Come over to Zek

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by sintikx, Apr 27, 2018.

1. zulla2 New Member

"lots of hacking on zek" = I don't understand what happened to me. About 90% of the hackusations are simply that; accusations, because the player doesn't try to understand the subtleties of what just happened. It's easier to release responsibility by saying that you were the victim of hacking, when most often you're the victim of your own ineptitude.

Everybody has the same 1-rounding tools available to them; it's up to you to figure out how to mitigate the damage, of which there are several.
    Kierrah and sintikx like this.
  2. Tweak Journeyman

There's not much you can do about hackusations sadly. Some people are just trolls and will call hacks at anything they are unable to compete with or understand. You can live broadcast or post vids..doesn't matter. If you do good you are guaranteed to be called a hacker by some of the people. Its just something you put up with.

I'm not saying there are no hackers on Zek..just like blue and any other game you are always going to find the occasional cheat showing their true colors but Zulla is right its not the norm.
  3. EnchFWO Augur

Trust me... C is on BB like me... there is more fun here then you could ever spin about your dead server. I admire the hostile recruitment strategy to your 'extra fun' server vs. live but please... there's a reason why your server is dead and why the devs stated there are no plans to do a PvP TLP [ever]. That last part should speak for itself since that is their goldmine.

So please... just stop - you look ridiculous enough.
  4. sintikx New Member

Ive played blue before and Zek is far more fun then blue will ever be
  5. zulla2 New Member

"there is more fun here then you could ever spin about your dead server."
    - Subjective.

"there's a reason why your server is dead"
    - ...from people who only spread negativity? O.O

"So please... just stop - you look ridiculous enough."
    - Resorts to ad hominem argument.
    Thank you for your contribution to the conversation.
    Kierrah likes this.
  6. Cicelee Augur

Then have fun on your server with your "bunch" of fellow players!

Thing is, players on "blue" servers tend to fall into one of several categories-

1. Anti PVP, these will never go to Zek
    2. Players who have been playing a very long time with years invested in their toon and they do not want to start over, they will not go to Zek
    3. Players who are still progressing and accomplishing things that do not have the time to devote to another character, they will not go to Zek
    4. Players with such sporadic time that they are very casual and simply do not have the time to start over, they will not go to Zek

So maybe this recruitment thread may double your server population from 14 real people to 28 real people. Most likely it will not, you will see a handful of new players at most begin anew on the server. Until they realize just how barren and empty it is, and go to a blue server in a week or two.

Sorry.
  7. Kierrah New Member

You don't like it.. why are you reading this. :cool: Stop being such a hater C! We would all like to have fun on this game, I will likely quit if zek server doesn't start to gain more players. Will you miss me? Only if you knew me. Should you care? Yes, I am usually the best thing that ever happened to anyone :rolleyes: I will find another game that offers the blood spilling player vs player.. you who deny zek attention will in time lose the whole game because everyone will have become bored. Sorry if I come off as "hostile" I am just being assertive ;) I want pvps!
    sintikx likes this.
  8. zulla2 New Member

Finally a legitimate argument with clearly defined points. Thank you.

At the same time though, we don't know who will see the thread and even if only a handful of people come, and only one stays...it'll be considered a success.
    sintikx likes this.
  9. Kierrah New Member

Anyone wanting to give it a try see me on I will try and help you out. :p
  10. Imak Augur

5. Players who spent years on Zek and eventually abandoned it upon realizing development totally did so a long time ago.
    Genoane and LorthorSZ like this.
  11. Bigfan Augur

No.
    PvP community is toxic, and this server should be shutdown.
    Everquest is not balanced for PvP, in no way shape or form.
  12. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Pretty much everyone on Zek loads a certain 3P program. I'm not bitter. I played on the PvP servers from launch until 2016, and never played on blue (I couldn't imagine it). But I do know how the use of helpful software evolved on Zek. It's still there now, I guarantee it. And it's not comparable to cheating on blue servers. There's a huge difference between having to deal with cheaters in PvE and having to deal with them in PvP.

Just to warn the 0.25 people who might actually take this thread seriously: The people propping it up/posting repeatedly are not the kind of players you would actually want to spend much time with, for a wide variety of reasons.

You can definitely play on Zek and enjoy the exp bonus and mostly avoid PvP. It's not hard. However, the exp bonus is not a huge reward for going to a server where the only way to be a social player is to get involved in the last dying gasp of a broken part of the game.

Earlier in the thread Elite said the class balance is a little better now. Well, I'd be interested to hear more about that, as Elite/Fanikben is one of maybe 3 players still on the server who have any old school rep/credibility.
  13. Dewey Augur

Sadly I think the only way to save zek would be to do this.

