Cheating in Everquest

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Abec, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronthorn Oakenarm Augur

I had a player once accuse me of Cheating to our guild leader said they saw me with Green Name like GM's had, since i never cheated this really just bothered me and our Guild Leader didnt understand why. No clue why they said they saw me with a Green Name
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

Having never been looking at myself when they did it, I can't say if the name changes color or not, but . . .

Certain kinds of petitions prompt customer service to move your character to their/another account to correct problems. They do whatever mojo they do to fix it then return the character to your account. I have had mild convulsions about 3 or 4 times over the last dozen years logging into my account and not seeing my character . . . until I realized it was because they were resolving my petition.
  3. Warpiggs Augur

I had a petition in once and got a tell from the GM to log off my account so they could look into it. After they were done fixing my problem I logged back in and had the Green name stuff going on. I think I relogged or zoned or something and it went away.
    Leerah likes this.
  4. EverChanter Augur

Yea, sometimes when a GM logs on the account to do something, the tag isn't turned off (they forget too, something else kept it up, etc.) Had it happen on an old account and it lasted 3-4 days, even showing up on the /gm button.
  5. Kreacher Augur

You can get around the see invis mob by disconnecting your router, and moving past the mob. Perhaps they did this. When they reconnect a short time later, they'll just suddenly "appear" to you.
  6. Ishtass Augur

whenever I lose connectivity I appear where I was when I last had a connection, if I've moved around. Hasn't happened in awhile though since I switched providers though.
  7. EverChanter Augur

Used to be a good ole trick many on Sullon Zek would do when they were getting rocked in some pvp, not quite as fun as watching people jump off the cliff in the overthere tho.
  8. Hatsee Augur

Yes, obviously the answer is that they used some elaborate way to get past the mobs. The enchanter didn't lull or mez it and memblur, nope had to be hacks.
  9. Leerah Augur

My favorite bugs are the run speed bug which makes you go faster than bard speed and the one where you zone into the guild lobby/hall and can't see someone until she moves.
  10. Leerah Augur

Wizards' ability to decess others to zoneline.
  11. Falos Augur

It is unfortunate when people falsely accuse others of cheating / hacking when they are just using in-game legit abilities or being summoned by others. The false accusations of people that dont fully understand the game sadly drown out the real claims of hacking of other players (and there most certainly are still quite a few people out there that auto bot their toons)

One thing that should be noted is, if someone warps to a location (though as i understand it warping is mostly a non factor in eq now) they have zero particle effects on them.. IE if you see someone just magically appear somewhere and there is no GM nearby and no campfire or guildbanner nearby and they have zero particle effects on them - they either warped.. or just logged in, However if a magician COTH'd them you will see a particle effect around their character for a few seconds which proves they legitimately arrived at their destination.

Personally I've found it's almost pointless to call out hackers anymore because often times the guilds they happen to reside in will not remove them for it, and unless they are doing something that blatently triggers SoE's minor hack detection ssoftware they will be allowed to keep playing EQ.

Personally I mostly keep quiet about people now and just hold on to everything I learn.... when I finally retire from EQ a lot of people that cheat on my server are going to be very unhappy with me lol.
  12. JolineSZ Augur

1. As far as I know you can camp with merc up and come back and merc will be there. So no need to prepare anything.
    2. What is so weird about someone, who knows he can beat the named easily, to bind at his spot and port the whole group to bind?
    3. When I know I didn't do any wrong and would get a tell about cheating, I would do what those people did, ignore it. Why should someone start to defend himself without reason?

Many times people accuse others of cheating because they simply have no deeper clue about other classes or how things work. Not saying you are one of those.
  13. Orablast Elder

yes, but the group already there killing for hours are the ones who spawned that named that you just swooped in to kill.

I hate this, "I can kill it because I can" mentality that so many boxers seemed to have developed.
  14. Hatsee Augur

This appears to be the only thing this group of people did wrong, a named spawned and they went for it despite not having been the ones to have cleared the PH's.

Not really against the EULA and GM's probably wont care. But ignorant nonetheless.
  15. Elricvonclief Augur

I really don't thick cheating happens very often anymore. At least, I've not seen it on BB. The exception might be the map trick, but anything overt I believe alerts GMs.

As for guilds tolerating it, any guild concerned with their reputation will instantly remove folks using.
    Sinestra likes this.
  16. Sinestra Augur

I think there are still people cheating and there is nothing that will ever stop it other than shutting the game down permanently. I do think though that when someone reports someone for cheating (I got reported once for hate stepping on my SK account) when they investigate and find the person wasn't cheating, they suspend the person that reported them. It's only fair.
  17. Fenthen aka Rath

I believe being able to target something that is not within your range will throw an alert as well, unless you used an /assist type of deal.
  18. Orablast Elder

I had this happen to me in Argath today. And to be honest, it happens a lot now, probably due to the stupid hunter achievement & human greed.

Sure, SOE wants everyone to play nice, but that is the problem isn't it. Nobody wants to play nice anymore and you can get a sense of the entitlement just from members posting on these forums.

"Sure, my group was here for hours killing the PH's, but you're welcomed to kill our the named, because I was AFK taking a leak, and SOE allows first aggro to engage."

Seems legit to me.
    Uxtalzon likes this.
  19. Eomund New Member

In order to be sure someone is hacking, you have to see them do it at least twice. Anything else could be considered a glitch. It's fairly easy to see if someone is hacking if you are on a Ranger, Wizard, Shaman, Enchanter, or Bard. All you have to do is nab their target in extended target's window and don't tip them off. Bind sight and sit back and watch. Assuming they don't lag out by being too far away, they will usually reveal themselves by warping when they think nobody is watching. You will see all of their toons pop onto the same spot in a different location, more than once. If they are using it maliciously, it is quite annoying.
  20. DirtyGurtie Lorekeeper

I dont know anything about the warping, but having been back for only a few days now, im shocked at the blatant afk leveling lol-go to the Hole, the corridor at the bottom, and theres a few parked at random points with piles of corpses around them-same thing in spider caves in roost, CoM, GE, etc-i ended up doing ldons with a box and a merc to get some aa's, because i got tired of going from place to place only to find it camped with people afk. I thought this was against policy, but it seems pretty common:(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.