Congratulations Darkpaw Games!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Captain Video Augur

Memberships are at the publisher level, not the studio level, that's pretty much how it works throughout the industry. There is still a DBG site which confirms that all-access subs continue to work the same. Of course I believe there should be a commemorative lifetime membership sale to celebrate the new studio launches!
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Darkpaw Games - I like the cut of your jib. ;)
  3. Gremag Journeyman

Congratulations to the team.

I hope this increases your job satisfaction, your freedom to design and build and I hope it makes you excited for years to come.

Thank you for keeping Norrath spinning for all these years.

You're doing good.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  4. Silver-Crow Augur

I'm pretty sure this is covered in the terms and conditions.

What the lifetime subscriptions bought was All Access Membership to DBG titles, not EQ membership. EQ membership was included, simply by virtue of it being a DBG title

Your membership is safe for now as DBG still own Darkpaw and they've stated that nothing is going to change currently with accounts etc.

However.... If Darkpaw games is ever separated from DBG, by sale or otherwise, then you will still have All Access Membership to DBG titles, just not EQ.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I found this interesting from when they first offered the lifetime subs:

QUOTE: "If EQ is sold on, or moved to another entity such as Darkpaw Games (https://tagn.wordpress.com/2019/07/11/is-darkpaw-games-the-new-future-for-norrath/), you may find it drops out of the All Access family of games, and you are back paying a membership sub to play." This is from https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/lifetime-membership.261151/ - so while it is not official and just another posters view, it has merit.

If they no longer honor lifetime subs then I will give up. There would not be anything they could offer to make up for taking that away after paying so much. Its not like that was a few dollars lost.

Alekzandre likes this.
  6. Catashe Augur

I mean come on.. After how many years with DBGs... Depending on WHO they sell it too.. Would that REALLY be a bad thing?! =\
  7. BeastElf New Member

So does this mean that they will finally re-work the original UI so that it may be 4k compatible so it will work on larger screens??
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. Shanarias Augur

I play the game on a 32 inch screen. How large are we talking here? :D
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

A number of other folks play on large screen tv's. I play on a 28 inch at 4k and some of the text is just too small without modifying UIs. But I would be happy if /chatfontsize would persist in my chat windows AND that it would affect the typing pane of chat windows. Hard to read what I am typing before it hits the reading portion of a message window.
  10. BeastElf New Member

I play on a 50 in tv and everything is way to small
  11. Scorrpio Augur

I use a custom UI based on Drakah-krome, upsampled for 4k. Looks good. But any time they change stuff, I have to spend some time fiddling with XML...
  12. Inictus Elder

13. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I've come to the conclusion that Massively has morphed into a glorified social influencer blog that requires studios to kiss their ring. They've started to inhale their own self-importance. They've always had it out against Daybreak since EQN shut down and likely overblown "Columbus Nova-Russian shell company connection."
    Nennius and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  14. Groans Augur

Ugh Holly in charge? The one that HATES casuals? I guess i will just wait and see but shes never been a freind to the casual heck we had to fight like mad to get AOC added to tlps and that proved a very huge success and she was against it. Hope someone has changed her mind about so called "casuals".
    Aenvar likes this.
  15. Portwiz New Member

16. Reht The Dude abides...

Yeah, it used to be one of my go-to outlets for MMO gaming news but no longer. They've been heading that direction for the last year or so, but it really spun out when they added the extra writers.
  17. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

She's been in charge of EQ for like 3 years or more now.
  18. divirgmar Lorekeeper

What I hope this means:

Maybe a second half to ToV, that doesn't take a week to get to max level but instead takes a good year to get through, then back on track with one expansion a year that takes a good year to get through to get to max level. Let the efficiency experts find their way, if they make it in 7-9 months? great. The surprise half of GMM was a bit weird, imo.

Avoid being too wowish with armors and loots. Nice thing about old EQ was that stuff lasted, sure there were a few nice BiS items for certain classes, and a few nifty clickies, but no single one was a must-have. Of course raid stuff should be uber, but it should not knock group stuff out of the park completely, likewise new group stuff should not make old raid stuff obsolete.

Big dungeons if you design new dungeons, or fix old quests, or try not to cookie cutter old methods if you can help it.

Devs and employees play the game, I want to see green names again- on "off" days or non-special days, or where I have to ask "what are YOU doing in dragnors?" only to look at them suspiciously when they say "nothing, just fishing".

Understanding that a good portion of EQ is about nostalgia at this point, and if you can bring old Freeport back while keeping the devastation, please do.

Have fun designing raids and Group content please :) the final Tbl mission in arcstone is like a raid designed for a group - awesome. More of that please.
  19. Kontra Augur

Congratulations to all involved. I will think positive and hope it is a change for the better! :)
  20. Herf Augur

I won't say "I agree", but in my experience at tech companies, splits like this are to make each split-ee a profit and loss center. If they can't cut it on their own, they are cut.

Of course, EQ seems to be the one game they have that has a consistent player base. The question is, is it large enough?

And finally, it's recurring costs that hurt an established product. I would not be too surprised to see some significant consolidation of servers to reduce CoLo costs.