Not A Bug Client does not read setting from eqclient.ini

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by MistaBrown, Jul 22, 2022.

1. MistaBrown New Member

Hello,

This issue was posted in a different context and marked as "not a bug" but I think it actually is. The change with the patch to make windowed mode default has either created the bug or made it apparent. Despite the WindowedMode= setting in the ini, the game always starts in windowed mode.

My understanding of the patch change was to make windowed the default setting, not to remove the ability to change the setting based on a player's preference. I have yet to see someone promoting, or happy about the change, so I think it's worth investigating if this is an intentional outcome.
    Yinla likes this.
  2. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Not a bug. They simply no longer call upon that setting. If you still had your original .ini install throughout all of the changes over 20+ years, you'd see many abandoned properties. If they force-culled the .ini, if could disrupt many players. It's easier to just abandon in place.
  3. MistaBrown New Member

Not sure how you can say it's not a bug. The setting was persistent before this most recent patch. Unless you're a Dev and know that the setting in the ini being abandoned was intentional?

Making something a default setting is not the same as making it unable to be saved as a setting. If a Dev marks this post as not a bug, then we know it was intended and just not fully explained in the patch notes.
  4. Soulbanshee Augur

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...n-windowed-mode-rather-than-fullscreen.284439

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...tting-not-saving-on-exit.284442/#post-4153886
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  5. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Like the links from Soulbanshee. The patch notes did not say:

The client will now [default to] launch in windowed mode rather than fullscreen.

It says:

The client will now always launch in windowed mode rather than fullscreen.

That is not changing it, that is forcibly making it be the way they want it to be. Thus, it is now an abandoned property and unable to be changed. Seems pretty intentional to me. Why? I don't know. Maybe it fixes some other issue(s). Maybe Full Screen will 100% be abandoned in the future. Those things I don't know. I do know that it isn't a bug that the WindowedMode setting no longer works.