Confused over TLP complaints

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Cicelee, May 2, 2019.

1. Cicelee Augur

I do not play on TLP. So forgive me if the following question is not a good one...

I read a lot of complaint threads on these boards about certain individuals cornering the market on specific items, kronos or platinum. And what confuses me is that there does not have to be issues if people do one simple thing-

Do not buy from these players.

Do not buy or sell krono. Do not buy items like FBSS or GEB. If you do not create a market, then those who have 50 FBSS that no one is buying will either lower prices to a more acceptable level, or just get out of the camp so that you can fight there.

But the players who continually feel the "need" to have to have a FBSS (as an example) are the ones who create a market and allow these players to use 20 magicians or whatever. There is not a single item that is so critical and necessary for your character in EQ, especially on a server that expands every month or three.

Am I wrong in saying, do not buy from these 20 magician players and then they will eventually go away?
    snailish likes this.
  2. Xanathol Augur

That is good advice in theory but in reality, the farmers don't go away - they continue to occupy the camps to prevent anyone else from getting it.

Case in point are the no drop items off the named fire giants in Sol B. Back on Agnarr, you had to race the farmers to get to them (and many were willing to train, dispell, etc - including warp - to 'beat' you). Once that farmer killed the named, they'd try to sell 'loot rights' and if no one bought, they'd delete the item, over and over again, figuring the only chance many had to get it was to go through them.

I'm not saying it was impossible to beat them as I personally did but it was a pita. That is how far these farmers are willing to go - they will grief the entire server for the duration of the expansion if they can, knowing nothing will be done about it.
    snailish likes this.
  3. Ceffener Augur

Most FBSS are being farmed by a single level 50....no one needs 20 mages to handle that camp.
    snailish likes this.
  4. Cicelee Augur

Out of the point I was trying to make (do not create a market) that is what you want to focus on? A poor example, but an example nevertheless?
  5. Christopher84 Journeyman

In case you were not aware, gear progression is a big part of MMORPGs. OK sure tell people not to buy GEBs, then when Kunark comes out be sure to tell them not to buy fungus covered scale tunics too while you're at it. Good luck with that.
    snailish likes this.
  6. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Live player here who dabbles in TLP.

You’re seriously underestimating the amount of sheetlording that goes on on these servers. Many BiS gear being open world/tradeable makes for an extremely toxic environment and encourages some of the worst behavior including training, harassment, camp lockdowns, botting and a ton of profiteering and monopolizing.

I avoid farmers when I can but it’s not difficult for them to make new toons to act as CL mules, not to mention just because I might buy a pair of GEBs from a non farmer, doesn’t mean that they didn’t get theirs from one.

There are some camps that are pretty bafflingly bad/stupid, too. One person can easily hold it down. Take the Hooded Black Cloak in Mistmoore. It’s maybe not bis but very nice for classic, on Mangler selling for 2-3 krono I think. But the camp is both incredibly easy for most lvl 50 toons, contested, and in a train adjacent zone. 20 minutes there and I noped out pretty fast fighting multiple wizards and what looked like a necro 6 box automation crew. And that’s absolutely par for the course.

On these servers the whole “I want to go camp x or y for my toon” often turns into “I want to find a plat camp that doesn’t utterly suck so I can buy what I need”. Without a PNP or any kind of actual rule enforcement, nothing will change.
    snailish likes this.
  7. Ceffener Augur

I actually agree with your logic. My point is contrary to what the forums lead everyone to believe, most camps are not being held down by some massive bot army of 20 mages or 40 necro. A large portion of the money camps can be farmed by a single player, yet if 1 mage is at Frenzy people will say “oh look a bot army is there”. Guy saw a necro at Frenzy for a couple hours and made a whole Reddit post about “why is everyone doing RMT”, because people think it’s impossible for players to just be farming content like they normally would. Everyone has to be a box/bot/army/evil.

Hill giants/Ice giants are an actually problem.
    Apparently GEBs but personally I haven’t been to that camp to verify it.
    AC you have some a holes, but plenty of people get their rings without buying them.

