Could someone please update me on the 'atmosphere' of Coirnav?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Vaskus, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Vaskus New Member

I played end game EQ from vanilla to the start of Luclin and had a ton of fun. I was wondering what kind of environment a progression server is like compared to some of my memories of what I would consider 'OG' Everquest.

To give a quick bar I still remember using the ign forums because they were the most stable :p
  2. Vaskus New Member

not a good start =/
  3. Worry New Member

The atmosphere on Coirnav is "progression" oriented, as in most characters are focused on completing in-era content and preparing for the next expansion unlock. The playbase is friendly and is currently the largest on Everquest. If you're looking to have a few hits of nostalgia and level through some older zones, Coirnav may feature the broadest sampling of players leveling in those zones. Having said that, Luclin is about to unlock in the near future, and unless you're planning to play somewhat "hardcore" it may be challenging to catch-up to the majority of the playerbase. Coirnav features a decreased experience rate, and you're looking at having to put in some serious hours to put yourself in a position to be able to actively participate with the majority of the server. That problem may be exacerbated over-time as future expansions unlock and you theoretically may fall further behind your peers. I think Coirnav is a great server to choose if you plan to "catch-up" and intend to stick around for future expansion unlocks and be active in progressing through Everquest from Luclin onwards.

On the other hand, if you're more casual, there is the Agnarr progression server, which is permanently locked at Lost Dungeons of Norrath (three expansions past Shadows of Luclin). The playerbase is not as healthy as Coirnav, yet it still is the second most populated in Everquest at the moment, and features faster experience rates as well as the allue of not being on a treadmill trying to catch up. You can, and will, catch up with much less initial, and continued, effort than Coirnav. On Agnarr, you'd be able to able to experience the same nostalgic romp through the zones you remember, yet you'd have to put a little more effort into finding groups as there are slightly less players, who are likely all on multiple alts already, and more zones to choose from.

So, Agnarr if you're more casual and want sort of permant Classic-ish Everquest sandbox to around in and get your "feels". Whereas, Coirnav if you intented to experience Everquest as if you were progressing through the future content like back in the day. I'd say choose based on how casual or hardcore you are.

With regards to other TLP's, I'd pass on them for you as those servers are well passed Luclin, or classic, era content. Lastly, "live" Everquest can be free-to-play and would allow you jump in and effortlessly experience Luclin-era content with an extremely minimal time investment, as experience rates, mercenaries and gear inflation mean 1-60ish can be done in a weekend and you can sightsee old content to your hearts content.

At any rate, welcome back!
  4. Everdork99 Lorekeeper

I just started a few weeks ago. Low level groups 5-10 can be found in the elf area but it can be hit or miss depending on time. 10-20 is pretty easy to get groups in one of the dungeons like Unrest. I heard the other higher dungeons are about the same way.

1-4 can be a pain due to how long it takes to level and the fact that you wont be able to twink ect..

A LOT of people on this server (and im guessing the the game in general) by Krono and buy gear to twink. I didn't but just hunting hides and bone chips ect and selling to players and then buying gear with that(hunting for great prices and selling at higher prices over the past weeks now has me in decent gear for my level range and two Krono now in the bank lol.
  5. mattie diesel Journeyman

Like above stated I'd suggest Agnarr if you exclusively love classic everquest, and Coirnav if you don't mind spilling into the newer content eventually but want an early start-point.