Congrats TEMPUS on killing Vulak'Aerr

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by EQForumAcct, Apr 22, 2016.

1. taliefer Augur

doesnt sound like he was particularly challenging with that many people. my guess is hes tuned for a raid of about 42 to 48 players or so, and they are just being zerged with overkill. pretty par for the course on progression servers due to the nature of "competitive open world raiding". you need to have an overwhelming force ready at all times to beat the other guys, not the actual mob.
  2. Kiani Augur

They probably had a big force because it's all still quite new and everyone wants to raid. You don't turn down people who come because it will make the mobs too easy. Even if that means you get called a zerg guild.
  3. bodes Augur

Vulak has an AE melee slow and now with MOTM has 2 million hp. 48 people would take 60-90 minutes to kill it.
  4. taliefer Augur

we'll see i suppose. a slow thats easily curable with multile methods shouldnt the fight that bad
  5. taliefer Augur

i didnt mean to imply they should have. i just dont think its fair to expect encounters to be tuned to 72+ man raids when thats never been the case in EQ outside of PoP. the only reasons the guilds are that large is because its pretty much a requirement if you want to compete in the open world raiding on progression servers
  6. Crackers Augur

That in itself is disappointing. Vulak should require a sizable raid, he just shouldn't require a force larger than a raid. Guess we'll see on Phinny when we get there.
  7. Machen New Member

In other words, just like in 2001. I remember spending more than an hour fighting original vulak. First fight I remember people autoattacking then going afk for extended periods.
  8. Tieyla Elder

We should be giving props to Echoes of Elysium, they really killed Vulak. ;)
  9. MabbuQuest Elder

Daaaaaaaymn lolololol
  10. EQForumAcct Augur

<shrug> You put out a raid call "hey guys, Vulak is up - lets move" - sure...Tempus or DW both could just take 72 in a main raid, set the others on the bench for DKP, and go do it. It would add but a couple of minutes, tops, to the kill time.

But, why would you when you can bring the 20 extra people who decided to login and kill a mob? Little extra healing...little extra DPS....mob dies a little faster.

Just like all raid mobs, as you get deeper and deeper into the expansion, and more and more gear, bosses die faster and faster with less and less people. Then a new expansion comes out, you have almost twice as many raiders again ("ooh, new content!") and the cycle starts over again.

Granted...the whole 200+ to kill AoW before the regen fix was insane, but I think we all agree that the fights weren't the hard part, having the DPS to outpace the regen was the hard part.
  11. EQForumAcct Augur

I don't think it's fair that characters should be able to get loot at 7x (or more) the pace that they did back in the day.

But, since they do, the difficulty of the mobs MUST be increased somehow....thus, more people/longer fights.