Cleric class group (un)desirability and requested 'upgrades'

Discussion in 'Priests' started by PatchinBB, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Fullwin Journeyman

I don't know that we need to do anything to bring shaman or druids down, but cleric DPS (even against undead) is just sad compared to every other class... I "battle cleric" a lot in groups and it's fun for me to pretend I'm helping but it's ultimately not that much use to the group. A few ideas, echoing what some have said already:

1) new Focus AA for Improved Intervention and Improved Contravention to lower the reuse time of these spells by at least another several seconds... I'd still have options to load all interventions or all contraventions but this way I'm not forced to use level 105/103 spells to avoid a break in casting.
    2) more AA that generally improve recast timers on our nukes and stuns
    3) new AA to get more uptime for Divine Avatar and Battle Frenzy (whether through longer duration or quicker refresh)
    4) an AA that mimics Vow of Vituperation / Vow of Veracity, lowering healing efficacy but adding a damaging proc; I'd even trade the recoursing HoT for a much larger damage proc for this new AA. Or the proc could do something that provides short-term aDPS to the group even if the damage doesn't come directly from the cleric. If not an AA, make the spell scale better to current DPS standards.
    5) whatever the means, there should be some stronger incentive for us to melee, whether through itemization, spell, or AA increases. Maybe some sort of recourse proc that increases our melee damage output steadily and significantly over time but it doesn't last very long so we have to be constantly swinging away to keep it improving?
    6) fix the Turn Undead / undead nuke destruction debuff stacking (I had made another post asking about this)
    7) whether through AA or just making the spell better, give the Unyielding Censure twincast more than two charges and make it work on Contraventions as well
    8) bring back Mark of Tohan (short-term version of our "normal" reverse DS) but make it do about 200x more damage and give us AA to lower its recast timer

Also, on the healing end of things we're pretty good but I'd love a copy of Restoring Splash that does an AE (not just group) heal around my position instead of free-target... I hate fumbling with the mouse and having to look down at the ground when I'm already next to the people who need healing, and there are terrain areas where free-target spells just don't work.
    Raccoo and Tucoh like this.
  2. bortage spammin lifetaps

I don't know about war/pal but I thought SK ran with threads belt, shining aegis is good stuff though regardless
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I know about shining Aegis, I included that as a proc buff

I then went on to talk about debuffs

You must surely know the difference between a buff you place on a player & a de-buff that goes on a mob?
  4. Raccoo Augur

You must surely know that a run-on sentence made it difficult to know you were talking about different things.

Adding yet another useful debuff is a terrible idea for raids since there is a distinct lack of debuff space.

In my opinion, the area clerics need most help is personal dps.

Take it from an adps class who hates that adps helps self dps very little, don't go the route of adps, especially not melee adps as a caster. At least enchanter adps helps the chanter that is grouped with all melee.
    Tucoh likes this.
  5. Tucoh Augur

Agree with this.

A huge chunk of enchanter's ADPS coming from their synergy which procs from DDs is great.

[21685/49726] Beguiler's Synergy III
    Duration: 12s (2 ticks) Song, Dispelable: No
    Max Hits: 1 Matching Spells
    1: Increase Spell Damage by 55% (v461, Before Crit)
    2: Limit Resist: Magic
    3: Limit Resist: Fire
    4: Limit Resist: Cold

Instead of increasing the skill-cap for ADPS by requiring them to play whack-a-mole buff-bot (Like Enchanters have to do with NET and clerics have to do with Divine Intermediation) the enchanter's ADPS coming from a low-cooldown DD makes it much more fun by rewarding attentive enchanters for keeping their DD on cooldown, which is more satisfying because it directly damages the mob.

Would be interesting to provide clerics a DD that did significantly more damage than what they have now while providing an ADPS component. This wouldn't impact raiding clerics that much because they should be too busy healing to cast a DD and shouldn't be in caster groups but would still make a cleric a more competitive option with shaman/druids for groups that aren't taking on high-damage content that really utilizes a cleric's overwhelming healing capability.
  6. Metanis Bad Company

Just give us a new big DD. Call it Divine Joke. Hit for 100,000,000 non-resistible damage but with a 89% chance to proc a 1,000,000 hp Death Touch on the caster!
    Tucoh likes this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Don't blame me for your poor reading comprehension.

I didn't suggest another debuff, I was suggesting boosting an existing one, I will concede that I could have worded it better.

I agree up to a point, mentioned that in my post, but there are multiple areas the 3 Priests operate in.

1. Healing
    2. Long-term stat Buffing
    3. Short term proc Buffing
    4. Personal DPS
    5. ADPS

Shaman is great in all 5
    Druid is great in 4 but has UTILITY from evac & ports
    Cleric is great in 3 and has nothing else to offer

The Cleric is weak in both personal DPS & ADPS, and has no additional UTILITY so fixing only one won't help group desirability, to be more desirable for groups it will need both an upgrade to personal DPS & something else on top, it really has fallen that far behind it needs a 2-pronged upgrade.

Any constructive suggestions on what?

I gave mine, feeling that Clerics are more suited to melee than the other two priests (from both a D&D historical perspective & the fact EQ Clerics are plate-wearers).