[Class Raid Roles] - Clarification please

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Random_internet_guy, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Silv Augur

As someone mentioned above, every Enchanter plays differently. Despite the same tools at our disposal, it would be difficult to find any two PCs who do things the same way unless Enchanter A specifically tells Enchanter B what to do (and that's still likely to fail). That's one of the reasons why Enchanters have so much infighting. It's hard to "agree" on something when you have so many different view points.

Some raids are what I consider "Enchanter unfriendly" and NTOV was a good example.These are the times where you do your normal stuff that you do EVERY raid like debuff, (re)buff, add ADPS. These raids you usually wind up picking up slack for other classes like making sure stuff is slowed sooner and you can focus more on personal DPS.

Some examples of raids where Enchanters are an extreme boost (you can always find a work around if you have enough tanks though): In ROF - Shards Landing, Eastern Wastes, Evantil, Grelleth, Xorbb 2, Chelsith, HOF2. That's 7 of 17. These require extensive mezzing and charming in very different ways depending on the raid. The same goes for the COTF raids listed below.

For COTF raids - WK1, Bixie 2, Tower of Rot, Argin Hiz, Void. That's 5 of 12.

The challenge of a raid Enchanter is that you have something to do 99% of the time unless it's COTF Neriak 2 phase 1 and then you just afk (j/k). Every mob should be debuffed, spell shields need to be constantly redone throughout the raid, people dying constantly will ask for rebuffs (regardless of what you are doing), you are coordinating special AA debuffs for bosses with fellow Enchanters, you are DPSing, maintaining short duration auras the entire event (every 5 minutes), and arranging burn ADPS with druids, casters, and potentially bards in group, and depending on the content, also mezzing, charming, and/or stunning, etc. However, most Enchanters fail at most of this and they are a waste of a raid spot. Another pitfall is that an Enchanter is only as good as some of the casters in their group. If they don't know how to DPS and take advantage of our burn sequences then you're at a loss. The ADPS is one of the most important roles if you're going to do anything. Unfortunately most casters (and Enchanters) don't know what auras to run with which classes and when to use what group burn AA when.

Personally, I think being a raid Enchanter is one of the most rewarding or frustrating classes to play depending on the content. Of all the classes, content affects the role of the Enchanter the most IMO.

Side note - OP listed Mages as Tier 2 DPS. This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. On almost any raid that is caster friendly, a mage will be #1 on the parse, at least in the top 10, or at least beat some wizards. If your raid mages aren't doing this then they are doing it wrong.
    Sancus likes this.
  2. lefous Elder

war are best tank raid in game for sure
  3. Sancus Augur

This made me chuckle, but yeah this is definitely true. I won't get into mechanics that make fights less or more mage friendly (there are a lot of variables), but we most definitely can hold our own.
  4. Silv Augur

From my experience, there are very few raids where melee easily beat out Mages/casters on the parse but as you said, that's another topic.

However, it always makes me feel good because I'm the Mage group Enchanter usually :p We normally have 3 caster groups, each with an Enchanter - one group with Mages, one with Wizards, one with Necros. I know a lot of it has to do with skill of the actual DPS caster but knowing I can boost best for my team (IMO) is always nice. :)

In the past for guild(s) I have posted hard numbers, optimal burn sequences for ADPS (Enchanter+Druid+Bard w/ the casters' personal abilities), and even had Druids and Bards with audio triggers for when certain burn buffs dropped so there was no break in the burn lineup. It went so smooth; it was beautiful.

Interestingly, most Necros seem the most difficult to work with as an Enchanter. People get stuck in their ways even though they're losing out on DPS; it's a shame.
    Sancus likes this.