Constructive feedback on Mangler and Selo

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ltldogg Augur

On the casual server, if starting with:

• Classic + RoK, then SoV expansion unlocks after 6 months
    • Classic + RoK + SoV, then SoL expansion unlocks after 9 months
    • Classic + RoK + SoV + SoL, then PoP expansion unlocks after 1 year
    Regardless, give 3-4 months between every expansion unlock. Oh, also skip LDoN; it's crap!
  2. Rithlir Journeyman

I agree that Selo seems to have quite some followers - but it's not as the casual server it was intended. If anything, keep Selos as is - people seem happy with it.

But make Mangler what the casuals want. Make exp on par with Phinigel or Coirnav. Make it 4-6 months unlock and increased rares and faction. Problem solved.
  3. Lankie Augur

Do people not see a problem with flagging, and killing a boss like 4 times per expansion to gear up 70 people? How on earth is that going to work lol.
  4. Vorkosh Journeyman

it's actually 8 times, 12 if you count open world and can race for them

plus split raids twice weekly

you'll have all the gear you could want
  5. Sethiroth Augur

Make the exp on par with selos, and 3 (4 months tops, and higher and you’re going too far in the other direction) months unlocks and problem solved
  6. Xenro Involute

Casual server? How about not allowing open world raid targets spawn until at least 1 expansion past. It removes in era batphone guilds which I’m sure most people would classify as hardcore. Everyone gets their instances without the drama of open world dps races and being on call all hours of the day.

Not sure if that idea has been thrown out before. Enjoy your Wednesday everyone!
  7. Trevalon Augur

That definitely sounds like the casual server. 8 raids 12 if you race open world with splitting raiding every single week raid day...

Yep Casual server indeed....
    Yonson and Sethiroth like this.
  8. Thalliius Augur

What a joke

Casuals are not going to play on a server with experience penalties and harsher death penalties. Those things make the game harder and take longer, which are the OPPOSITE of casual

So funny to see all these wanna be hardcores trying to take ownership of the casual server and then tell all the casuals to go play on the hardcore server lol

Selos isn’t designed to be competitive, it’s just the Try Hards that want to make it a competition.
    They probably make taking a leak at a public urinal into a competition. They’re probably the people that try to race others off the line from a red light and “win” when the other person has no idea they’re even trying to be raced

I was 100% correct in my predictions (go read my posts) that there would be a massive wave of hardcore pretenders that really wanted an easy ruleset on the casual server so they could have their little competition that virtually no one else is participating in. This is a sad, sad “hardcore” community
    Lakeland and Grogak like this.
  9. Sethiroth Augur

Bat phone open world boss racing is the absolute least of anyone’s worries regards this server
    Yonson likes this.
  10. Allizarx Journeyman

The 2 top progression server guilds will be racing from level 1 - Aten Ha Ra kill on the Ultra casual server, sounds about right.

Twice the content, three times as fast as normal. Get ready to race!
  11. an_ogre_monk00 Elder

Dis thread too long, say all it need to say. Ogre not read past first page, DBG probably not read headline, choose random thread to babble in.

Pretty sure dey not care, Deybreak games not Deyfix games.
    Iyvy, Haeldar, Lowlife and 7 others like this.
  12. Tymeless Augur

My suggestion for a casual server is pok unlocked. Vah shir unlocked but only home city and newbie zone. Start in kunark. Voting for unlocks after content is cleared. Options would be 1 month after clear, 2 months after clear, or 3 months after clear. This gives all guilds a chance to participate in era content and feel like they have some control over the pace of their server not just those that race to endgame. Everything else about selos would be perfect for a casual server.
  13. Sorein New Member

This is a main issue as well. Solo is the perfect server in DBG eyes. For those fast hard core players you will race to get all your trade skills up so you can make everything you need for Emp and Ssar crap and keep it going to be top. Even though POP flagging will suck they have a bit of time since LOY and LDON are crap so that buys them 2 months right there in POP but once you get to OOW Good Luck.. Farming out the amount of AA and Gear you need to keep up after that is stupid.. On the other hand if you are one of those people that like to play an expansion behind or in this case 3 to 7 expansions behind and play at your own pace then you should just stick in the content you want to stick to and not go and explore other stuff until you are ready to. That is the thinking of DBG on this server.

