Check Brother's Island for AFK *BOT* group on your server.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ratbo Peep, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Silv Augur

I'm confused at which point I ever said I don't understand. Acting like a kindergartener though and throwing insults was certainly not necessary.

I handled a group the other day. And even made a comment about the price of their farm item being altered b/c their operation was shut down. So, tell me more about this mysterious EULA violation that I don't know anything about. :rolleyes:
  2. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

But I heard that server is rapidly growing! ..at least, read it on the boards.
    Iila likes this.
  3. Kellaer Augur

When you're done rolling your eyes, perhaps you can direct them to read the EULA aka Terms of Service, located here: https://www.soe.com/termsofservice.vm

In particular, part 10:

You can also google for Everquest EULA, and you'll get one that is outdated, but says the same thing. SOE and Daybreak have not changed their stance on cheating since then.

4. Silv Augur

It's not my job to tell someone else to read the same thing that each and every one of us click on every day. Even if I did, they wouldn't respond to my tells anyhow. :)

I'm not advocating for them, I'm just sick of the holier than though attitude people have in this thread. It's a really ugly character trait. I'm pretty sure that everyone on earth that isn't a sociopath knows that cheating is cheating any way you splice it. So, come off that EULA high horse already.
  5. moogs Augur

I would encourage you to read this: https://books.google.com/books?id=z3VP7MYKqaIC&

Exploits and cheating can destroy an economy. A broken economy can take down an MMO. Therefore, exploits and cheating are a threat to the game's survival. Nobody's calling for a witch hunt. Nobody cares about your 3-box team nor mine. (You may have missed some sarcasm about players who do not immediately respond to tells.) It's not about Wild West justice and harassment of innocents.

There are accounts logged in and "active" for 24 hours a day - this can be and has been observed - operating in a way which is physically impossible for humans (idiots die in South Korea all the time because they play games instead of sleeping) and doing spectacular damage to the game. Those are the accounts that we're talking about. They make themselves obvious, they have no social connections, and there's nothing wrong with calling them out for what they are and having them removed from the servers when proof is obtained by Daybreak's staff by looking at the list of processes running on the machine. There's nothing self-righteous about that.
  6. Kellaer Augur

It isn't a high horse. I don't want cheaters in my game, and I have Daybreak's support on that stance. If people are allowed to bot to get exp/loot, then I would like the same advantage. But I can't, since I compromise my access to playing the game by doing so. I can't make it any clearer than that.
    moogs likes this.
  7. Silv Augur

And I can't make it any more clear that I agreed with the points made about not supporting cheating.

It must be a really dull world though if someone can't consider [or even read] the devil's advocate side of an argument. I'm not as naive as you have made me out to be unfortunately.

All I'm asking is how you can explain how EQ has survived for 16 years when this cheating has been going on for 15 years. Not sure how this has devolved into something so dramatic though.

ps. Half of the responses in this thread were about training and dealing with bot groups so your sarcasm has gone unappreciated. Apologies!
  8. Necromonious Augur

Interesting ethics discussion. Someone gave a speeding ticket example, just because cops aren't around doesn't make speeding legal. But the thing that keeps people in check from going, say, what they perceive as a "safe illegal" 15miles over the limit, is the fear of cops up ahead.

If people knew for sure there would be no cops anywhere, speeding would be rampant, probably dangerously so at some times. Because with no policing ever in the future, it is no longer a law, basically.

The same goes for botting. If everyone know botting will never be policed again, it will become more and more common until it's a common function of the game, like some old mmo's that I remember
  9. moogs Augur

I don't think we're going to agree on this subject so it's probably not worth another 6 pages. Anyway it's not going to harm my opinion of you. We're cool.
    Silv likes this.
  10. Silv Augur

You never know... this thread could go down as a shining example in some Ethics 101 class in the future! Another 6 pages could be fun. We'd all be famous :D
  11. moogs Augur

Be careful what you wish for. This is the Internet.

Speaking of ethics, and just in case I didn't make it clear before: I would not personally go so far as to sponsor a hacking attack on the website of a video game cheating tool. (I wouldn't feel too bad for them if someone else did, though.)
  12. Iila Augur

I'd place my money on it getting godwined well before that point. Or voldermort coming in and smearing his 'opinion' all over the place.
    Random_Enchanter likes this.
  13. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

$3.50 says that "opinion" will also have some reference to the shire in it. Tree Fiddy!
    Iila likes this.
  14. moogs Augur

I'm so lost. I'm out. Well done.
  15. Goth Augur

Like i said before if they wanted to stop the cheating they could. Its only one program that infects EQ. problem is i am sure it will effect the bottom line significantly.

$$$$$ is the reason that they will never stop the program that shall not be named.

EQ is one of the oldest MMOs out there and it is also one of the only MMOs out there that have free cheating programs.
  16. Lily Augur

It's bothering me too.
  17. Ratbo Peep Augur

All you are publicly stating, is a total lack of knowledge of how EQ and botting even works.
    No one would bot in an instance because there are no mob-respawns.Therefore nothing to farm after a few minutes, The rest of your post reflects a similar shortsightedness.
    It's been a long standing policy in the EULA that using 3rd party programs to gain an advantage is totally prohibited. Thinking that banning cheaters is hurting any "bottom line" is very short sighted. In the long term - preserving the integrity of the game is of paramount import to the bottom line. It's not your place to rewrite policy based on your.

Those AFK exping with pets and mercsare indeed just "hurting themselves" mostly.
    Botting is a whole different animal. I'm not surprised it doesn't bother you -you seem very self-interested to the point of being myopic. I'm long since done with needed anything personally from Brother's Isle - but that's beside the point. AFK bot farmers radically alter bazaar values and Krono sales. And that hurts our game in the long haul.
    There is a reason they put that stuff in the EULA you know....
    -R
    Mintalie likes this.
  18. Ratbo Peep Augur

My only problem here is that we can't really shut down a good bot operation.
    The cleric will release to bind, gate back to the campfire, and rez and rebuff the group, and normal operations will commence soon. All via automation.
    0% rezzes mean little - these toons are are max level /AA by now, It would take a effort for hours and hours to impact them in that manner. CS can put them to bed in 10 minutes though.
    -R
  19. Ratbo Peep Augur

More lack of basic understanding of how EQ works,
    Why would a 6 toon bot group need any all access accounts at all?
    Definately not for a J-Merc - they use no mercs.
    A 6 toon bot-group, fully geared in TDS tier one gear (non prestige), can easily face-roll that camp on Brother's Island.
    He would need one all access account. This for the 24/7 bazaar mule only.
    -R
    moogs likes this.
  20. Mugsie Elder

You act like a winding thread about EQ actions could be remembered for years....

SONNUVA...