Classic character models vs "New"

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Wizardly Vagabond, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Wizardly Vagabond New Member

So I was wondering, if I were to make a character on say Agnarr or Phinigel - which character models would be the best in terms of armor and weapon aesthetics in the long run? I mean if I get some awesome armor from a more recent expansion for a character and I'm using the older, classic character models - do I miss out on seeing my character looking his best in that new armor? I hope you can understand what I am getting at. I'd love to hear what you all think.
  2. Finnster Elder

good question. I think you're right.
  3. Coppercoz Augur

For one, you'll always look funky on a mount with old models. I've gotten used to the new models but they do have their quirks.

Dwarves roll was replaced with a flip. Wtf?

Almost all the relaxed models are just awkward, many with weapons pointed in crazy directions.

What's up with the barb female casting animation?

Turning animation for most human type models looks like they're having an appendicitis by tucking the left elbow in. This is a pet peeve of mine.

Iksar are ok, but I prefer the old model.

Which why I avoid any issues by playing frogloks. :)
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  4. Brumans Augur

Yes, if you use the classic models you'll miss out any new armor models.

Classic models just have textures to represent armor (aside from weapons and helm), so it just cycles through those.

I always hated the Luclin models, but I finally decided to force myself to give them a try. I made myself use them for a whole week. I really hated them at first, but eventually grew to appreciate the improvements over the classic models.

They definitely have issues, poor animations being the biggest one, but overall I found the pros outweighed the cons.
  5. Chatoyan Elder

So much of it comes down to personal taste. I really don't like the old models, and cringe a bit whenever I see them in a screenshot. But others love them. I also don't care for any of the armor graphic aug sets (looks too much like gear in WoW), but it's pretty common to see players with it.

Try the new models, see how you like them. If you don't, just go back to the original stuff. It's not like doing so takes a ton of effort.
  6. FatherDoom New Member

With the exception of Female Barb, Ogres and Trolls, all the new models are improvements. The new Ogres look...not good. Same with trolls and the way the New model Female barb stands (like shes trying her best to get a breeze under her skirt) drives me up a wall.
  7. Herf Augur

LOL, it's like she's signaling a plane with semaphore flags to come in for a landing on an aircraft carrier! :D
  8. Kattria Minx Augur

I really hate the new animations for the humans/elves/barbarians. The relaxed and turning animations drive me bonkers, and kneeling to med is stupid. I turned on the new models so I could see my girl wearing a panda and fox hat, but meh...
  9. Ethereal Augur

Um, excuse me, it's called onnanoko zuwari. Please don't culture shame!

[IMG]
  10. Ultrazen Augur

The new character models are an abomination, and should be destroyed in some kind of fiery pit and never spoken of again.
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  11. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Load the new models so you can see everyone else in the old models.

Play in first person so you don't have to worry about what you look like.
  12. Mad_Mikey Elder

I play with old models on TLP’s and I hadn’t logged onto my Live server in ages, until I had to a couple months ago for some reason I forget at the moment. I temporarily switched new models back on on Live for some other reason I forget, though I recall it having to do with my mount.

For grins, I left the new models on when I went back to Agnarr, and saw the good looking human character old model I’d chosen was now a bald, goofy-looking potato-headed guy in a puffy red dress, who ran funny. It took me about six seconds to switch back. But I still cringe knowing how my character looks to the majority (I’m guessing) of the server, who likely use new models.
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  13. eqzekisdead Augur

new models suck
    new bazaar blows
    new freeport and commonlands stink
  14. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

You run EQ on Windows 98 SE? Yeah, didn't think so, so why should all the toons look like Captain Polygon? There are improvements, but most simpleminded people are deathly afraid of change. This what what I attribute most of the hate for new models to. People become scared when things change :p

With the exception of New Troll and New Ogre, those are terrible.
  15. Machentoo Augur

It is 2017, almost 2018. Let's not pretend that models from 2002 are some vast technological improvement over models from 1999. Remember, clients running under Windows 98SE once rendered those "new" models just fine.
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  16. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Actually one could make the argument that the advances from 1999 to 2002 in 3D art rendering were significant. Did you work in the industry during that time? I suspect not. Take a look at the Unreal Engine (1998) and compare it to the Unreal Engine 2 (2002) tell me there is not a difference. Obviously there is not that stark of a contrast between old models and new models but some prefer one over the other. What I argue against is the concept that the older version of something is inherently better. This is preference based, not fact based,

All one needs to do is simply look at the models to see the difference. Ak`anon looks like sh*t compared to Shadow Haven, and EVERYONE damn well knows it. Can't you just admit you dislike the new models and leave it at that?