command to make sure text goes to log immediately?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by svann, Dec 14, 2018.

1. svann Augur

I was told a long time ago about a command that will cause the logging process to happen immediately instead of only every X seconds. Google cant seem to find it. Anyone remember?
  2. Anastasis Elder

Use the command /loginterval 0
    svann and Reht like this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

This causes massive stuttering for me, which makes senwe to cause it should cause a disk write for every line that would be logged. Some say it doesnt cause any issues, but i dont know how it couldnt.
  4. Nniki Augur

5. Beimeith Lord of the Game

It causes problems on ssds because of how they work differently than hdds.

If you're using an ssd you want to use loginterval1
  6. Anastasis Elder

Could you explain a bit more about it? I do use ssd, and would like to know why the 0 sec and 1 sec have a difference. Thank you.
  7. Nniki Augur

I run EQ from an SSD and /loginterval 0 works fine here.
    Brohg likes this.
  8. Gundolin Augur

I have no knowledge of SSD, but /loginterval 0 works perfectly fine on my current pc. However, with my old computer when I tried using 0 the lag in raid instances was very bad. By increasing my delay to /loginterval 1 I still had time for most Gina Triggers and the lag was reduced.

In retrospect, it is possible I could have accomplished the same speed improvement using 0 through greater use of my filters, but at the time I was a bit unfamiliar with how to adjust filter settings.
  9. Brohg Augur

The usual culprit when /logint 0 induces lag isn't the drive, it's the virus/malware scanner. In Defender/Norton/MacAfee/Kaspersky/whatever, set an exception so that it ignores the EQ/logs directory - problem solved.
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  10. Syylke_EMarr Augur

What Brohg said. I had crazy stuttering until I created an exception for the EQ folder
  11. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Excellent... Switching mine to 0! I had always heard that 1 is the preferred setting for ssds.

I have not run active antivirus since 2006, (come at me bro) I look forward to getting annoyed about my Gina triggers 1 second faster than I was previously!
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Long version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification

Short version:

With a SSD when you edit a file and resave it, it doesn't save to the same position on the SSD, it saves to a new location. It does this each time you edit and resave a file. When you use loginterval 0 EQ opens, edits, and resaves the log file for every single line. On a raid with everything going on this can be hundreds or even thousands of times per second.

This can cause a significant performance degradation and it isn't too good for the health of the ssd either, though I'm not really sure if it is enough to actually matter that much.

Using loginterval 1 means EQ only opens, edits, and resaves the log once every second. It's far less of a performance hit, but at the cost of losing up to a second when reading the log via a parsing program like gina/gamparse.
    Metanis likes this.