Collection Quest Ground Spawns

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by gcubed, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Augur Developer

There were some spawn points up there in my first internal version, but without a way to limit the number of spawns that would eventually end up there as people picked up the ones below, it was too disruptive to normal collecting. If we get a system that allows us to cap how many could spawn up there, I'd love to add them back in.
  2. artofnoise Augur

Might be fun to have some "tough" collection series that utilize separate sets placed in really tricky spots throughout the expansion?

Also, very pleased with the new look for the collectable spawns. Extra particles were not needed IMHO. Am I correct to assume these little glowballs take minimal system resources? (Since they are static, don't need to be "facing" any direction, etc.)

As I hinted above, lots of possibilities. I can see future collectables that look like small rocks or objects you might disregard to add challenge (ie. blending in) for some collection sets or even quests requiring you locate a set of items.
  3. Greymantle Augur

Found an inaccessable spawn in the valley of king Xorbb , closest loc to see it 520.58 1238.54 -5.60 . Tucked in a small triagular ledge along the zone wall, just out of reach. Multiple spawns there on the Rathe at this time.
  4. artofnoise Augur

5. Augur Developer

These are some really fun ideas. I personally really like the idea of a "tough" collection that require focused effort to collect. I'm not sure we want players to feel forced to do it, though, so if we did end up making it, I'd want to detach it from any large meta-achievement with rewards players feel like they "need" to get. I'd want the reward for the set to be something that helps collection hunters specifically.

I'm glad to hear you're liking the new collection visual! We agree that it's a big improvement over the other one as well. I'm not actually sure about the system impact (these ground spawns in general don't have high impact on the server). The biggest gain of the change, I think, is the increase in clickable surface area. Before, it was possible that you could see the particle effect but not be able to click the tiny sphere in the middle of it to collect the item—even at best it was annoying. This new visual can be clicked anywhere to collect it, making the challenge finding and getting to the item, not trying to click it.

Having collections with unique appearances that fit with the environment (gnomish control panels or tombstones, etc.) was something we originally considered. In fact, the Collection revolving around ghosts in Chapterhouse was originally going to be exactly that, with each item being somehow related to that person's death. When you looted the item, a small scene of ghosts reliving their last moments would play out, revealing why the item you just picked up is important to their story.

It was changed to a standard visual collection set, due to a combination of time constraints and mixed feelings about using non-standardized visuals for Collection items on the dev team. It's something we'd like to consider in the future, though, and might be a fun way to expand upon the system in a future update.
  6. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

64 slot collection item only bag? :D
  7. Augur Developer

This is location has been fixed internally, and will be patched with the next hotfix (no ETA yet).
  8. Augur Developer

Would you actually use that? There's not much incentive to keep the items in your bags since you can only get credit for collecting them once, and the item disappears when you do that.

They definitely take up inventory space while adventuring, but is it really so much that it justifies losing a bag slot?
  9. silku Augur

You forget the player driven market and collecting for alts. People still collect them for guild mates, friends, etc long after they've finished all the collections for themselves.
  10. Augur Developer

You have nice guild mates if they're willing to give up a bag slot to hold Collection items for friends :) I know players share/trade/sell these, but I'm a little surprised to hear that players keep such large quantities in their inventory for long enough periods of time to warrant using a specific bag for them. Rather than just giving them away immediately or tossing them into trader's satchels to sell.

Thanks for sharing! I'd love to hear from other collectors, and from anyone who pre-ordered RoF and received the Collections bag from that. Do you/would you use a collection items-only bag?
  11. Trajet D'Or Augur

No, but keeping them in the bank for a long time is presumably fairly common and 64 items in 1 bag would beat 64 items in 2-4 bags.

Getting a large number of collectibles in inventory generally means almost all items you gather/loot during that play session are collectibles so a standard bag would work the same as a collection only bag and someone would have to collect for a long time to have more than 150 stacks of collectibles and it's quite easy to have that many open inventory slots if you know you are off to do collections.
  12. Augur Developer

Thanks for your feedback, Trajet. I would love to know if the bolded part of your comment is true for most players, which is why I'm asking here. It's probably not wise to base reward decisions on assumptions.
  13. Silias McKendrick Augur

Augur
    Found one spawn in Gorge of King Xorrb that cannot be reached.
    If your at the lake facing the direction the stream is coming from it
    is on the left past the cave up on a flat spot that is up the wall a little.
    (id give a loc but thats to much time ha)

FYI
    I would use at least a 2nd bigger bag in my inventory maybe even one
    for my bank. Lots of us have alts (many many many alts/boxes) that we
    would keep them for.

I would personally love to see collections in old zones. You could make
    the rewards cosmetic or fun items. (polymorph wands or hero forge items
    ect) since the old zones are not a danger to look for them in.
    To make older zones a challenge even you could put one on rare spawns
    to make it harder to get.

Honestly collections is probably one of the better ideas you guys have
    implemented into the game for casual players and/or to keep people
    busy when not grouping. I want a group game but sometimes you just
    cannot get a group or just do not feel like grouping but still want to play
    which is what WOW did good but took to far hurting the challenge of
    group play in most aspects.
  14. Augur Developer

This spot has also been fixed internally and should go live with the next hotfix (no ETA yet).

Side note: I also lowered the Chapterhouse spawn brought up in here yesterday. It's getting a QA pass, then should be ready for the hotfix as well.

Thanks for the feedback!
  15. Shang Augur

I do this quest in spurts, but yeah, i'd use a 64 slot bag for this.

I've given quite a few pieces away, sold quite a few, traded quite a few.

When you're trading within a zone, it helps to have a large pool of items to trade from... Which, would be the great point of a 64 slot bag.

However... If the 64 slot bag was the reward for doing the collectors, I don't know how used it'd be. Probably put it in my bank at that point.
  16. Silias McKendrick Augur

I didnt realize there was something wrong with the Chapter house.
    Though there had to be a spot somewhere in the caves that were eating
    them that I could not see or find. (I know there is one or two spots where the cave
    collections spawns on the upper floors which might be what happened to me
    the other day)
  17. Augur Developer

The Chapterhouse problem spot that I'm aware of isn't unreachable for everyone, just those silly short races. I moved the spawn to a lower ledge on the wall because it was easier then buying every gnome a ladder.
  18. Trajet D'Or Augur

You made some collectibles rarer than others and there is no known means to target the rarer drops to counter the default collection rarity.

This means that in the long term, a point which may already be reached, all non-rare collectibles are worth virtually nothing as they enter server circulation faster than the rarer items and have virtually no value without the rarer item.

Some of the collectible item links being more popular than Chestplate of the Constant Pot Smoker is the only reason those collectibles which exist in quantities greater than the rarer items have any value at all in the long term.

As a result basic market forces will lead to the non-rare collectibles reaching such a low price point in Bazaar that players will either destroy or store the items. Basic human nature means many players won't destroy the items and will instead store them for a future alt or other what if scenario until/if they lack sufficient conviniently available storage space for the items.
  19. silku Augur

I personally would indeed want a 64 slot bag, if nothing else to save the rare kill drops for guild mates in my bank. For what it's worth, I'd also buy a gnome ladder!
    Augur likes this.
  20. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I started typing that as a joke, then realized it would be most useful for those who have finished and are collecting to trade/sell/give.

Question, would pre-RoF (and future) 'collection'-style items be allowed? Stomple's eggs? Housing groundspawns?

How about Collection quests in the next set of Hotzones?