Class merges?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Time Burner 2, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Time Burner 2 Augur

It seems as if some classes are not as desired/needed for group content as they used to be. For instance, rangers used to be wanted for things like SoW, and tracking. Well now everyone runs fast, and people cheatzorz like mad w tracking. Rogues picklock now gives way to casters getting spells to do the same thing. Disarm seems worthless etc. What about Merging say the Ranger and Rogue classes. Similar thing with Clerics and Druids. Of course healers are wanted for raids, but people mostly merc clerics now in the group game, and druid ports became less important back when PoK came out. Druids of course suffer the SoW fail as well.

Of course someone can pick at this short discourse, but the big picture is - it seems like some classes simply aren't as desired for group content like they used to be, and some of the same classes have been that way for several expansions. Merging abilities would allow these classes to bring more to the group table.
  2. Barbwarrior Augur

you also dont need tracker in ha since it tells you when named spawned but feel free to reroll
  3. Unsunghero Elder

This guy sounds like he is on TLP, you should make your thread there. Because if you are talking about an era where SoW and lockpicking was a big thing, that was a long time ago. You could say rangers were desired for pulling, CC'ing, powerleveling/AA farming (headshot), or melee or ranged dps depending on the era too, and that would have made more sense because that sounds more current

The reason the classes became more versatile was that there was less players, so classes needed to cover more ground, even with the help of mercs. No class is more "desireable" for group content than others, except say a basic role like a tank. Because modern group content isn't all that hard, and with enough players, even weird group compositions (with mercs) can do pretty much any quest or mission, as long as it has a basic tank and heals and is close to a full group

You are misunderstanding more desired to mean more required to perform a necessary function. Yeah, I'd love to have a crapload more players around so that could happen again too
    Rcalielie, Fallfyres, Axxius and 2 others like this.
  4. Time Burner 2 Augur

No Unsunghero, I am talking end game. It doesn't matter if these changes happened 47 years ago, my overall point, is that end game, some classes are not as desired and it's been that way for awhile. I know group content isn't hard, yada yada, it still does not change my overarching point, again that merging some of these classes would allow the people that play them to bring more to the group table.
  5. Time Burner 2 Augur

Barbwarrior, I don't play any of these classes, I don't need to reroll - is that really all you bring to the table as a suggestion? Sounds like you either aren't addressing my point overall, or you agree that some classes aren't very desirable.
  6. Barbwarrior Augur

if you don't like your class like another why not reroll or they have to change that class to suit you?:p
  7. Time Burner 2 Augur

Barbwarrior again, I don't have a class that needs a reroll. I'm talking about some classes not having as much group desirability as they used to, and a potential fix for that.
  8. Mayfaire Augur

No. Just no. Hands off my druid. :p

One of the things that keeps this game interesting after all these years are the various classes and the unique abilities they each bring to the table.
  9. Vlerg Augur

I kinda agree with the OP... abilities are getting less and less unique.

there's very little difference between a rogue and a berserker. I guess some people prefer swinging a large 2hander while other enjoy dual wielding dagger... but beside that minor graphical difference, the pretty much have the same role/utility ( or lack of utility).

Take out the FD/pull part wich is extremly minimal in modern EQ, there's hardly any difference between the monk and rogue/zerker.

if the wizard is the burst king for caster, and necro the sustain king... there's not much room to fit the mage in... a limited option for AE'ing? meh.

Enchanters and bards have been overlapping since classic.

However, it's waaay too late to change EQ dynamics now...
    Rcalielie and Motherlee like this.
  10. Time Burner 2 Augur

Give rangers BS, SoS, lock stuff and call them a wrap. Give clerics ports, DS and the ability to wear leather and self buff, and call them a wrap. Would save the devs work in the long haul.
    Motherlee likes this.
  11. Time Burner 2 Augur

Mayfaire, I see druids lfg a lot, the merc is more attractive to many groups than druid class. You would simply gain undead nukes, a few better heals and have the same basic character.
  12. Mayfaire Augur

I see *everyone* lfg a lot - that is not a compelling argument to wholesale get rid of classes. People are not having a hard time finding groups because of the class they play, imho.

Both clerics and druids can heal my warrior just fine, but I play the druid to get the added bennies of ports and debuffs. Other peeps may prefer the cleric for their unique abilities.
  13. Barbwarrior Augur

whenever they try to class balance it just ends up in one class saying there going to ragequit so if they merge some classes wonder how that would go down
  14. Mayfaire Augur

Most people love the class they play, so you'd see one heck of a lot more rage quits from a merger like this. IMO of course. :)
    Yinla and Elricvonclief like this.
  15. Time Burner 2 Augur

If nothing is fixed, often those peeps stay lfg and get bored and leave.
  16. Mayfaire Augur

Again, they aren't looking for groups because of their class. Merging them does nothing to fix it.

You want to fix the LFG problem, one merger will help: merge a bunch of the servers.
  17. Mayfaire Augur

I'm curious why you think it would help them to find groups. Do you believe that certain classes are shunned? lol
  18. Vlerg Augur

Classes no, but races yes...

I'm not inviting any gnomes to my group!
  19. Barbwarrior Augur

if theres room in my group I would let them in unless they cant out dps wiz merc which most classes should be able to do unless they are slacking at this point in game anyway
  20. Barbwarrior Augur

and most healers should be way better than merc unless there slacking so id love a real healer