Confused!

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Leloes, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Leloes Lorekeeper

I create a character but it won't let me enter the world. Why?
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

My best guess is you haven't picked a name at the middle-bottom of the screen. Without more details, however, guessing is the best that can be done.
  3. Leloes Lorekeeper

I put a name in. I'm not sure why it won't go beyond create character screen......what other details do you need?
  4. Qbert Gallifreyan

I mean, you could detail the steps you are taking and where you are getting hung up.

Since everything defaults to making a selection, the name is really the only place likely to cause a hang-up. Are you getting an error message when you press "Enter World" or is it freezing, closing your screen, etc? Perhaps you have chosen a name that doesn't meet the criteria (too short, for example).
  5. Leloes Lorekeeper

No error message. It simply won't do anything after I pick high elf, wizard, name, deity, etc.....won't even leave the area where character is being created.
  6. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

Are you a free to play member? This could be your problem - https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Free_to_play

Edit to add: I just read the rest of that web site I linked. It appears that FTP members have access to all classes/races. Nevermind then.
  7. Leloes Lorekeeper

Nope....not f2p.....
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

do you click "enter world"?
  9. Annastasya Augur

Just a note- you cannot pick any name you want. If it is a name already used on that server, a not-allowed name (there is some internal list, mostly real life or popular fiction names), too few characters etc. you may be missing the error message about how the name is not available.

Another thing, you may have leftover ability points unassigned, make sure you assign those if you are in the advanced options for character creation.

If you just recently downloaded the game or updated, you may need to restart the game and be sure to use the launcher and get all the latest updates.
  10. Leloes Lorekeeper

Can't...won't leave where character is created.....

Understand all that but it still won't enter game.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Ok the "enter world" is a button on the same screen you create your character on. You move the mouse to it and click it.

Are you saying you have no mouse capability after you create the character?
  12. Leloes Lorekeeper

Correct.....it just stays on create character and goes no where else. I'm going to give it another try and see what happens.
  13. Annastasya Augur

Make sure the task bar on your Operating System is not covering part of the EQ screen. press ALT + Enter to toggle from windowed to full screen mode. Depending on your settings, the mouse cursor might be outside the game when you are trying to click. General tip- run Everquest as administrator, and mark it as a priority program over whatever else you've got going on in the background.
  14. Annastasya Augur

Do you have any other characters? There is a character limit per server, depending on your level of subscription and how many empty character slots you have. The game won't allow you to create a new character if you have no empty slots. In that case delete a character ( THIS IS PERMANENT) or try a different server or different account.
  15. Leloes Lorekeeper

I'll give it a try as admin. Maybe it'll work then.
  16. Leloes Lorekeeper

Nope....first character...
  17. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

18. xxGriff Augur

I did not see that you have confirmed a name for your char. are you in fact naming or randomly generating a name. all point must be spent, and a name assigned or chosen to complete char before you can enter Norrath or Gloomingdeep.
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

20. Annastasya Augur

i've made an awful lot of characters over the years and other than the name choices or a few other problems mentioned in this thread, it has always been, possibly, the most user friendly aspect of this entire game.

Once you get in game, it gets way, way more complex, between the User Interface and all its insanity, to the enormous world of aimless, endless content, to all the mountains of information much of which is not available in-game, i can't imagine you'll have a good time if you can't get past the character creation process.

One last thing i thought of, is your Java updated and enabled? i want to say a little movie plays the first time you enter The Mines of Gloomingdeep - which is the tutorial and default place you start in the game (most of the time). If you have video blockers, or security features on your computer that will isolate and disable such things, it might be hanging up the game.

Historically, i've had to manually allow my virus protection and firewall to allow Everquest to do whatever it wants, because often times patches and other features of the game will trigger red flags and security measures. Why? i've no idea but the core game was built in the late 90's and the base code is archaic compared to modern computer games. Let's just say it can be quirky.

If none of this stuff has helped you, you might have a more technical issue that random forum readers won't be able to fix. The character creation process "should" be fairly straightforward and easy, and it was the last time i made a character, which was less than a month ago.