Client freeze when adding to AdvLoot filters

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Quatr, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Quatr Augur

When soloing, I use the new advanced loot system. In most cases it's faster than the old way. However, there is one problem that has become more and more of an issue over the last few days.

At first marking a new item "Always Greed" or "Never" was almost instantaneous. Over the last week and a dozen+ zones, the list has gotten fairly long (hundreds of items) and now it takes up to 5 seconds to add a new item. While the system is going through the motions, the client is frozen. I have tried re-logging, restarting the PC, etc, but there has been no change. These freezes are getting longer and longer as I add more stuff to the list.

Is it just me or are others seeing the same issue?

P.S. For reference purposes, I can run up to 3 clients on this PC with only minor lag in the GL, so it's not like the PC is underpowered.
  2. Ferry-Tunare Augur

The advanced looting system isn't designed to keep up with that many different items. Edit your filters and remove items from it. Sorry.
  3. Xikteny Augur

This is a pretty annoying issue. I'm sure people would like to be able to maintain a list of filters large enough to cover all the zones they find themselves in over time.

Perhaps the system can be made more efficient. Aside from this problem, I like /advloot quite a lot.
  4. Quatr Augur

OK, so it's not just me. Thanks.
  5. Xikteny Augur

I don't get 5s of lag, but I definitely do have filter-related lag FWIW.
  6. Riou EQResource

There seems to be some frame delays/skips while you scroll through a filter list in game as well when it is large. I only have in the like 600 line range of filters combined and I only get like 1/2-1 second lag spikes, if it was 5 seconds I'd probably stop using it :p
  7. Quatr Augur

Perhaps my problem is that I have leveled a character from the mid-60s to almost 90 over the last few weeks. Add some side trips to get AC augments, run HAs/hot zone quests and the number of "always greed" and "never" items quickly goes up. Then again, maybe there is something odd about my system setup that causes the freeze to be longer. I could live with 05.-1 second freezes, but 5 second ones are unpleasant.
  8. asgaard Augur

I haven't played around much with the new system yet but I will eventually. I believe, over time they will iron out the problems people are having and it will be a lot better. I'm happy that they made it optional. I like the old way just fine, but I can see how advanced looting could be very helpful in certain situations.
  9. Laryn New Member

I am also experiencing something very similar.

In the group I play with, we frequently switch characters and try and level up several characters each day and I've merged the list with my "main master looter" character and there is roughly 1.5-3s lag now as the list is rather huge. Unfortunately, while I'm stuck waiting for the client to receive the information that's 2-5s each time a new piece drops that I'm not available to assist my group.

However, the hardest lag I am getting is when changing an item that I marked "AG" during the group session and then trying to mark it as NV *after* the session and we realize it does not sell to vendor for enough to make it worth our while to loot. This lag can be anywhere from 3-5s, which increases the more items I drop into my edit filters.

*edit - (For those whose advise is to turn it off) - Initially I disliked the advl system, but now that I am more versed at using it and the list is in place it is saving a tremendous amount of time, solo or grouping. So turning it off would be a shame and I would like to avoid that.
  10. Cury Elder

I am seeing the same thing as well.
    I have recently been mass killing in older zones and have built up my NEVER lists.
    Auto looting is still fine, but MAN... when I add a item into my NEVER list, it locks up the client for about 3 seconds each time I add it to the NEVER list.

I am assuming as my list has grown, when I need to add something to the NEVER list, there are so many entries, it lags out the client while parsing the current list to add one entry.

My NEVER list was only built up from killing in Kod'Taz, Qvic, and LDONs.

An option to loot everything that is not marked no trade, tradeskill, quest that vendor-sells for over 12PP would be an awesome way to not have to create an enormous NEVER list.
  11. Quatr Augur

I have no knowledge of the way the EQ software works internally, but it sounds like an implementation flaw rather than a design flaw. The LF_AG* and LF_Nvr* files (which is where the Advanced Loot filters are stored) are only 13K and 4K in size in my case. That's not a lot of data and shouldn't take multiple seconds to load, parse and save even without caching. Of course, there may be any number of other things going on under the covers which we wouldn't know about.
  12. Cury Elder

Size isn't necesarrily indicative of the amount of content within the txt file (assuming one small line of text per item entry).
    The designer should look into how many entries are supported before the client starts to experience lag.
    In your never file, how many line items are present?

Who knows, maybe the designer set the client to read the file in batches of entries, and it pauses for every 20 entries to read the next 20 etc.. Hopefully they will take a look at it to make it realistically useable.
  13. Quatr Augur

I suppose it's possible that they are using an N2 (quadratic) algorithm or some such.

There are 389 lines in my master looter's LF_AG* file and 114 lines in the LF_Nvr* file.
  14. Ferry-Tunare Augur

Size matters, eh?
  15. Hludwolf Developer

I'm looking into this issue.
    Riou, Quatr, Iila and 3 others like this.
  16. Treefrog Journeyman

I was having this issue also. Ferry-Tunare kindly advised that size does matter so I went through my Never list, removed a bunch of stuff and the lag disappeared. For what it's worth, I have started to hit Leave on items that don't seem to drop a lot and save Never for items that consistently drop to keep my Never list smaller and that seems to help.

It is not as much fun to have to go through and trim the Filter occasionally to keep it from lagging but I remain a fan of the Advanced Loot System.