Class merges?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Time Burner 2, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Mayfaire Augur

Well, yeah, of course, I thought that went without saying. :D

Keeding,little ones, just keeding!!!
  2. Motherlee Augur

If clerics could port and invis, they'd never need anyone else.

I can see it. I scoffed at first but I can see it.
  3. Motherlee Augur

Really?
  4. Barbwarrior Augur

yea why not ;p
  5. Necromonious Augur

lol wut. Healer mercs are crap. A single merc is terrible for healing any actually challenging content (assuming you aren't splitting every pull and fully debuffing every mob). If all the player druid did was heal, and never dps at all, it would heal 10x as well as merc, but most likely, the druid would find healing so easy, it would be able to dps.

Even if you said, "well I can do every mission and HA of every zone and kill every named with one 1 healer merc", then you could do it FASTER with a druid healing. Because you could be less careful and get away with it, and you'd have the druid's dps during easy stuff to speed things along
  6. Ravengloome Augur

I knew you didn't like halflings... You racist human scum!
  7. McDougal Augur

Lizards? Frogs??? It was all downhill after that.
    Mayfaire and Motherlee like this.
  8. Motherlee Augur

Nobody likes halflings except Sebbina!
  9. Igniz Augur

Can we give concrete shoes to Time Burner 2 and call it a wrap? Throw him into the Lake of Ill Omen! Would save us all work in the long haul ...

Seriously, why would start consolidating classes? Furthermore - how would you implement it, even?
    Epics, Class-specific armor, Advanced abilities, Regular Abilities, Spells ..... The work the devs would save "in the long run" is heavily outweighed by the time the devs would need to spend to make a meaningful consolidation of classes happen. I'd rather have the devs put this time to good use with creating new content.
  10. Mayfaire Augur

<Dammit, I thought I hid it better than that!> :oops::D
  11. Ravengloome Augur

And to think of all the times I buffed and healed you. This is terrible.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  12. Melanippe Augur

If you want "merged" classes, you may want to wait for EQNext (if it ever materializes).

Meanwhile, if you actually believe that there is any real need to merge character classes in EverQuest, I really have to ask just how much grouping and/or raiding you do with the current classes. Clearly from your comments, it would seem you have actually had little if any regular game experience grouping with most if not all the classes you have mentioned.

Anyone who actually believes that all a ranger was wanted only for is tracking and/or Spirit of the Wolf, or that a Rogue is only good for pick-pocketing or lock-picking...by the way, casters have had spells dealing with locks for quite a number of years now...or that a Cleric or a Druid isn't desired in groups, one would have to wonder just what game that person is playing, since it is clearly NOT the EverQuest most of us are playing.
  13. Vlerg Augur

it's not an actual proposal to class merge, just a note on how similar classes are ( mostly DPS classes).
  14. Andronicus Elder

Terrible idea.
  15. svann Augur

I have never heard of a ranger being turned away from a group dps slot in all my years of grouping.
    You seem to be imagining a problem that does not exist.
  16. Scila Augur

Not the first time this has surfaced ... eq lore is what it is would I like a de druid would be an interesting twist ... do I want a priest class mush no. that would also interrupt the pally line which is part cleric part warrior and beast which is a shammy zerker combo if I remember correctly. if op wants a combo class to play those do exist and are fun. my 2cp not eq 1
    Silv likes this.
  17. Silv Augur

Yes, let's merge classes to consolidate abilities after we farmed all of them out to every other class already. Sounds like a solid idea :rolleyes:

So, merge Shm-Clr-Dru (wait, no one wants to be a druid, just delete them)

Merge Enchanters with... no one. Just delete Bards.

Consolidate Mages into Wizards (they have a sword pet, that's the same right?)

Ignore Necros (because that's what the devs have done for a million years)

And all the melee DPS can be squished into one class because they're all horrible thanks to [a lack of] class balancing.

Tanks, well, that shouldn't even be plural- there is only one.

I approve of the OP's idea!
    Xeladom, Elricvonclief and Scila like this.
  18. Necromonious Augur

The biggest problem I've seen with healer mercs is the AI. If you ever have to re-position during a fight, you are really risking your merc, because she won't move her fat a.s.s. until a mob is beating on her, and a single T3 TDS mob can gib her out in 1-2 swings, and that's with 13/13 melee defense merc AA

The second biggest problem is their AI. Now that I'm going back and doing some of the harder Cotf HA's for fun, I'm running into boss encounters with mechanics that require fast dispels to prevent horrible stuff that WILL cause a wipe. Secondly, some of these bosses have AoE's, directional or otherwise, that the stupid healer merc will stand in as they rain on her face and kill her.

The only good thing about healer mercs is that with good group MR and no drain effects, their mana can really go the distance. That's about the only good thing
  19. Makavien Augur

For the reply to this ; Beastlords are Shaman/Monk , Rangers are Druid /Warrior , Shadowknights are Warrior/Necromancer , Paladin are Warrior + Cleric , Bards have a mix of a few Classes Enchanter /Warrior/Necromancer (only guessing on this one) Beserkers took the warriors 2 hander dps =) and the rogues throwing it seems like to me. I think that is pretty good on merged classes already. I also listed the class that each hybrid seems to take the most power from first in my listing and the paladin I put a + sign because they seem to take a pretty even amount of power from both classes. Also each of the hybrids have their own niche like bards with fade/selos, Rangers with Bow damage/Tracking ,Shadowknights ability to aggro swarms of npcs and kite them, Paladin splashes/multiroles , beserker burn dps , Beastlords mana/end regen and im not sure on anything else I've never played one. I've also never played a ranger /sk /paladin/beserker more then 60 levels powerleveling , just going off what I can see from another's perspective. Druid and cleric are both parent classes so they both have a huge primary role in the raiding game same with Shamans.

To the main topic play more before wanting to try and completely change the game. I use a bard with selos to go every where and a mage running to coth the rest of me. Sow is still great to use when there is no bard. Clerics and druids both have two completely different ways of playing why would you want to take away someones choice , get rid of 1/6th the raiding power in the form of lost buffs ,and a caster dps group healer/adps (druid)? Rangers have been wanted for Dps since oh Velious ? Bards, druids, and rangers can track. Lock picking gets used like once a year for anything special and everyone can lock pick collecting the dead hills heroic adventure drops. Everyone can also sense traps and disarm traps with the same item.

And healer mercs = 1/3 a real healer in every situation and on every stance. In the highest end group zones you can see this plain as day as a raid geared warrior tanking a named with no deaths involved unless you do something wrong you need 3 healer mercs one on each stance. And in missions they don't even = 1/3 more like they have no means of surviving in the difficult group missions.

I would also much rather the developers spend their time minimizing the buttons we have to push , making tabbed chat windows , an in game parser , And making all old quests /raids/certain tough early group encounters into heroic adventures that scale to the average level of the group and reward us with currency that buys scaling items like cool augments and clickies. And other special items absolutely no monster missions please )
    Scila likes this.
  20. Whulfgar Augur

If your not being picked to grp with by others .. Play your class better.

thats all there is to it