Consolidate expansions for the next TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rajaah, Sep 24, 2021.

1. MustardonWatermelon Elder

3 months for PoP followed by 1 month for LDoN is too long. That's all I know.
    Xanadas likes this.
  2. Xanadas Augur

100%

I've played on every TLP since they've started - I completely agree with the OPs proposal.
  3. Triconix Augur

First go around on TLPs. The 5 months of POP and LDoN were borderline too much. POP was one of my all time favorite expansions and this is the first time redoing it in era since its original launch so I was fine with farming it for 5 months. I certainly became a raid logger by mid LDoN though.

It also made me realize that POP (and all prior expansions) seriously didn't age well by modern standards. I found overall content classic-LDoN exceptionally easy. Way easier than it ever was back in 2000-2002. I'm honestly not sure how people can enjoy doing those eras every year. It was just so unchallenging that it became boring real quickly.

What Aradune also made me realize is that a polished GoD is hands down a Mt. Rushmore all-time great expansion. Hell, I loved it when it was a buggy POS. But now? *chefs kiss* Everything about it is just better than classic-POP. And what's even more appealing is that content only gets better from here and peaks at TSS. People are seriously doing themselves a disservice by not playing through this content. It's a shame.
    Zapsos, Cheet and Captain Video like this.
  4. Cheet Elder

You complete me
  5. Risiko Augur

Here's a better idea... Combine some of the expansions coming up ON the existing TLPs.

Mischief Server:
    1. PoP/LoY/LDoN 2 months
    2. Gates of Discord / Omens of War ... 2 months
    3. DoN / DoDH / PoR ... 1 month
    4. etc...
    Fix the existing TLP servers. Forget the next TLP.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You want to combine those expansions in each of your brackets?

PoP & LoY combine already done, LDoN shortened to 8 weeks for Mangler and then shortened to 4 weeks for Mischief & Thornblade already - I don't think that requires anything further.

The devs once suggested that combine of GoD & OoW for Phinigel & it was so convincingly shot down that the devs changed their stance.

As for DoN/DoDH/PoR - don't combine anything, just shorten the windows and keep the progression imho, with all of the shortened windows I would also hope that the XP on the server would be bumped up a little, maybe halfway between where Phinigel was and where Selo was.

8 weeks after Omens unlock DoN
    4 weeks after DoN unlock DoDH
    4 weeks after DoDH unlock PoR
    4 weeks after PoR unlock TSS
  7. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I still think OoW + DoN combined and DoDH + PoR combined would work well. They're complimentary expansions and offer much more variety if combined, rather than shortening one or the other. It also allows more farm time of Vish/Yar aas well as DK for circle clicks and for crafters to bust out the PoR trophies.

Basically, combining those two groups puts it into the hands of the guilds if they want to do anything with the content, rather than putting an artificial limit on it.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I get where you're coming from as that's kind of a halfway house between shortening the windows and opting for a Level Locked TLP which puts all the content at each level in the hands of Guilds to choose what they tackle and how.
  9. malaki Augur

Merging GoD and Omens is a horrendously bad idea. GoD is probably the best pre 85 expansion on TLPs.
    Skuz, Triconix and Tweakfour17 like this.
  10. Aeonblade Very Hungry Vah Shir

The guy with the pikachu signature nailed it I think. Hopefully we'll see some new ideas tried come April/May
  11. Abrhum Journeyman

In my experience playing TLPs, the population drop comes when a new TLP is launched. People love the initial even playing ground / mass noob leveling and the previous TLP gets abandoned right after pop
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

People keep on regurgitating this nonsensical belief.

Some players leave the existing TLP to go to the new one, mostly the handful of casuals and krono farmers, and a big bunch actually don't.
    Some players will be playing on 2 or more servers even, whether their "main" server is a live one or an older TLP.

But truly "abandoned" - has never happened not even once.

All the Truebox TLP steadily lose players and that decline starts at classic even, the ones without Truebox retain players much better though.
  13. Tweakfour17 Augur

Mostly agree but I'd put an asterix on your comment about no TLP every being abandoned to maybe say *From Phinny onwards. Fippy for sure was truly abandoned and other pre-AoC TLPs maybe have been too.
  14. Machen New Member

It most certainly was not abandoned immediately after pop. The population didn't drop significantly on Fippy until late in the level 70 stretch. Prior to that it was 5-10% attrition per expansion.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  15. Tweakfour17 Augur

Ahh yup yup, missed the PoP qualifier there. Thanks for pointing it out.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Fippy died around TDS, quite a ways after PoP.