Class Epics, are they still useful in modern Live Servers?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Foxpaws Dragonlover, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Foxpaws Dragonlover Lorekeeper

Long ago, when the content was current, I did the Ranger Epics. It was painful grind, though glorious to finally have them in hand.
    But having been out of the loop since end of PoP, I wonder if the 1.0 class epics are still worth doing?
    I'd heard there are later epic teirs as well, but I know nothing about them or if they're worth doing as well.
    Any info or opinions on them is welcome.
  2. Alnitak Augur

Epic 2.0 are still meaningful for SK's, Shamans, Bards. Other classes are not that lucky: Epics and effects fade away past lvl 85.
    Foxpaws Dragonlover likes this.
  3. minimind The Village Idiot

Berserker epic 1.0 and 2.0 are pretty much the best weapons you can get at their levels (46 and 70). This is even more true when you apply the best available weapon augs to the 2.0 (which can hold two augs). The click from the 2.0 continues to be useful until the berserker achieves 100% critical hit rates.
    Hobs and Foxpaws Dragonlover like this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

If your into item nostalgia in the game then get them. Hang them on the wall of your house if they are not the best weapon for you.

They also might be useful for a player of that level.

Or some just like the look of them

In today's game its so easy to do any of them with our higher levels now that its no where near as onerous as it used to be.

There are three epics per class, a 1.0 (from the Ruins of Kunark expansion pack), a 1.5 (from the Omens of War expansion pack), and a 2.0 (also from Omens of War) These are also listed in your /ach window.

Then there is An Epic Retelling which will give you augs that you can put on your higher level weapon and it will look like your epics

You have to have done the epics before you can do the Retelling

https://bonzz.com/dawn.htm
    Rijacki likes this.
  5. Annastasya Augur

There are also technically Epic 2.5s. i don't remember if there is a quest involved, but you get "invisible augment slots" in your epic 2.0s by gaining certain items that drop from Demiplane of Blood events. These enhance the effects of most epics slightly.

The Cleric Epic 2.0/2.5 is still useful at max level as a clicky.

Even at level 120, there are plenty of Epic quests that i would not call "easy". This is primarily because the difficulty of many steps in these quests is not so much the defeat of an npc, but the managing to spawn said npc, or have the luck and patience to get a rare drop from a rare npc, often in a zone with a very long spawn cycle, that is perma camped or contested.

As for the Cleric Epic 1, i still carry mine around. Because we get a Resurrection AA that casts faster, it was not particularly useful for many years, but then the developers went back and made that AA cost mana, so there are still some very small number of situations where a mana-less slow cast resurrection would be useful.
    Rijacki likes this.
  6. Flatchy Court Jester

The reason I did 1.0 long ago was just to do it. To see the story and go through it. I was glad later on that I had so I could do the epic retelling task for the weapon ornaments. I ran through it twice so I could get the one hand and two hand version. Those are the only weapon ornaments I use. My shaman has his too and I know beastlord does but don think I have done that task for him yet.
    minimind likes this.
  7. Roxas MM Augur

ranger epic 1 has a slow proc which i still used at level 90 or so, even in raids at times.
    minimind and Annastasya like this.
  8. Foxpaws Dragonlover Lorekeeper

Good' ol Earthcaller. Love those swords.
  9. Emilari UI Designer

Cleric 2.0 is just as useful as SHM, SHD, or BRD.
    Hobs, minimind and Annastasya like this.
  10. Tucoh Augur

minimind likes this.
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The Monk 2.0 clicky is still useful today. The Monk Epic 1.0 is great to stick on a spam button if you don't have a haste clicky and don't have haste from somewhere else, but after getting access to better haste reliably, the attack buff portion is less useful after you level past it.