Cleric Contravention/intervention DPS worth the casting time?

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Dragnath, Feb 19, 2022.

1. Dragnath Elder

My Cleric is currently set up to heal using Promised>Guileless Remedy>Sincere Remedy which is the bulk of the overall healing in my group. Do people use the contravention/intervention lines to add dps as well, and is it worth the extra 1-1.25s cast time?

If so I am wondering where you would fit them in a hockey, between global cooldown and spell refresh I can keep the 3 quick heals pretty much spamming nonstop.

I would test it myself but I don't have the focus maxed for the DPS lines as I have never really used them.
  2. Crystilla Augur

Are you talking just in group situations or raids? Asking since you mentioned "in my group".

As a group player, I do have the 3 remedies, 1 renewal, 1 group heal, 1 group elixer and 2 interventions up. In the past, it's been said it was better (when you can use it) to do contraventions (more damage/healing), but for my playstyle, interventions are better.

How is the DPS in your groups? Do you do a lot of pickup groups where DPS may fluctuate or do you have a steady group set where DPS kills the mobs pretty quick? My personal motto is to add as much value as I can and I'll do 3 remedies, then either restart that cycle or use each of the two interventions, then back to the 3 remedies until those pop up again. With the AA's, the recast timer gets reduced so even without the focus AA's (which I've finally started earning in the last month only), for me it's helped.

I don't use hotkeys for heals. I do have a multibind heal though I prefer to heal manually most of the time. On the multibind, is the 3 remedies, then renewal (and group heal).
    Dragnath likes this.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

Use as many "tools" as you can! It makes the class less boring to play!

Now if you're breaking mezzes that could be a bad thing, but otherwise even a little bit of dps can help.
    Dragnath likes this.
  4. Dragnath Elder

My apologies, some context would have helped.

I am talking group content, and my Cleric is my 3rd box so I am typically in a full group with a friend who 3 boxes, or if I am playing on my own I run Enc, Dru, Clr with Merc Tank and 2 DPS mercs.
  5. Biltene Kingslayer

When I am in a group on my cleric where survival is not a key concern, I try to have fun with it and provide a bit of DPS while healing. I have a setup where I nuke with the 2 most recent contraventions, then nuke with twincast nuke, and then cast the 2 most recent interventions, since the twincast will twin the heal and the nuke. It doesn't do much, but it's fun to feel like I'm contributing.
    Dragnath and Metanis like this.
  6. Trelania New Member

I heal in groups almost the same as I do in raid. 2 remedies, 1 intervention (sometimes 1 remedy, 2 interventions) with a lot of group heals in the mix out of habit and I typically group with the same guys who like to show each other up and aggro bounces a lot. I have a "DPS" spell set that consists of several contraventions that I use on occasion but testing it has proven to be crap DPS without "burning", imo. I am max AA.

I guess I'm just weird in that I don't get bored healing THAT often as I also use lots of other stuff and things to make sure health bars stay full and we're ready for adds whenever.
    Dragnath likes this.
  7. Cadira Augur

Quit being a drama queen and get back to raid healing! ;P
  8. Gundolin Augur

If I have a tank in the group I'll usually use

Nuke Int, Int, Nuke Cont, Cont, I've seen people suggest a third Nuke Int, Cont in the rotation so you never have all of your Int & Cont greyed out, but I usually stick to just the four.

Since most pulls don't require fast healing with a moderately geared tank. If the pull goes bad I generally keep my base multi bind up;

Remedy, Remedy, Composite Blessing, Int, Int, xxx (sixth spell can vary with the two remedy, CB, & INT x2 you will have a gap when you're not casting this is bad, but in a group setting it depends on how many spell slots I have open, I'll often add a third Intervention here, Ward of Persistence, or sometimes even Syllable, it really varies, you just don't ever want to be waiting for all your heal keys to come up).
  9. Mindbend New Member

All depends on your tank and number of mobs pulled... if maxing out and tank taking a lot of damage, continue healing raid style. However, if healing can be taken care of with contraventions and interventions, then may as well just use those. It's terrible dps, but still better than nothing... Intervention > Intervention > Intervention, change target, contravention > contravention > contravention. will continue to add heals or can add the twincast nuke/regular nukes in if want, if don't need continuous heals.
  10. Tallie Elder

I am lazy. Rather than have to change spell line-ups, I use the same heals for both groups and raids - 3 remedies, 2 interventions, 2 group heals, composite, and what ever utility spells that I need (or needed last time I raided.

Since I play with a regular group, if that kind of healing is not needed, I play my SK!
  11. Emilari UI Designer

When I'm in a raid or group setting where tons of healing is needed, I'll run 3 remedies, and 2-3 interventions.

When I'm in a group setting where tons of healing isn't needed, or moloing, or soloing, I tend to use a combination of 3 contraventions, and 3-4 other nukes/stuns.

One thing I've noticed hasn't really been mentioned is the OP's question about the cast time - sure, the base cast time is longer, but if you use the Celestial Rapidity AA, it brings the cast time down to 0.75s. If Rapidity is paired with warrior's imperators command, or if you have bard quick time, it's essentially instant cast.

Even if you don't have such spell haste running, the difference in cast time has been a non-issue for any content I've wanted to do - I find it more effective to include interventions or contraventions than just using 3 remedies alone.