Class for the Long Haul on Coirnav

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Everdork99, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Everdork99 Lorekeeper

I'm playing on Coirnav and having a blast. My main is a warrior just because that's what I used to play way back.

One thing I do dislike is a lot of doom and gloom about the future. Folks on the boards and even in game talking about the coming in of the servers population and its eventual death. I'm not a long time EQ fan really. I mean I used to play until a little after pop came out and then life took me away and it wasn't till recently that I came back.

So I'm not doing this with the thought towards restarting when the next TLP comes out. That said, I do realize if a vast majority of my servers player base leaves, well my odds on being able to do anything fun as a warrior probably are not too high.

What class should I make as a alt to get ready ....just in case this doom and gloom strikes one day?

My first thought is a Necromancer but then I thought of the 777 Necromancers I see all over the place along with mages and that maybe something else might be better.

What do you guys think?
  2. Mrjon3s Augur

If your gonna raid go Shaman, either knight, monk, or ranger. All these classes are real strong with raid gear.
  3. Blastoff Augur

Monk is the best all around dps class to roll on tlp. Monks are solid and near top of the parse on every fight from lvl 50-at least 85(i quit raiding around then). Wizards are great on tlp through pop, at least as long as the current rain bug gets fixed, if not then no one with a brain will ever roll another wizard on tlp. There are so many fights wizards are inferior to all melee classes in the early part of Everquest because the mob has some crazy resists. But they were at least strong on their niche raid fights, even if those fights are the only place in all of eq they excel. Once GoD hits forget about wiz for a while, its back to the classic posky days of spell immune mobs and feeling useful if there's a dt you can eat. If you don't like pulling then roll a rogue, they're solid for a long time too. Rangers are awesome pop era, after that its a lot of in and out of bow/melee, and being inferior to monks once again. Melee dps in general is where its at on tlp. Caster dps doesn't become reliable for a real long time. Necromancer is awesome the first few expansions, definitely a very cool solo farm toon, and strong on parse if they aren't getting resisted. Velious hits and you're gonna be doing a lot of twitching, but can definitely still win some parses when you aren't feeding clerics. Eventually the class gets completely trashed by the need for a 24 dot rotation, limited debuff slots on bosses, and being under-powered even played perfectly.
    Fhiele likes this.
  4. Machentoo Augur

I'd go shaman alt with a warrior main. You'll be able to farm quite a lot of stuff in a lot of expansions with just those two toons.
  5. Trevalon Augur

Shaman + Any melee but Rogue will do well, though you can never go wrong with Shaman+SK or Shaman+Monk...tried and true duos there.
  6. Machentoo Augur

People should read the OP, he has a warrior main, and he wants an alt to go with that.
  7. Mrjon3s Augur

I mained a warrior on phinny till DoN when all my friends burnt out and quit. I ended up playing my friends shaman till I burnt out too.
  8. FIsh Lips Augur

I hate reality too, it has a negative bias. Don't have to take our word for it, just look at what happened to the last two TLPs. Phinny is still alive at the upper end, some raiding guilds are still active but otherwise that server is on life support and they cannot backfill their attrition without cannibalizing.

Most of Agnarr's population left when Coirnav came out. Coirnav was never as popular as either server, and with the terrible xp rate and the "in the end there can be only one" raid mentality, it has been burning out fast and is already cannibalizing to keep raid guilds afloat. Several guilds are running only by virtue of their box armies, and that isn't going to cut it after OoW. Factor in the GUARANTEED new server in March for the 20th anniversary, because $$$, and you should arrive at the conclusion that negativity is warranted.

And before you think "hey, certainly DBG won't cannibalize a server to make another server", once again, look at Agnarr, and especially Coirnav. They didn't even wait for Agnarr to make it to LDON, they announced Coirnav in Feb, while Agnarr was still in Luclin. The server population defocused and nosedived in weeks, with everyone putting up bazaar mules and converting their plat to krono as fast as they could.

Yes, you should be worried, if you care about being on the server a long time. If you just want to putz around, I would go to Agnarr, the xp is faster so you can make more progress with less hours /played, and catch the next server while its still new.
  9. TheTone Elder

If you're maining a warrior and looking for an alt for the long haul - realistically - shaman is your best bet.

The combination of melee buffs, heals, DPS, and mana regen they possess is almost literally perfect to combine with a melee. The only issue you'll have is a lack of snares, but you can either root mobs or make a Inny shaman and get the quest necklace.

