Classic Class Ratings

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Khalifa Kush, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Xhartor Augur

Maybe the raid he was hoping to go on already had an enchanter to buff them?
  2. Agonybot New Member

Just saying people invite me when they see a new enchanter log in... I don't necessarily group. That being said; I prefer to group and talk with people. I like to help groups regardless of my benefit.

It's not about being good, either. Enchanters are just wanted in almost every group and with the pick system there are a lot of groups in need.
  3. Typucm Elder

So after Luclin noone need Necro?
    I understand melee classes will be top dps, but necro able to solo / good to group?
    I love necro, but if after Luclin them lose i will cry :(
    Need more info about necro past PoP if possible.
    Last time i play necro was Kunark :)
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Not really, no. Nobody NEEDs a necro in their group, and almost any other dps will probably do more dps. Offer to pull or something and you can probably find groups easier than applying as a DPS.
  5. Typucm Elder

Bad info :(
    Seems better start as enchanter or mage, or even melee? :(
  6. HoodenShuklak Augur

TLP's... really depends on if you want to flip flop classes. Because things change and power changes a lot early on.

In classic, necros are super strong in groups they can charm in the most popular zone, lguk. They also aren't gear dependent. But you've got to be a diehard to stick with them. They really get outshined in a lot of ways, and you will always be expected to have mana to pump clerics, which some people don't like.

If the exp is fast enough, there is no reason to think you must play just 1 class. For example, on Agnarr, it was totally reasonable to have numerous max level characters and you didn't have to kill yourself doing it. As expansions roll on, it's really easy to get geared up and caught up to the pack as well.
    practicalnurse and Crayon123 like this.
  7. Trevalon Augur

Necros are not bad and in Classic are definitely a very solid class (as someone who main'd a necro in Classic > Velious on TLP servers I do not agree with those who say they are the "best" class in classic) the problem is that in Kunark they get a little worse, then Velious a little worse (well, in certain circumstances, they are great in NTOV!), then once Luclin hits they have a very steep decline (We parsed a ton of Luclin raids and found that it was actually more beneficial to have our necros cast nothing but Mind Wrack and buff better casters than to actually do dmg themselves) which continues to GoD when they get a little love from AA's for their Dots, then it's just a decline from there till I know they recover at some point but they become so annoying to play cause you need to re memorize 3 sets of spell slots to dot enough to keep up with dmg apparently.

Mage has the same problem. Good in Classic, but has even faster drop off than Necros and honestly are pretty meh for so many expansions after classic that they are mostly just bots.

Enchanter is much better for grouping through multiple eras, but they are very boring on most raids (Just buff bots for most raids when charm becomes less effective). Monks are solid but require a lot of uptime to do good numbers. If your not johnny on the spot then better monks will outshine you really fast (and there will be a TON of monks).
    Crayon123 likes this.
  8. Kahna Augur

As a necro I topped the parses in hate/fear/vox/lower sky. I could top Naggy if the RNG was kind and the chanters actually took the time to tash him. (Seriously, 7 chanters on a raid and not one of them actually tashes the boss until I tell them to. But that's another complaint) I also didn't use a charm pet in hate/fear. It lowered my DPS to do so. After extensive parsing I determined I could do far more with dots/taps and my own pet while FDing off aggro than my charm pet could do while hampering my ability to control my aggro. Sure I could have FD'ed then recharmed my pet, but in those short burst fights that time spent not DPSing kills your parse. Without a charm pet I easily could do 40-50% more dps than I could with a charm pet. That was with a BCG and a WDC.

I only got better in Kunark too. Still topped all the parses, With careful positioning of my pet and well timed jousting I had almost 100% uptime on all the indoor dragons. This even carried on into early Velious, though that is when I eventually had to take a break due to RL. I hear it gets worse eventually.

I could also put up respectable, consistent dps in groups. Then again, my groups fought harder mobs that took a little longer to die, rather than grinding on light blues. My poison dot had the time to do enough dmg to make it worth casting. Certainly no one ever complained that I was in the group, or felt they were carrying me. Necro's are stronger than people give them credit for. It's a shame you have, apparently, only played with bad ones.
  9. Iyvy Augur

We're talking about what makes the best group, and you suggested that a monk could wipe a group of enchanters (which they couldn't, because aoe stuns are a thing), therefore enchanters arent 1000x better than monks, or monks aren't literally useless in groups. You've moved the goal posts so far we're into another field and I've scored on you.

Sorry to tell you this smacks of badness across the board for a lot of reasons. You were probably topping the parse because you have 7 enchanters who won't tash.

