Content Locked Progression Servers...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Nickatropolis, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Nickatropolis Augur

I wasn't around for the original Progression Servers that I believe were content locked as opposed to time locked. (IE toughest boss of said expansion is the gatekeeper to new content). I believe that content should unlock with the defeat of the toughest boss, for example, now that SA has defeated EoV - Kunark should unlock.

Does this idea bode well with others? If not, why not? I feel like this would give people the best opportunity to play at their own pace, experience content from other expansions sooner, and keep everybody progressing at varied paces. With the time lock on these servers, pretty much every active guild will be at that same level and accomplishing things won't be very exciting since 4-5-6, possibly even 10 other guilds are accomplishing the same things in the same unlock period.

I think if Phinny was based on content defeat instead of time, the dynamic would be FAR more interesting. Thoughts?
  2. Fiyero Augur

No, because expansions are too easy to beat. We cleared all Kunark bosses in 5 days on Lockjaw. Who wants only 5 days of Kunark before Velious opens?
    Simone likes this.
  3. Nickatropolis Augur

Kunark will still be there though, for those who want it.
  4. Fiyero Augur

But how is that progression? You might as well just start the server with all expansions and let people go where they want.
    Simone and Elkay like this.
  5. Venthos Augur

Disagreed. All that does is encourage socking the content to be able to keep ahead of the curve for extreme bragging rights. Meaning, unlocks get forced on the masses out of "hah hah, we did it first" despite if 95% of the server is not ready for the unlock. Expand unlocks too far beyond what the community is ready for due to a top guild socking it, and people are going to just give up on the server because it no longer becomes a progression server for them.

In its current form, people are still able to sock the content if they like and wave around their "staff" with gusto, but it's not affecting the people who aren't trying to get server firsts and such. Everyone wins with the current time locked enforcement.

To be clear, this is not a dig in any way/shape/form against SA. The point is that SA can do their thing and the rest of the server can do their thing, whether that be "racing" SA or not, and people still feel a part of the progression. Whether you beat X boss on day 2 or day 84 of the time lock window, you still feel a part of the progression before content comes out.

On the flip side, this doesn't mean we should wait until 100% of the population defeats the current content. But, providing reasonable opportunity for other guilds to beat that content (time unlocking) versus having a single guild control unlocks (content unlocking) seems best.
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  6. Frottage Journeyman

This would only work if they had a flagging system in place . so if a guild like SA/TL would beat a boss then they are flagged for next expansions. rest of server waits like a 60 day lock out etc .
    Qelyn, ElaidaTL and Nickatropolis like this.
  7. Nickatropolis Augur

I think it would be great if they implemented a flagging system, that was sort of an and/or scenario. Be in a raid where the content's top boss is defeated, get early access to the next expansion, or get it at 90 days without defeating the content's top boss. Best of both worlds.
  8. ElaidaTL Augur

I like this idea.
  9. ID_EGO_SUPEREGO Augur

Go play on Live servers if you like this idea....
  10. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Flagging is the only legitimate way this would be viable. You have to strike a balance. Combine/Sleeper were too fast, Ragefire/Lockjaw too slow. Phinny is the goldilocks speed for most players (similar speed as Fippy, which was a very successful TLP). Adding flagging is probably the next logical step, but the raid instances have been fairly significant; I'd rather enjoy Phinny for the next couple of years and when it catches up to live or peters out lobby for a flagging progression server.
    Silentchaos and Nickatropolis like this.
  11. ElaidaTL Augur

except its nothing like playing on a live server is it.
    Qelyn and Nickatropolis like this.
  12. Nolrog Augur

This idea makes no sense. The speed at which guilds max level and beat content would mean that within a couple months, much of the game would be open. So I'm not sure how this accomplishes anything.
  13. ID_EGO_SUPEREGO Augur

Yes ElaidaTL, that's exactly what I said.
  14. Nickatropolis Augur

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't citizen just beat the 18th expansion YEARS into Fippy to unlock the next expansion? I think being able to experience 18 of 22 expansions in 2-3 years is reasonable. Aside from that, I think a happy medium is in order, as mentioned above. Flagging, beat the gatekeeper mob of classic content, get flagged for kunark, beat the gatekeeper for kunark, get flagged for velious etc. For those wanting to progress faster than others. For everyone else, wait the 90 days or whatever the typical unlock period is and have your access granted.
  15. Agrippa Augur

How fast would expansions beyond Velious be unlocked, though? I'm all for granting the folk who want to rush everything their new content, but if they do that they should ban them from any previous expansions and only have them in that newer content. This would let those that want to rush everything do their thing, while also allowing people to enjoy older content for longer.
  16. Nickatropolis Augur

Raids are instanced on the newest progression server, so locking others out of previous expansions wouldn't be necessary.
  17. ElaidaTL Augur

quoting and changing what i said to suit your delusions doesn't make you right. I have no idea why you're so obsessed with me constantly wishing to conflict with anything and everything I type on these forums but its borderline harassment. In fact im going to just ignore you. I didnt even know this was a feature.
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  18. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I mean with instancing does the back content monopolization even matter anymore?
  19. Agrippa Augur

Instancing hardly fixes people coming back to bottomfeed in older content with newer levels, spells, abilities, gear, and such. And, due to weak design, instancing isn't available upon request (with a reasonable lockout).
  20. Nickatropolis Augur

I feel like those people who would monopolize back content are going to monopolize (or try to) content anyway. Especially since they have nothing better to do with their time other than farm current expac things since they can't move on and have to wait for the the server to unlock.