Issue is they just got it wrong. Racing to the finish line aka live server month after month you may as well just start a new guy on a live server with better xp and move up to live content slowly its the same difference. You call this a TLP so make it a TLP start from Classic and move up every 2 months at least. As far as the Hard Core server goes.. I am ok with it providing you up the exp amount per kill and drop the exp amount per death.
  14. Risiko Augur

I agree that casual gamers do not want slower experience and harsher death penalties, but I also believe that they do not want one month expansion unlocks.

I think that for the most part casual gamers will skip playing on both of the servers because "one month unlocks" and "slow experience" are both deal breakers for many of them. I can be wrong of course, but only time will tell really.
    Lakeland likes this.
  15. Vorkosh Journeyman

I think most people have already established that daybreak got their tags wrong. Selo is the racing hardcore server. They just need to fix mangler for the casual crowd with longer unlocks and not awful xp and swap the tags around
    Polekn and Trevalon like this.
  16. Trevalon Augur

This is just pure gold...
    Lakeland, Tankz, Renshu and 1 other person like this.
  17. Risiko Augur

I always love your posts ogre. You crack me up.
  18. Karowyn New Member

As per many comments here, Selo looks good for a hardcore race server, really not casual, let alone ultra casual.
    Please make us ultra casuals a nice server, the exp rate given to Selo sounds good, pair that with long unlocks, start in Classic or Classic + Kunark and let us go bimble through the content.
    If we could lose the true box (or have it removed later in the server life) and have basic mercs from day 1 that would be cool, but not the end of the world if not. Day 1 all classes would be awesome, can always race change later.
    But that's my dream world.
    If nothing else gets offered i will probably try Selo, at least it has decent exps. I wouldn't touch Mangler with a 12 ft barge pole.
  19. Kujoe Lorekeeper

The release of these servers shows one thing, the total and complete disconnect between eq management and the eq player base.

Slow(er) experience gain - I can't recall one person on these forums having ever asked or implied that they were looking for a server with slower experience.

Faster unlocks - While plenty argue over expansion duration, if the goal was a "super casual" server, who in their right mind would suggest, with a straight face, that the "super casual" player base wants faster expansion releases than what is already out in the EQ world.

Faster faction - outside of working faction for easy travel in Lguk - or - Kael/tov/sf armor (both of which are obsolete for the server upon launch), where do you need faster faction in the first, say, 10 expansions?

Faster lockouts - this could have helped the "casual" player but for the short expansion duration. With such short expansion life cycles, you will need this faster lockout timers just to keep gear relevant, so again, the casual will have to maintain an extremely high play time to gear up before the next expansion releases. But, lets also not forget, for those who mistakenly thought the "casual server" was for actual casual players, what benefit are raid targets being off lockout when you are continuously chasing levels and AA exp because of the highly accelerated expansion timeline.

Faster names - This is arguably the only "casual" add-in for the server. Realistically though, this just means more JEBS for sale for kr. Which, by itself, isn't a terrible thing for a casual, as more JEBs on the market (and other desirable group gear) should mean lower prices as supply is boosted.
  20. Geoux Lorekeeper

Ok, now that I had a few hours to sleep on it, I have a few new ideas to throw in the pot.
    Casual server: Opens with beastlords and Zerks active from Classic forward. Vah Shir still have to wait for the moon unlock though. If you really *NEED* to have a kitty BL, you can still wait, or buy the racechange pot.

Hardcore.... honestly, this is something i really don't have alot of interest in, and my previous idea of 'Diablo-style hardcore with no respawn from death, just wait for a cleric' is definitively rough... but not realistic. (Fun from a sadistic point-of-view, but not realistic). That said, here's a list of hardcore server challenges that seem interesting to me.

Disable several quality of life changes - No bandoliers, extended target windows, teleport clicky items that have a casting time under 1 sec (including campfire ports), *KILL* the NPC's in the guild lobby that summon your corpse for you. When I say 'no' to the above features, I don't mean until their expansion is released. I mean they're gone.

Also no geared-up respawns. You die, you go back to your body and loot that thing like your granddaddy taught you. Also, your corpse rots in 60 mins. Get moving!

Make faction gain standard, make faction loss x2.

No exp penalties, though. The idea is to make it more of a throwback challenge, not the Grind-Grind-Grind server!

What I'm having trouble with though, is what to offer players to make them WANT to join it. Sure, some folks enjoy using sand for lube, but not everyone. There needs to be a carrot for all this stick.

Razorback
    Phinigel
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.