chat filters *sigh* - main window

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by eq_fan, Oct 17, 2016.

1. eq_fan Journeyman

so I'm trying to turn off messages like in my main window like:

"you crush alligator for 5 damage" <white text>
    "an alligator bits you for 6 damage" <red text>

I found options-->chat and I have selected "hide" for every place a setting is set. in some cases there is no "show" or "hide" and I can't seem to affect the selection.

I restarted EQ and still the bloody messages show up. How do I get them to filter out, or not show?
    Peter_The_great likes this.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Open a new window, click in chat area in that window and filter to that window, minimize and tuck it away.
  3. Vanrau Augur

Those messages are under melee in the right click menu on your chat windows. Your hits, NPC hits you etc... Like CatsPaws said, filter those into another new window and minimize the window.
  4. Drusi Augur

I could have sworn there was a way to completely turn off various messages(hits, misses, spells, pet msgs, etc) instead of redirecting them to a minimized window.

I vaguely remember reading a patch message about 10 years ago which mentioned some network optimization so that turned off messages would not get sent at all from the Sony servers.

Was I dreaming ? :)
  5. Gialana Augur

There are certain message types which can be turned off completely. You can turn off your misses, other people's hits, critical messages, etc. If I remember correctly, I wasn't able to find an option to turn off my hits nor hits me. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, you'll have to filter them to an unused and preferably minimized chat window in order to no see them.
  6. moogs Augur

7. Gundolin Augur

Sorry I can't remember the full path and I can't load EQ right now, but to turn on and off other peoples hits, your hits etc, it is not through the chat filters. Its in the "Options" menu.

In the basic User Interface there is a windows bar along the top. It has several buttons such as inventory, mercenary, and "Options". (The symbol on the options button looks like a little "nut" kind of). Choose options and within options there are several tabs, one of the tabs will allow you to turn on or off other peoples hits as well as their spell casting.

I'll look for it later tonight if you can't find it.

Sorry I don't think this post was very helpful but once you get in the options menu and start poking around it is fairly easy to figure out.
  8. Gundolin Augur

Ok I logged in and looked. :)

If you go to the

1. Window Select Tool Bar (Alt W to bring up) And choose
    2. Options
    3. Chat (fifth tab on the top)
    4. Select category - melee
    5. Then you need to look through which ones you want to show or hide.
    However I don't believe you will be able to filter out your own personal hits. I believe you can only filter out others and pets. :( sorry.
    elemental77 and Drusi like this.
  9. elemental77 New Member

Thaaaaaank Youuuuuu. Having the filters ONLY turn things ON was making me angry.

10. Niri New Member

I'm pretty sure a lot of this lag is caused by all the melee / caster message spam we are unable to turn off. Filtering it to another window is all good etc... but those messages are still being processed, so it does nothing to reduce lag.
    I'd like the option to turn them all on/off.
    Toukan likes this.
  11. Jeffy123456 New Member

I’ve filtered out all “other” but am still seeing other damage.
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

The problem I realized with what other people have posted is that the recent adds to filters are causing spam on every character I have. I am going to move away from filtering spam out of main chat and instead scaling main chat down and leaving the spam there. I'll put the chats I want to see into new windows.

Right click the main chat window. Click add tab or create new chat window. Right Click on that tab or new chat window. Add in the chat filters you want (group, guild, etc). Right click on the original main chat tab/window, disable highlight for new messages.
  13. DillyBar Augur

I no longer see the message for hailing or starting an attack.
  14. Shanarias Augur

I did that for "Bard Spam" when I am in the Lobby.
  15. Niri New Member

I had the same problem, but I think it's lag. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.
  16. fransisco Augur

My "main" window is my spam window. I make new windows and put what I want into them.
    Peter_The_great likes this.
  17. DillyBar Augur

nope, I go under my combat tab and see it. I got it fixed now though.

18. Cuzon Elder

I feel like that is what I need to start doing. Would be faster to create a window and filter what I want to it, instead of having to filter out all of the junk I dont.
    fransisco likes this.