Also I doubt your pet was properly equipped/buffed, but i digress. Also no waaaay you win on Naggy over a proper giant. Or in sky for that matter. You should win with pets in hate and fear, but to suggest that necro dots beat out charm pets is like insane?

Yes EB is pretty crazy but its not quadding for 600 in a swing every 1.2 seconds crazy.

All of which is moot. I don't understand why anyone cares about raid parsing. Like your guild with 7 enchanters and god knows what else wasn't gonna get the boss if you hadn't done 11% more efficient dps.

What makes a class good is soloing/grouping potential, anyone can show up to raid.

Although I generally don't.
  10. Renshu Augur

You're disillusional, I just quoted the conversation.
  11. ECrack Augur

God Tier - Enchanter

S Tier - Cleric, Warrior (Raid not group), Necromancer

A Tier - Monk (nearly S tier), Mage, Shaman, Bard (when not afk'd and played well), Hesitantly I add Druid to A tier instead of B.

B Tier - Wizard, Ranger

C Tier - Warrior, SK

D Tier - Paladin, Rogue.

In before people lose their mind over the Ranger placement. The wizard was lonely.
    Crayon123 likes this.
  12. Rexxy Journeyman

List is pretty good as long as chanter gets to play uncontested. Soon as the dispells and trains start the chanters dead while the necros are still farming. Also without defensive arent warriors just vanilla knights without agro spells in classic?
  13. Ultrazen Augur

I see a lot of people ranking wiz pretty high, I disagree with that pretty strongly.

1. Mana pool. It's horrible in classic.
    2. Resists. Take a wiz to a raid and you get resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, hit for 57, sit down for 15 minutes because you're OOM.

Wizards are horrible in classic.

I also see people bagging a lot on druids, which I also disagree with. Druids are a great swing class in a group. Can DPS when it's easy, and backup heal and root when it's tough. They also bring snare, which many people forget is actually very important in classic. There are a couple of places that will kill you dead quick if you get a runner. People are so used to burning through old content with mercs and seriously overpowered gear, and forget what a place like Guk is like in crap gear with no mercs.

If you could make a lizard monk, I'd probably do that, just because they require zero cash or gear to level. Chanter, Cleric, Mage, Necro, Monk. Everything else is a very distant second.
  14. Crayon123 Augur

All of the classes you have listed in S and A tier are the ones I usually fill my groups with in Classic, so I tend to agree with that assessment. I'd slide Druid to B tier though, they aren't THAT good.

However your B tier really makes me wonder how Wizard got there. Their DPS is really quite awful and they have a lot of down-time. They are usually the last class I would pick, other than rogues which are just non-factors. I'd rather take a second chain-pulling tank (Paladin/SK) to pull, and just make up for the DPS difference with a second charmed pet enchanter to also help with the extra CC any day.
  15. ECrack Augur

Well I did say hesitantly I add druid to A. The fact is druid can’t really be lumped in with wizard/ranger or below. If it makes you feel better we can say Druid is B.5 in its own tier somewhere in limbo between A and B. And to your next question on b and down, fact is all of those classes are hot garbage compared to the A and above. So think of it more like if those were the only classes. Wizard and ranger are top tier, sk and warrior are mid tier and rogue and Paladin are low tier.

The fact is druid is better than wizard. But Wizard is better than those below it so they need their own spot. I hear your argument against wizards but
    When comparing garbage to trash, at least one can be used as compost. The others are not bio degradeable.
    Crayon123 likes this.
  16. a_librarian Augur

Druids have big advantages in classic with ports and powerleveling ability. If you value those things highly then druid is excellent. In raids they are non critical and nobody misses them until POTG/Ro's fire resist debuffs come into the picture
  17. Iyvy Augur

The argument was over whether 3 enchanters is the ideal group. Arguing over whether people try and wipe groups was a distraction. Further more 3 enchanters is the perfect group to have if someone does try and wipe you, since 3 enchanters literally cant be wiped if they have a brain.
  18. Renshu Augur

Your conversation with someone else. I only jumped in when you said "people don't try to wipe groups". Its all in text. That's cool, since nobody ever agrees with you here anyway, it makes perfect sense that you are delusional about life! Look forward to your next 20 crappy threads!

(You should do yourself a favor and re-read the tread for real.)
  19. ECrack Augur

....Must be from Relentless Insomnia, lol this train of thought (no pun intended) legit made me cringe.

So, sure you're not wrong, if you're an .

But for the majority of us who DON'T plan to grief people on a 20 year old game over pixels. Enchanter > Necromancer
  20. Rexxy Journeyman

Not sure what relentless insomnia is just someone who has played on enough tlps to know that when content gets contested and eq players are invovled it regularly devolves into a gun fight. Necro brings the guns, chanter is stuck with a knife without a hilt.