companion's blessing

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by fransisco, Jun 20, 2017.

1. fransisco Augur

I remember a few months ago a dev commented that he was unaware that this had been broken for years because of the tiny damage threshold to blow through each level of it.

Was a change ever made to it so that it is a usable ability?
  2. Brohg Augur

Top rank absorbs 40k damage when used as a tanking ability. When used as a HoT for a non-tanking pet, it heals 176k damage. What you use it for determines its usability.
  3. fransisco Augur

Where are you getting this spell data?
    I looked at raidloot and for rank 27:

Companion's Blessing XXIV (Dena):
    Target: Self
    Duration: 18s (3 ticks)
    5: Increase Current HP by 13000 per tick
    6: Absorb Melee Damage: 25%, Total: 10000
  4. Brohg Augur

Clicking the AA casts Companion's Blessing XXIV (Azia), which progresses through Beza and Caza to Dena. Add them up, et voilà
  5. fransisco Augur

That doesn't give the full amount of healing though.
    As soon as it absorbs 10k damage (so probably 4 hits) the healing ends and moves to the next level. And since pet avoidance is pretty bad, each level gets eaten through REALLY fast.

Which means the entire effect can end in as little as 4 rounds, delivering only 1-2 healing ticks total.

In order for this to function the way it used to back in sof, the total amount absorbable needs to increase dramatically.
    The amount absorbed has only increased by 5x since SoF (lvl 80). But the amount of mob damage has increased by closer to 20x since then.
  6. Nylrem Augur

Brohg, it's definitely broke, been broke forever... Once the rune part gets used up (which is so tiny, it's ridiculous), it poofs. It NEVER delivers it's full healing, because the only time we use it is when pet is taking damage (duh)... if pet is taking damage, rune part gets used up VERY quickly, and the effect poofs.

It's broke, and badly.
  7. Brohg Augur

Choosing to use it for the 40k rune instead of for the 176k healing doesn't make it broken. If you click your Distillate of Celestial Healing XVIII while taking hits from …Garssilor, Cinderscale - it's not the potion being broken that makes you die.

Companion's Blessing doesn't get used up early based on all damage, just on melee damage. It'll go full duration versus AE effects. That you don't USE it in the situations when it would deliver its full healing is not the AA's problem.

That it's usable at all while tanking, for that quick rune benefit, is just a side thing it can do, a little bonus capability. Not a bad side thing, half a Shieldstone Stance you can click between spells without giving up a spell gem. If that's what you need it for - there you go. Congrats on that, bet you've gotten way more use out of it than the pet invuln or half a dozen other obscure AA.
  8. fransisco Augur

I think I see the difference opinion here.

The way you describe it Brohg, it is a decent healing AA for a raid.
    But for people who don't raid, its near worthless, as the pet will be tanking, so virtually no healing will occur.
  9. Nylrem Augur

Actually Fransisco, it doesn't even work for raiding worth a crap. It still drops early like 90% + of the time. I'm not sure why, whether it's from rampage, riposte, or whatever melee damage, or whether AE damage does kill it, I'm not sure. But, it still doesn't heal worth a darn even when raiding.

When it was created, it was useful even when pet WAS taking damage. The rune part has not been updated properly with current mob output damage, plain and simple.

We don't HAVE a CHOICE to use it for the rune OR heal. I'd guess most of the pet classes, with it the way it is, would rather it just drop the rune, and heal only. The way it works now, is that both ARE applied, and if the rune is consumed, then it stops healing. Which is just dumb.

It's broke. It doesn't heal as it should, in any REAL environment.

Pet invuln was broke, and everyone knew it. Is it absolutely useless now, pretty much, but it shouldn't have been able to be used to pet tank raid mobs for long periods of time, that was stupid. Would love to see it somehow fixed, but I don't see an easy remedy for that. IMO, maybe just change it to a one time use big rune ... could actually just have it as an exact replica of the chanter's biggest rune.

As far as other obscure and useless AA, every class has them, and it's my guess the development team knows they're junk. However, I'd guess the development team believes Companion's Blessing is a very useful AA, when it's garbage and it'd be a very simple fix, probably less than 3 minutes from someone that can change the numbers in the spell data. Just change the rune numbers to something reasonable.

Personally, I'd go with something like 5 million HP, that way they wouldn't have to mess with it again for a few years, hopefully :)
    fransisco likes this.
  10. fransisco Augur

That would make it useful!
    Thanks for the support Nylrem
  11. Brohg Augur

The logic is... your character has a cheap button for a niche ability down on the fourth hotbar or whatever, so in your opinion developers should definitely change an ability they very much don't think about whatsoever to gain "a few years" worth of fabulous tanking power, surpassing by 25 times the power of the actual pet tanking AA Fortify Companion.
  12. Cicelee Augur

Get rid of the rune, just make it a heal over time. 10k the first two tics, 20k the next two tics, 30k the next two tics, 40k the final two tics. Or whatever the numbers are right now...
    fransisco and Brohg like this.
  13. fransisco Augur

Wrong.
    The logic is - the ability should work like it did when it came out. Instead, it has faded to be worthless due to lack of upgrades.
    Although I'm quite certain all people who regularily main a pet class would be happy with it simply being a HoT like Cicelee mentions, and ditching the rune part entirely.
  14. Nightmares Augur

They need to just make it 2 short duration buffs. 1 rune and 1 healing. same amount for each that is currently on the aa now for each level. would work great. the pet would get rune protection that ramps up on it's own and the healing would ramp up at it's set duration. would get both parts, no need to adjust the amounts of each, doesn't OP the ability, and they can add to and adjust as they need to scale as more expansions come out. It's not supposed to be a total defense ability, it's supposed to be a breather so healers can catch up a moment and get the healing timing back on track. That's it.
  15. Piemastaj Augur

Except when the developer who designed it, said it was broken. I believe he said so during an AA IIRC chat, if not I may have PMs about it from the old forums.

Elidroth fully knew it was broken years ago when Mob DPS surpassed the initial rune, he just never got around to fixing it. The intent is for it to progress and eventually hit the final rank while in combat.
    fransisco likes this.
  16. DamnataAnimus Elder

Just a question, but if an enchanter uses a rune on the pet, which gets eaten first?

Or would it be replaced by the chanters rune?

Mostly wondering as I group with a enchanter when I play.... well technically I'm grouping with myself but yes...
  17. EnchFWO Augur

"100 %" runes like straight up Enchanter runes will be eaten before mitigation % "runes". Technically most people wouldn't consider it a true rune since it's a % of incoming damage with a max cap - it's more like Enchanter Veil of Mindshadow or our spell shields.
    DamnataAnimus likes this.
  18. Godwin Journeyman

Sounds very similar to another nerf that just hit.
  19. fransisco Augur

hardly.
    Companions blessing was a function ability upon release. That berzerker disc was a horribly OP broken disc from the get go