Everything else is blown way out of proportion.
    snailish likes this.
  8. Protagonist Tank

Don't confuse Everquest the game with Everquest the forums.
    Nolrog, snailish, Boze and 1 other person like this.
  9. andross77 Elder

The people that come on the forums and whine and complain might be 5% of the population that plays on these TLPs. That leaves 95% of people that are doing the krono farming and others that are happy to pay krono for things they don't want to spend time farming.

The people that complain are people that just take this game too seriously and do not have the resources or time or ability to 6 or 12 or 24 box these camps. So they're basically stuck in this boot loop of teenage frustration. It's like an extra circle of hell that Dante forgot to write about.
    snailish and Protagonist like this.
  10. snailish Augur

Good thread with a lot of insightful posts.

The forum complaints don't fully hold up to scrutiny because the obvious answers have been offered and are not rallied behind:

-make the choice pre-PoP loot no drop [yes loot rights are sellable, not as convenient though]
    -make tradeskill made gear attuneable [moves much of the economy to mat farming]
    -put items like FBSS also in their zone as small % zone wide drops
    -put items like FBSS into parallel content (i.e., Lower Guk isn't the only 40+ zone in classic and wasn't supposed to be the hub of all gameplay. Go further and make similar new drops for Kedge, Permafrost, etc.)
    -DPS race is allowed/encouraged --solve the problem yourself with your friends
    -you don't actually need a FBSS
    -era-set the plat drop from giants so they aren't so appealing [If plague rat tails had to be adjusted...]

Why aren't they rallied behind? Because a fair slice of the forum complaints should just be read as "I'm upset that someone else is better at monopolizing and profiting from this content than I am". They don't want it fixed --they want it for themselves.
  11. Ceffener Augur

And the people that just farm items themselves. Because that is still an option.
  12. LittleBrumski Augur

I don't farm items specifically to convert to krono, or plat to krono. I will buy a krono if I have enough surplus plat. Most of the time I never bother reselling them because I get most of my gear on my own anyway. Does that make players like myself the 5% or the 95%
  13. code-zero Augur

That means that you are using Krono in the way that they were intended which is like almost everyone else in the game uses them
  14. yerm Augur

Farmers only exist because they can earn real money from what they do. If literally nobody bought krono on a server, they would start rmting and drops directly just like was done in the past (eg fippy). If nobody on the server then ever bought plat or items from the 3rd party sites, they would go out of business.

People do not like to hear it but the farmers ONLY exist because people are willing to trade krono to them for whatever they are farming and/or will buy cheap kronos of 3rd party sites to use for subscriptions.

Rmters always always always follow the money.
    discordkitty and Christopher84 like this.
  15. Purelogic Lorekeeper

Then you have people like this ^^^ that try to make up numbers and dis or troll peoples complaint post when they have legit points and are more then likely farmers/powerlevelers themselves
  16. Christopher84 Journeyman

This is a half truth. While there will always be players who prefer to RMT for their gear, there would be far fewer ppl RMTing and supplying botters with krono if it wasn't for the fact that certain items get locked down by said RMTers.

There will always be demand but botters manipulate the demand by controlling the supply.
  17. code-zero Augur

Certain items got locked down by guilds in the past.

Certain items got locked down by wizard murder squads running on 6 Pentium computers controlled using KVM switches.

Certain items are locked down by Chinese farmers who took the job.

You're given a viable option in DPS racing these people if you'll just do it, they aren't that good
  18. discordkitty Augur

Make all non-raid corpses 7 minutes like it used to be. Between no drop and that, it would get rid of a lot of them. Or heirloom even, so you could pass it to an alt on your account but not RMT.
    snailish likes this.
  19. Kittany Augur

This is JUST my personal opinion. But I do think that if the krono became no-trade after the first initial trade, it would greatly reduce it being used as as a stand alone currency.

The logic that I see is that this could potentially increase krono sales and remove the third party resale value of it.
  20. code-zero Augur

Krono were intended from the outset to be a stand alone currency that would allow people to trade stuff obtained in game for play time though. Though I don't see the point of your play time consisting of sitting in a camp mindlessly sending in pets so you can get the playtime to continue to sit in camps mindlessly sending in pets I suppose that's as valid as grinding in any other camp