Create a /zek copy. Allow all toons to copy to zek like they copy to the test server.

Also allow all current zek populations to move their toon off of zek and copy back.

I would never move my main character back to zek. However; I would consider /copying a character over to zek. I also do not expect dev's to ever make a /zekcopy. I just think it would be the only thing that would save zek without new memberships somehow.
  14. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Putting Zek inside the cheat firewall that protects the truebox TLPs would go a very long way toward making it a genuinely playable server. It's a terrible insult to paying subscribers on Zek that third-party programs have been so effectively reined in on those servers, but the people who suffer most from cheating (i.e. the only ones who can literally be attacked by cheaters) didn't get that relief.

DPS also needs tuning in PvP, the same way resists once did.

Cut down on the hacking, tune DPS for PvP, 90 percent of the problems with present day EQ PvP are fixed.

The latter is unlikely to ever happen. The former already should have.
    Rarecandy and LorthorSZ like this.
  15. Zhaunil_AB Augur

That is true for any PvP-enabled game.
    The player-base makes or breaks it for themselves.

:)
    Even though you obviously just meant this in a demeaning way, i want to inform you that a) i am not a kitty and b) there is a difference between "can't" and "won't".

Yes i might just not be "that type" of player.
    While i CAN enjoy the breaking of a gate bubble and similar, i simply want to do with my time as i please and when i please. I am not in need of an extra, unpaid job. Nor do i feel the drive to turn my relaxation-time into work-time.
    And PvP *is* work to me, it has always turned out to be, no matter what the game's name was. I've had times where i HAD to sit at the comp for hours, despite wanting to log off simply because i was "hunted" by some idiot that insisted on trying to make me his prey - on "his terms", of course, as all cowards do.
    I also refuse to "be owned" by players simply because they're 6 to 9hrs behind me and while it's bedtime for me, it's just afternoon (not even prime time) for them.

The real issue with PVP, despite the "nature" of it's players (all yay when they gank and all whiny when they're on the short end of the stick), is that it doesn't take into account so many RL aspects factoring in, nor is there usually a mechanic in place to actually factor "effort" into it.

I refuse to let someone else press his idea of "fun" and his schedule onto me, so i avoid the scenario.
    That isn't as much a "hello kitty" thing as it is the conscious choice of someone who's been there, done that - and wizened up some since.
    Gialana and MoveFastRZ like this.
  16. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Yes, it has always been a bit baffling to me that people who claim they want a rich PvE MMO that includes open world PvP wind up treating that open world like a Quake arena. If what you really want is to match wits with other players in this kind of game, there are lots of options out there that are designed and tuned specifically for PvP. If you want something more nuanced, which EQ PvP provided pretty nicely back in the day, then perhaps adopt a more nuanced playstyle than all-gank-all-the-time.

The heyday of EQ PvP was an era of complex inter-guild politics. Not one where everyone went after every PvP target they could find.
    Rarecandy likes this.
  17. Paradisic_parasite Elder

I don't want to play on Zek but a new tlp pvp server would be awesome. Seriously.
  18. Genoane Journeyman

This. And there is NO WAY BACK
    MoveFastRZ likes this.
  19. Elite Lorekeeper

To anyone who enjoys PvP of any sort, those bullet points would be appealing. On the other hand, to someone who needs a game at a little bit slower pace to enjoy gaming, I could see how a few of those would turn you away...This thread was to appeal to a different level of gamer. Someone who might be burnt out on just killing predictable pixels day in and day out. But I am glad you chimed in, maybe you will discourage a few more people or ideas today.
    Rarecandy and MoveFastRZ like this.
  20. Elite Lorekeeper

Best post I have seen. Sad but true. Yes the pvp is still unbalanced but as was stated previously alot of pvp is about avoidance and learning to use what your class has available to mitigate. Most every class now has the ability to kill. They ramped up druid dots as well as shammy dots. Pally's have a pvp burn as do monks. Warriors are a huge threat. Clerics may be the only class well behind in PvP but even a cleric sporting a raid summoned dagger can mess up a caster with 100 percent reflect. Yes EQ pvp is broken. When has it not been broken? Anything before Ice Comet? My class (necro) has had its ups and downs. I went all the way to my late 70's casting pre 60 dots to get a kill before corruption came out. I enjoy a challenge. I tried blue for 6 days and I felt like I could have as much fun by cutting my internet cable and playing a console game. This thread is for those people who are bored with the regular game and want to try something new.
    Rarecandy likes this.