Community Letter: A Note from Jennifer Chan

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Mar 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreamweaver Community Manager

Greetings Norrath, and well met.

Before we take steps into the Plane of Knowledge for my first community letter, I have to say it is with great honor and gratitude to have been appointed the next steward of EverQuest and EverQuest II. I follow a line of legends before me, and I intend to lead by example and carry on the torch to the best of my ability.

I look forward to us getting to know each other more. Prior to stepping into my role as current Head of Studio at Darkpaw Games, I have been the Technical Director the last 6 years for EverQuest and EverQuest II and, before that, I was a programmer for the franchise between 2008 and 2013.

I want to reassure you that the change of guard does not mean a change of plans in EverQuest. We are moving full steam ahead on our road map for the year with lots of new content in store.

We know that many of you have been looking at Overseer and sharing information about your experiences on the Test Server. Overseer will be releasing with our patch today, and we can’t wait for you to get your hands on it and help maintain the balance between the forces of Order and Discord. This major new feature is incredibly exciting for us as we continue to look forward to the future of Norrath.

As part of our 21st Anniversary celebrations we’ve added a new mount and other fun items to the jubilant merchant, unlocked Veteran Reward AAs for All Characters, granted all All Access members a Heroic Character unlock, and launched two player-designed missions as anniversary quests!

Now, there are a few more things that we will be discussing soon, like more information about the upcoming Time-Locked Progression Servers, server merges, and a few additional surprises, including a hint about our plans for a fan gathering in 2020.

All in all, I am very excited for this year and the things we have planned, and what we have in store for the franchise as a whole. Thank you for embarking with us on this new chapter in the grand epic that is EverQuest.

Yours Truly,

Jennifer “JChan” Chan

[IMG]
    Redeemed, Black, Mediik and 37 others like this.
  2. AB_H'Sishi Augur

Welcome in your new (not so different than the one before) job.
    Kluien likes this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Lovely informative post. Thanks for the reassurance, looking forward to everything you have in store for us this year.
    PCSS likes this.
  4. demoria7 Elder

How does a play submit a quest?
  5. dreamweaver Community Manager

It was something from Fan Faires a while ago.
    CrazyLarth likes this.
  6. Cassedy New Member

Wishing you success in this position!
    PCSS likes this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Any bonuses running for the anniversary?
  8. strongbus Augur

woundering what it ment by server mergers is it all servers or just some?
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I am glad that we have a veteran EQ dev at the helm. We look forward to your leadership. Cheers!
    PCSS likes this.
  10. Grooze New Member

Reality check - There needs to be a better way to integrate new and returning players into the game for it to grow. Splashing "heroes journey" on the screen while its loading doesnt do any good. It needs to be integrated into the daily experience so players can be productive instead of LFG forever and getting nowhere. I see happy talk about server mergers, but that's just saying the player base continues to bleed out. There are the haves - the 110-115 level players, and then the struggling new and returning players who can't hardly get groups to level up, so they resort to boxing. Now you are taking away the limited effects of boxing with merc support. Bravo.
    PCSS likes this.
  11. Metanis Bad Company

Jennifer I fervently wish you the maximum level of EXP and LOOT in your new quest!
    PCSS, IblisTheMage and dreamweaver like this.
  12. Bamuumo New Member

Please...for the love of God... alphabetize the Zone Guide correctly. Never use "The" as the key word when you alphabetize!

Also, grats on the job!
    PCSS and Nennius like this.
  13. Immortalus Lorekeeper

I need that giant EQ map behind you ! :)
    PCSS, Peter_The_great and dreamweaver like this.
  14. Sissruukk Rogue One

Come by and visit us on Vox sometime :)
  15. Froglok Augur

Use the search box instead... you only have to type part of the name of the zone to find it.
    PCSS, code-zero and Trong like this.
  16. Abbydog Journeyman

Congratulations on your new post!

Allow me to take this opportunity to bring up a matter that I think deserves your attention. Holly spoke many times about the business model of attracting old players to return to the game. A huge incentive to return for me personally was logging on to find that I was still a member of what was back in the day a top end raiding guild. Looking back at a roster of over 400 members from across 20 years held quite a bit of meaning to me. That brings us to the matter at hand. The guild leader had long since disappeared. No one knows how to contact him. I keep hearing others say the solution is to just disband the guild and remake it with the same name. I hope you see how completely unsuitable this solution is when paired with the nostalgia that is driving players to return. So I beg you, please, come up with some kind of mechanism for replacing guild leaders who have not logged into the game for a significant period of time.

Thanks.
    Coagagin and Rabidchipmunk like this.
  17. smash Augur

Maybe you can/will answer the question about where is AB now placed, still Europe or now a USA server ?
    Question was asked, but not responded upon.
  18. Atheena New Member

Heres to hoping for some xp bonus with the 21st...It seems to have been...a while since any xp bonuses have been going on =). Best of luck in your new role!
  19. Numiko Augur

Good Luck Jen!
    Excited to see what you can do with EQ (and EQ2) now that you have free reign.
  20. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Good luck.

A suggestion - whoever has been the group of people you have been using for ideas or to bounce ideas off of for Everquest … be rotated out. Ice graphics and Overseer systems would not be on a majority of your player base's most needed things … and yet you seem so excited for them.

Can I suggest the second thing on the agenda be an online class where people learn how to not quote the entire first post in a new message?

Also, bonus xp has been given from March 16th to the 31st for the last umpteen years. Past performance does not indicate future returns however.
    Aidan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.