A druid will pair well until about lvl 40 when you realize that your duo is going to need a slow.
    A cleric will pair well also, but your DPS will be low and your fights will be slow.

If you make it to when mercs are unlocked, then you can realistically pick any alt to pair.
  10. Risiko Augur

First off, I don't buy in to the doom and gloom stuff about Coirnav eventually dying. They've predicted that about every single TLP server that has ever been created, and Phinigel is WAY beyond the predictions that everybody made on the forums.

But... If you want to play up an alt to accomodate your Warrior main, the best option is a shaman. The shaman will benefit you greatly.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

As long as you're starting a new char, I'd roll both Shaman and SK and see how you like the SK compared to a warrior. I have a 100 warrior on live but will never use anything but SK tank for the group game now.
  12. Machentoo Augur

I hesitate to post this, because I don't want it to be a self-fulfilling prophecy, but...

Phinigel is a little bit beyond predicitons, but not WAY beyond predictions. It's basically followed the same pattern as Fippy, with attrition picking up quite a lot from DoDH onward. Fippy had ~8 active guilds in DODH and was down to 4 in SoF. Phinigel had 17 active guilds in DODH and down to roughly 9 at the start of SoF. Both lost half their raiding population over the course of those expansions, especially PoR-TBS. If the pattern continues (and I hope it won't) Phinigel will be down to just ~2-4 guilds by HoT, and down to 1 not too far after that.

The end is not here yet, but the pattern is playing out.
  13. VandilIzer Augur

The best thing you can do is make friends, play with those friends and enjoy the game together, join a good guild with more people you like and do your best to have fun. Coirnav will be fine for a good long while, even if it does eventually lose allot of population, which all servers do, youre on auto unlocks you can still keep playing through new content which will keep at least some people coming back.

Phinny has recently actually seen a uptick in new people with SoF, of the ones who joined our guild 2 havent played in years but want to see SoF+, others either just started over or are returning. We have seen people who havent logged in since POP suddenly logging back on. The game population will go up and down and while slowly there will be more quiting than continuing you can still have a blast for a long time. No current TLP is dead, dieing or a ghost town like the trolls wish you to believe.
  14. VandilIzer Augur

I think and hope we will buck predictions on this one. While I agree that we have lost some guilds recently the content is getting harder to beat with minimal forces so any guild that was just barley hanging on is either merging or dying, after that wave we should see solid guilds mostly come forth stronger and be able to stay strong for at least the next few xpacks/year.

It's clearly impossible to say, and you may be right, but I think SoF has revitalized allot of peoples interest the game and the next few xpacks will hopefully do even more of that. But only time will tell.
  15. Machentoo Augur

Err, we haven't even started to hit the tipping point for hard content yet. There are a few doozeys in Crystallos that I think will give some of the current guilds some real problems, but underfoot, house of thule, and VoA all have raids with difficulty levels that far, far exceed anything most current TLP players have ever seen. I expect if anything, it will accelerate attrition as we hit those expansions.
  16. Risiko Augur

In all honesty though... do you want to play the modern day content? I'm just being straight here. If my guild makes it through HoT, I will be really happy with that. I am most interested in the content from Shadows of Luclin and House of Thule. I'm not a huge fan of the post HoT expansions. If my guild sticks around after HoT, ok I'll play through them. If they don't, then I guess I will just fade away. I'm not going to shed a tear about not getting to raid in the post HoT expansions.
  17. Machentoo Augur

Yes, I do. I have wanted to play all the way through every expansion and reach live since before Fippy launched. That was my goal on Fippy, we just missed it, and I earnestly hope Phinny makes the journey.

But thanks for making my point for me.
  18. FluttyMan Elder

play wizard, cleric or chanter. Easy to gear up, very useful in raids, and those classes will always be in demand.

Do not play SK / SHAMAN like people tell you here, they go a dime a dozen on every server.
  19. Machentoo Augur

The guy is looking to play an alt with his warrior main. Who presumably already raids.

Cleric is a good option, but wizard or enchanter would be absolutely horrible duo with a war.
  20. Risiko Augur

That's fine. I just know that I went back to Live years ago for the post-HoT era, and I wasn't impressed... at all. But, to each their own. I won't hate on you for wanting to play through it.

Like I said, if my guild is still around after HoT, I will be there with them. If not, I have characters level 100+ on Live servers already.