affects others because it monopolizes mob spawns when there isn't even a real "person" there playing.

If you press them for black/white yes/no answers, they're going to give you the legal/lawyer answer, which you probably won't like. My advice is to just don't be disruptive, abusive, manipulative, subversive, etc in your game-play and I think they're probably going to leave you alone.
  11. Hendar2 Augur

I've been trying to find a link to a post I saw recently where some company claimed that Windows was unauthorized third party software.
  12. Sinzz Augur

boxing fine, macros fine as long as you are at keyboard if you afk and they check ya you can be banned, g510 keyboards and programmable mouses have and can be doing a crapton of stuff,
    if they catch you afk botting you will most likely be banned if they have enough evidence and you are being a dirtbag if you mind yourself and don't cause a crapton of cs issues you might never be bothered with , it is what it is.
  13. Taledar Elder

BAN em all. if youre gonna be a man and box, do it all like a normal player, no programs.
    Ziggy and Fenudir like this.
  14. Vaclav Augur

So women are allowed to use [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]? Sounds sexist to me!
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  15. Coldsore.Fippy Augur

Umm, no. I'll use [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] to box until Daybreak tells me not to, at which point I'll stop boxing.
  16. fazool Augur

I multibox (2,3 and 4) but I do it the old fashioned way with 2-4 PC's and 1-2 game instances running per PC.

I don't macro or auto"play" but I don't think [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is a "bad" tool. it's not like it plays the character for you. You can still use it to run multiple client instances and you still have to be there controlling your bot characters, like your cleric or chanter. It just helps you so your laggy computer doesn't have to switch windows. I don't use it but I certainly am intrigued by it.
  17. Ziggy Augur

You can also be at your keyboard running an script, does that make it ok then? The distinction is VERY small in my opinion. MultiBoxing software runs a program, botting can use script or a program and you need to have some interaction to get it started.

It if looks like a duck, acts like a duck ...
  18. Coldsore.Fippy Augur

If only your opinion mattered. But Daybreak's opinion does matter, and as far as they've said, they're okay with it, or at the very least not against it.
  19. Actonup Elder

Just buy a monitor for each account. I ran 6 on fippy and did not need [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] or macro's on my keyboard.

If you want automation just invite some one in your group and watch how that character becomes automated. You should try it, its like a merc with a mind of its own.
  20. Sarah the gamer Elder

Well I just got [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] all running smoothly, so hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a big deal.